Singapore executes man for trafficking 2.2 lbs of weed

Taipei’s crime rate is lower than Singapore’s.

Taipei’s homicide rate is more than quadruple Singapore’s.
Does Taiwan have a justified reputation for safety? - Taipei Times

The 20 Safest Cities in the World (businessinsider.com)

1 Like

Is this including vehicular homicide?

You mean when the Japanese controlled Singapore? After that Singapore was going to join with Malaysia but decided not to and became an independent country with a democratic elected government.

Why cherrypick homicide?

That economist ranking includes more than crime. It adds a host of hand-wavy indicators.
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

So articulate PM of Singapore was

Singapore is not a democracy. Ask your favorite political scientist. You need a transfer of power, which Singapore has never had.

You don’t need to treat your citizenry like babies to have a low crime rate.

1 Like

That’s an important benchmark, but it’s not absolute.

Really? Chief Minister to PM it certainly has. Ever hear of David Marshall?

Seems Japan just now is having a bunch of mass shootings… from a country where guns are hard to get.

Under the British? Are you serious? The PAP hasn’t been out of power since independence. That’s a requirement.

I prefer Taiwan over Singapore. Feeling is more real, Taiwan feels like a country with real indentity, meanwhile Singapore is a nice arrange city. I like people from both places. Hong Kongers always seem bitter to me, so prefer Singapore over it.

I prefer Taiwan over Singapore by far. But for its authenticity and chaos. Ladies aren’t as fake either. 5Cs dominate Singapore dating (club, car, condo, credit card and career). But safety and governance? Taiwan is freer certainly but higher quality of life?
Taiwan compared to Singapore (mylifeelsewhere.com)

Singaporean ladies are fake, whole city is a golden cage

That is probably the root of all conversations: “Quality of life”. A subjective thing to be sure.

There are people that really do enjoy living like retired folks in nursing homes. Paranoid of the outside world and always wanting to be ants in a colony that promises to provide. And there are people that really do enjoy freedom and human rights. All over the globe there are vastly different styles covering the entire range. Singapore seems more like a strata retiree state where they limit your freedom but promise wealthy infrastructure. That little basic give to the public, in my opinion, doesnt justify their way of being. By a long shot. Too oppressive. But yes, they are clean(er). I respect their efforts of turning sewage and sea water into drinking water. truly.

Anytime I want to be yelled at by police with machine guns in psuedo tanks on the street, I will head back to singapore and take pictures in public :joy: But I couldnt justify raising my children in a country than slowly murders people for plants. Or any number of things they are, let’s just say, a tad extreme on. Singapore has a ways to go to be considered developed in my opinion. Obviously I am referring to ethics, not construction projects.

I don’t disagree but have sensibilities that were formed in numerous countries where human rights and democracy are valued heavily. They weren’t forged in communal violence, Konfrontasi, the Malay insurgency, the breakup with Malaysia, etc. etc. So when LKY mentioned " you can’t eat human rights" I get it. I don’t agree with it but understand it. I don’t buy into the Asian values thing whether it is Singapore or DPP or KMT fed. :laughing:

2 Likes

While fair, at some point such groups of people that claim they are the top shit (or even just intelligent) eventually have to act the part :slight_smile:

The only Asian leader in recent times (like last 40 years) I respect on human rights and not pandering to their base was South Korea’s Kim Dae Jung. Singapore is ethnically tolerant but the Chinese run the show. DPP is Hoklo X1000 chauvinism and KMT leans toward mainlander chauvinism.

Kim was truly a statesman who almost died for his commitment to democracy in SK.

Certainly not Greaseball (A-bian) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . The KMT used to call Shih Ming-te the King of the Pirates but I think that term aptly describes A-bian. LTH from the inside I guess but not nearly as inspiring as Kim.

Asian values as such do not exist. Asians can be extremely greedy, unethically to level where they disrespect core Western values of labor and human rights. They throw idiom of Asian values to save face. To justify own primitivism and hide personal responsibility under Western idea of cultural tolerance.

Whenever you hear our Asian values someone tries to manipulate you.

There are christians - western values, which build modern world. And there are non Western values.

Well we know the “Asian values” thing was falsified with Taiwan’s flourishing democracy. But what explains why East Asian societies have lower crime rates than Western societies? There is something about being Asian that makes a difference.

Lee Kuan Yew’s best trait was that he was a keen observer. He noticed that Chinese-speaking Chinese had crappier jobs, but were nonetheless more confident than English-speaking Chinese. The English-speaking were servile dogs, despite better pay.

That’s why he made everyone bilingual–English so you can eat, your native language for confidence.