Show Your Age with a Video Game

2 Likes

6 Likes

Heiankyo Alien on the Gameboy - this game made me absolutely furious lol

Slime World on the Atari Lynx – Such a cool concept - incredibly neat game, so much fun playing this

California Games on the Atari Lynx – I played the heck out of the BMX and Surfing game - so much fun. I must have blown through so many batteries before the “rechargeable” ones were available at RadioShack. Couldn’t tell if my fingers hurt more from playing on the handheld Lynx or from just testing the battery charge on each one by squeezing the ends of the battery super hard to read the green line down the side.

2 Likes

Spent hours in the arcade playing this

4 Likes

Hah! You had bitmapped graphics? You youngsters. In my day we emulated stuff like that with custom character sets.

Did a Bresenham line-draw implementation in 8086 assembler for amusement value. Such speed!

Anyone recognise this? I wasted hours and hours on it.

1 Like

Whether accurate or not, often cited as the first Easter egg in a game…and an important plot point of Ready Player One.

1 Like

loved that too – if i remember correctly, there’s a trick where you can hold down start and AB or something the moment Tails gives the thumbs up on that intro screen and it gives you access to choose different stages

1 Like

It was a trip finding it the first time! I think someone told me about it or I read it somewhere before getting in, but not sure. I remember the process pretty clearly, I could easily do it now :slight_smile: I slayed those ducks (dragons) in probably every permutation possible

1 Like

my brother had a packard bell desktop which ran windows 3.1 and i remember watching him install Doom using like 16 floppy disks - we still have all the boot disks.

3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t mean to take a dump on your choice of games or anything tike that :peace_symbol:.

That specific game simply looked horrible in my opinion, especially the enemies. As far as I can tell, that was the time when, luckily only for a short while, it became fashionable to use digitized (scanned) photos for the graphics assets. I think before that these assets were mostly hand-drawn, after that many of them were computer generated 3D renderings, before moving to mostly texture-mapped “real” 3D.

My best guess what happened at that time is that exciting new technology was widely available (scanners) but the limitations of PCs back then made the use very sub-optimal:

1. The game color palette was limited to 256 colors. That’s working well if you draw by hand, because you can plan ahead better what colors to use. But mapping all scanned assets to one game color palette… results in some serious coloring problems. Taking away the advantage of more natural look from the photo scans.

2. The resolution was limited to 320*200 pixels. That’s working (slightly) better if you draw by hand: then you can decide what details to include or even intensify/enlarge. When scanning… well, at such low resolutions you get more of an blob showing the rough idea of colors - than actual details. And for colors see #1.

Bonus: here is the manual, showing all enemies in detail

1 Like
2 Likes

UUDDLRLRBAstart.

2 Likes

Rastan.

This thread inspired me to find a ROM and play it online.

I really liked in the opening level, how you needed to do this special jump manoeuvre to access the cave below to get the big weapon, and then subsequently rain carnage.

4 Likes

I can still hear it in my head.

1 Like

I couldn’t but when I clicked on the video I recognized the sounds right away.

William’s Defender! I miss that game.

2 Likes

Does Dark Tower count?

2 Likes

Loved that one. I played it so much I rubbed all the symbols off the buttons. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I played Star Fleet so much on the IBM PC Jr, that I’m pretty sure that that was the majority of what it did in it’s lifetime.