Some Good Western Restaurants in Taitung

Can you pre-book taxis out there?

You can call a taxi or shops will call a taxi as they’re not really roaming the Taitung street much except for the very central central a.rea

Had the beer but haven’t had the food yet. Nice place to sit down. I think my favorite bar is still Texas Joe’s, but it’s nice to have that place as a new option.

By the way, there’s also a new(er) bar across from the Showtime Cineplex, down the street from KFC. Very expensive, but a huge selection of Belgian beers.

Even newer than that is an equally tiny bar across from Blue Dragonfly, and a bar/barbecue restaurant just off Sse Wei Road near this restaurant:

A friend was also telling me about some “invite only” bar between Blue Dragonfly and The Hideout, but I’m not fancy enough to have been there.

1 Like

Wow, so many new spots to try.

I agree nothing wrong with eating western food. You think those british folk dont have curry and tacos in.england?

We eat taiwanese food on the daily. Sometimes its nice to go out for a pizza or burger and have it be better than pizza hut or mcdonalds…taiwanese as well. Whats wrong with writing about other cuisines available in a given region? As a canadian i would hate to be stuck eating deer and birch bark tea all year…thank god for foreign food!

4 Likes

Two other places I’m only slightly curious about. The pictures don’t look great, but I’m willing to try since so few western option in Taitung.

Sams burger
https://goo.gl/maps/9iR8XyZKkhVkU4Xn7

MAHI MAHI TODAY Fish & Chips
https://goo.gl/maps/8oYQpQVb5hEbhoNL8

This was excellent the one time we visited, but I recommend getting it to go. We took ours to go and did a picnic on the beach.

I’ve only been once, but I found Sam’s Burger okay. I wouldn’t go out of my way to visit, but I enjoyed the meal (and milkshake!).

1 Like

I just say that if I go to a city or place for the first time, I would be more curious about local food than going from Taipei to Taitung to eat in a western restaurant

That is a nice smelling suggestion.

You are a much higher quality foreigner than most here. You have achieved a level of cultural integration that they dream of aspire to.

1 Like

That place is quite good. Fried fish mostly but they do it with an amazing sauce and fresh herbs. Very clean! Almost makes me think fish n chips meets vietnamese banmi

1 Like

What is “local”?

Do you consider this excellent rice noodle place “local”?

The folks preparing the food are also newcomers who brought their foods to this place (Puyuma and up the coast Amis territory).

Guy

Fair enough, to each their own. But some people travel to escape and relax, not take in the “local culture”.

There are numerous aboriginal places islandwide if one so chooses. Usually, if you dont want a han hybrid dish, mountain restaraunts serve pretty cool and authentic food. Also usually quite expensive. I wont recomend any as i dont support the constant raping of wildlife populations here, but i think aboriginal food is quite yummy!

1 Like

Sam’s Burger is… ok. It’s a step above McDonald’s and a step below Wow’s.

Mahi Mahi today is terrible. It’s also in a really inconvenient location.

Personally i take mahi mahi over sams burger any day of the week. Sams is pretty dirty everytime we have gone :frowning:

Did you try AU cafe?? Has nice Brekkie and coffee drinks.

1 Like

Yea it is.

2 Likes

Does anyone have an idea when this takes place?

Guy

Wasn’t it a month or two ago?

So I guess you’ll have to wait until the end of the year. Hope that’s slow enough for you. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

They just had an event in taipei.

As far as i know, its twice ayear . The covid thing last year mucked it up so i am confused as well.

Go here and follow…i dont think they really are that far in advanced to set dates. But can message them if interested i guess.

Edit. Weird link wont show. Copy this if doeant work.

Redirecting...