Should government leave religions alone?

Oh, sure. All tentacled creatues look the same to you, Bear-Who-Washes. :unamused:

No, I’m just selective about the kinds of dirt I tolerate.

I know, eh?

Well, he did. You can look it up.

Then interpret as you see fit.

Still waiting for your answer to Genesis 18 btw… :tumble:

Still not clear what you were on about. Are you dismayed that ten righteous men couldn’t be found in Sodom?

You go to a place like that, you better watch your ass.

You’re giving me the I don’t know what you’re talking about defense? :unamused:

Try harder, man.

Seriously. Spell it out. In the story, God gives Sodom every possible break and they go on raping people. What would any self respecting God do?

Sodom and Gomorrah, Sodom and Gomorrah, cities full of hated and lust…

It’s spelled out in the North Korea thread (see link above).

To recap:

One more try, then I give up.

I dug out the book of fairy tales on the Interweb to see what the fuss is about. I looked up Genesis 18, but the story didn’t end there so I had to read Genesis 19 too. Fascinating! Some questions though…

18:20 The Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”

God had to drag itself to some villages to investigate if the boys were naughty or nice? That’s not very omniscient nor godly is it?

19:1 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening…

So God decided it didn’t want to go after all?

19:8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them…

Now that is a great man with true integrity.

19:12 The two men said to Lot, “Do you have anyone else here – sons-in-law, sons or daughters, or anyone else in the city who belongs to you? Get them out of here…”

Now, verse 19:4 said that “all the men from every part of the city of Sodom – both young and old – surrounded the house”, which means that his sons-in-law or sons would also have to be among the rapey men that wanted to force their biblical penises into some divine asses or have a bukake on their angelic faces. But that is ok as long as you are related to Lot? Great justice indeed.

19:14 So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry his daughters.

And they didn’t even have to be his actual in-laws?

19:21 He said to him, “Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of…”

God appeared out of nowhere and had apparently wanted to destroy a neighboring town too had Lot not chosen to run to it. Why?

19:24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah…

If the two angels have only been in Sodom, how did God know all men in Gomorrah were also lusting after some sweet man-holes? And what about the innocent babies, Snoopies and Garfields?

19:31-35 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there are no man around here to give us children – as is the custom all over the earth. Let’s get our father to drink wine and sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.” That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up. The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

So Lot’s daughters raped their father while he was asleep. But I guess as long as they are blood-related it’s perfectly ok?

Someone should make a movie of that story. Ticks all the boxes.

Some “Religions” are plain barbaric. Do we say nothing? Oh …Multi-Culturism… hmmm. I would criticize any ideology that holds a belief system that promotes cruelty… so I am not anti one specific ideology alone.
Warning: Cruelty to Animals shown in this :frowning_face:

There are already a few, but disappointingly none of them has any deusiality in it…

I know not of what you speak…

Dear Badges,
Shouldn’t this last tangent be split off to the Another Boring Wankoff Slagging Organized Religion thread???

No need, we would have too many split threads. Imagine we could split many of yours
Maybe a " sanctimonious , expletive thread " ? I don’t thing swearing is a substitute for wit, but I have not said anything because we all have opinions…and you are entitled to yours, just less offence would be considerate imo.
Seems there is an argument , relevant to the Title , in that Government should perhaps legislate cruelty for actions carried out under any Religious excuse. I could explain further , but I haven’t the time or the Crayons. Peace out.

Can we all agree that Sodom had it coming?

The Bible depicts Jehovah as both just and merciful. You can’t be both of these things at the same moment. They contradict each other. So He has to alternate.

It’s inconsistent, but perhaps consistency is overrated? Which would you throw out: the justice or the mercy?

Sheesh, Theology 101: the Almighty is not bound by mortal law. :roll:

We’ll leave Pyomorrah for the IP forum, I suppose. :slight_smile:

The hyped-up kindergarten story