So you got past the asking

[quote=“Erhu”]I hate it when people are anal about time. What’s 5 minutes? Even 1 hour late is no big deal to me.

It’s when guys say “call you tomorrow” and then they don’t call until a week later that irks me. I never know how to react. If I seem bothered about it, it gives the impression that I care too much. If I don’t mention it, then I feel like I’m allowing the guy to disrespect me.

What’s the answer? Why do guys never call when they say they will? And how do you guys expect the girl to act when you finally do get around to it?[/quote]

I will email you my answer tomorrow. :wink:

You still haven’t e-mailed her, have you? :laughing:

I don’t quite get excuses. If you’re not interested, then bloody say so. Men complain about women playing mind games and then say crap like “I’ll call you later.” when really they mean “I’m going to drop your number into the first trash bin I see.”

Hell no, ImanIOU!! I’m STILL waiting for Jack’s email! :fume: :fume:
…waiting by the computer with a big box of tissue. I keep checking my internet connection to make sure it’s working properly.

As for the calling thing, I’ve found that the guy usually does call…eventually… One boyfriend of years past I guess just got lost out in space for about 6 months. Then I get a call out of the blue: “hey baby, I really miss you, I’ve been thinking about you so much, I’ve just been too nervous to call you. You seeing anyone right now?” :wanker:

Yeah, they always do call, it’s just by the time they get around to it, I’m just not sure I’m interested anymore. Men, I love 'em, but most of them are just a little bit :loco:

Every Taiwanese guy I’ve dated has been late. My current boyfriend is late for everything … and he rarely calls and tells me if he’s going to be late … I have to call and find out from him that he’s either not even on the way, he’s gone off to some random place without having the courtesy to inform me in advance, or has just spaced out … and we live together and still have this problem. He also spends inordinate amounts of time in the bathroom (although I spend more time with the facial products than he does … hehe). I think it’s just a general flakiness all around … not just limited to girls.

Remind me never to ask you out.

I’m a busy guy, and it’s also a major operation for me to get to anywhere where people usually want to meet. Leave me standing on a corner for an hour and you’re dead meat. What am I going to do? Go shopping? :loco: Or sit in a bar and decide that the waitress, girl on the next table, or ex-gf whose number I find while playing with my phone because I’m bored is more appealing than you?

Wasting a guy’s time is the ultimate in taking him for granted. We’re not being ‘anal’ when we expect you to show up at the time agreed, we’re annoyed at making time in our days for you and finding that you don’t care enough to actually be there. It’s a sign of flakiness which indicates that there’s no way we have a future together.

Showing up late says, “Your time is not as important as mine.” It’s a selfish, solopsistic attitude, and that’s a turn off. This applies to job interviews and other appointments as well as dating. Show some respect for other people.

Remind me never to ask you out…

I’m a busy guy, and …
…Wasting a guy’s time is the ultimate in taking him for granted. We’re not being ‘anal’ when we expect you to show up at the time agreed, we’re annoyed at making time in our days for you and finding that you don’t care enough to actually be there. It’s a sign of flakiness which indicates that there’s no way we have a future together.[/quote]

Umm, I was saying that I don’t care if I have to wait 5 min - 1 hour for someone. Geesh! The whole world doesn’t revolve around you, Loretta. :stuck_out_tongue:

According to you. I don’t take it personally if someone is late. Some people are just bad managers of time. My father is a great example of this. He’s a wonderful guy, good heart and normally very considerate to others. Everyone loves him…but he can’t get anywhere on time to save his life.

I’d rather date an easygoing guy like him, than a time nazi who takes it personally if someone is 5 minutes late.

I wouldn’t take it personally if someone was 5 minutes late … but not 30 minutes or more late without the courtesy of a phone call. It especially peeves me when you’ve agreed on a time and place to meet, you get there on time, and IF they call you and tell you that they haven’t even left the house yet, that is the ultimate in rudeness. You should know in advance if you’re going to be late and tell your “date” before they go out the door so they avoid sitting wherever and waiting for god knows how long. I’ve found that Chinese/Taiwanese are the worst at this. Is it flakiness? Just bad manners? Who knows … but being here for four years and having gone out on many dates and with regular friends, they are habitually late (more than just 5 minutes … on average 20-30 minutes). The thing that pisses me off the most is that they see absolutely nothing wrong with it. My boyfriend is absolutely clueless when I get angry at him for being late all the time … totally clueless. He can be really sweet and even admit when he’s wrong, bless his heart, but this one just goes right over his head … sigh

It’s one thing to be 5 or 10 minutes late. But when a girl keeps me waiting for over an hour, that’s another thing entirely. And I am not being a “time Nazi” to get pissed off about it. I can understand getting caught in a traffic jam or something, but if that happens - phone ahead, “I’m sorry, I’m going to be late.” It’s simple courtesy. Some people have no manners.

It doesn’t?? :astonished:

Why the hell not? The first thing you have to realise if this relationship is going to go anywhere is that I’m the most important thing in it.

Hmmm, if you’re prepared to wait an hour for me to stop doing whatever I’m doing that’s more important than you then maybe you actually do have the right attitude. Will you also keep house and give me lots of blowjobs, all for the low low price of NT$30,000 per month?

Personally, I prefer women who value themselves more highly.

If someone calls me to request a rescheduling of our meeting for one or more hours later, that’s fine.

If someone calls repeatedly over the course of one or more hours to say s/he doesn’t know when s/he can be at the appointed meeting place, that’s not fine.

So, which are you talking about being fine with, Erhu?

My two cents:

From what I read it seems that some of you either have ‘super partners’ or are ‘destined to spank the monkey’ for a long long time.

Being 5 minutes late… Well, for some it seems that this is a massive massive problem. Enough to even say “You aren’t my type,” which is very harsh. Erhu made a good point, when you notice how late someone is you are saying, “I’m so valuable, how dare you be late for me?”
Persisent lateness is a problem that can be rectified. Start arriving late yourself.

I arrived to meet a certain forumosan a few weeks ago to prepare some test papers. I even got there 3 hours before work, to accommodate them. They then said they had ‘forgotten’ the meeting, and were hungry in any case. Result: 3 hour eating session, no exam prep.

Is this a liberty? Should I tolerate this? Is this a sign that our friendship will be doomed… (apart from the fact they are gonna sod off to Vietnam in a wee while anyway…)

Toms advice to all the time merchants is to ‘chill,’ take a book with you and wait. In the end I had a super lunch (which I couldn’t pay for) and learned some more about a very interesting chap with mega long hair! But if I had been angry about what had happened maybe things would have turned out very differently.

So…If they do it again, be late yourself to show that it is impolite. If you meet someone and you are 5 minutes late, and they scream at you, call an ambulance, your date is mentally tapped.

I’m always late, but never more than five or ten minutes and I don’t it on purpose. It just kinda happens. :blush:

It’s never ever ever ever my fault I’m late.

It’s always the rain. Starts raining so I have to go home to change shoes.
Or the sun. It’s too hot so I have to go home to change clothes.
Or traffic.
Or can’t find my keys. They shouldn’t run away like that.
Forget where I’m going. The address should be something simple to remember.

Etc.

[quote=“914”]It’s never ever ever ever my fault I’m late.

It’s always the rain. Starts raining so I have to go home to change shoes.
Or the sun. It’s too hot so I have to go home to change clothes.
Or traffic.
Or can’t find my keys. They shouldn’t run away like that.
Forget where I’m going. The address should be something simple to remember.

Etc.[/quote]

Exactly. WHY can’t other people understand that? :loco:

Is your boss quite as “understanding” when you habitually show up for work an hour or two late? I mean, how do you habitual latecomers manage to hold steady jobs?

Yet somehow I suspect that all of you do manage to show up on time to work each and every day.

So this means that you can show up on time if you want to…it’s just some dates and appointments aren’t on your priority list. You wouldn’t show up an hour late to a job interview, would you? But you feel it’s perfectly OK to show up late for a date. In other words, the person you made a date with just isn’t very important - not important enough to show up on time for.

[quote=“Rubicon Bojador”]Is your boss quite as “understanding” when you habitually show up for work an hour or two late? I mean, how do you habitual latecomers manage to hold steady jobs?

Yet somehow I suspect that all of you do manage to show up on time to work each and every day.

So this means that you can show up on time if you want to…it’s just some dates and appointments aren’t on your priority list. You wouldn’t show up an hour late to a job interview, would you? But you feel it’s perfectly OK to show up late for a date. In other words, the person you made a date with just isn’t very important - not important enough to show up on time for.[/quote]

OUCH!

Well, actually I only start work at 1:20pm. I usually go in around 12pm because the office is nice and quiet so I can study Chinese in peace for an hour and a half. That way I can revise, study a little and I’m not late for work. See. Easy when you know how. :laughing:

As to being late for dates. Well, I always underestimate how much time I have to get ready. And the traffic. Hence I’m usually 5 or 10 minutes late. But I always call ahead.

Chronocitis is a very serious disease. Millions of people all over the world are suffering from it.
I find your comments pretty insensitive, even downright offensive.

[quote=“Andre”]Chronocitis is a very serious disease. Millions of people all over the world are suffering from it.
I find your comments pretty insensitive, even downright offensive.[/quote]

I can’t tell if this is a joke or not, but if it’s not, that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

“Chronocitis”? :unamused: Is there a “disease” of the week we can’t make up?

I’m sorry. I suffer from an acute case of Smartassitis. I can’t help myself.