Subway Restaurants in Taiwan

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]BroonAtlasChallenged -

More correctly that would be ‘Baja California.’

[/quote]

I was being slightly jocular, TC. Actually most correctly it would be Baja California Norte as opposed to Baja California Sur.

BroonAtlas

De nada…yo entiende’…Have a lovely evening.

Gracias amigo. Hussong’s Cantina for some birthday beers tonight (15 hours behind here)…First birthday in the Americas.

BroonAnniversary

Happy birthday you old bastard. Have a great year. Try not to drown.

Best wishes, big guy! :beer: :birthday: :beer:

Well??

It’s been six months. How long is “temporary”?

What is it that Subway High Command knows about the world economy (or knew when they dreamt this up) that allows them to forecast a fall in the price of cheese to previous levels? They must be brilliant fucking economists to be able to know in advance what’s going to happen when everyone else is guesstimating that food prices are going to stay high.

Oh, wait. They didn’t really know, did they? They weren’t even really pretending to know. They were just saying that so that they could change the formula. Notice how the signs have now mostly disappeared?

Why didn’t they just put up a sign saying “look, folks, most people in Taiwan don’t really like cheese and it’s the most expensive part of the sandwich, so we’ve decided to reduce the ration permanently” and have done with it? No, they had to make a stupid excuse which insulted the intelligence of their customers in the hope of fobbing them off.

Everything has increased in price, not just cheese. Why didn’t they increase the price of the bread? How about the price of the other ingredients? Has cheese, made from cows, really become eight million percent more expensive without a corresponding increase in the price of cow-meat?

And two slices of cheese for NT$20? The Tuna sandwich is NT$85. Do you really want me to believe that cheese alone accounts for almost a quarter of the total cost of the product? Sorry, guys, but that’s bullshit.

As far as I can tell, Subway has responded to a global increase in basic raw material costs by singling out one ingredient and placing the ‘blame’ there - at a time when everyone else simply raised their price for the entire finished product. I don’t have a problem with prices rising, but I do have a problem with people lying to me.

The formula says two pieces of cheese. Give the customer what every other Subway store in the world gives the customer, and set the price accordingly, like every other business in the world does if it wants to keep customers and stay in business. Or should I just accept my favourite pub watering down the beer, or accept that my new computer has no keyboard because the rising oil price has made plastic too expensive?

Oh, and I’m pretty sure that the original excuse involved reference to development in India (as well as other countries) pushing up prices worldwide. I don’t know how much cheese is consumed in India, but I’m pretty sure that India is not a big importer of any foodstuff and that exports have remained pretty constant.

Instead of giving this phony excuse of increased cheese price they should have come up with following … we at Subway are very concerned with the the healthy eating style our customers pursue and therefor, to help them succeed in their life style have decide to half the portion of cheese on the sub sandwich … now! Subway sandwiches with even less calories, less fat … and less fake cheese … :bow:

Hey, the Subway near my office says they are going back to the regular amount.

The other excuse about “Ethanol” was most definitely an untrue. Nothing has changed with Ethanol output. So they just used that as an excuse for not wanting to absorb higher prices of the supplies they needed for their sandwiches.

For me, this was the last straw. On at least 3 occasions I was told there was no more bread or only one kind left. My response was “make more”. The cost of wasting a few loaves at the end of the night vs. losing customers. One time i was there almost an hour and a half before closing time and they only had a couple loaves of honey bread, what the hell are they thinking? I suppose they’re just not. The other thing that put me off before the cheese scandal was with a promo they had, buy a 6 inch, get the other 6 inch for a reduced price. I wanted to buy a 12 inch and get the 6 inch for the promo price and could not. The list goes on, raw bacon, poor service, etc. I think i get a little grumpy when I’m really hungry though :blush:

[quote=“Loretta”]Well??

It’s been six months. How long is “temporary”?[/quote]

What a coincidence that you ask.
I believe that Subway returns to the original formula of two triangles per 6" tomorrow.
Seriously, tomorrow.
Sept. 15th.
Also the same day that they stop giving out Sub Stamps in Taiwan.

Yes, as of September 15 all Subway Taiwan restaurants are back to full cheese formula.

There wasn’t any market wide promo of this sort. It must have been local to the store you were at. If the offer is restricted to a 6" purchase then it shouldn’t be surprising that a 12" purchase doesn’t count.

Yes it is, the mind boggles as he was willing to pay more for something, yet he wouldn’t get the reduced price item.
Subways imho dreams up the most stupid promotions ever, at times it’s cheaper to get two 6in sandwiches with the same topping than it’s to get 12in, huh?
Now, is there any chance the dressing will go back to being complimentary again? Or are we still expected to pay a premium for what’s part of certain sandwiches, as a southwest steak sandwich isn’t that without the southwest sauce which is extra here… Oh, I forgot, it’s called a steak and cheese sandwich in Taiwan just for that reason… :fume:
I used to be a big fan of subways, but after moving here, I’ve been seriously put off by all the stupidness and yes, I’ve had the “we’re out of that bread” too, but in my case it was in the middle of the day… :loco:
Thanks for nothing

Edit - Ok, so the southwest steak seems to be steak and cheese everywhere now, but it still doesn’t make it right

The regular prices of the 12" sandwiches are already substantially discounted. If they were priced at twice the 6" price then it would be comparable.

um. what is the “standard cheese formula” for a 12in sandwich? i ate tonight (sept 15) at one of jlick’s subways. is 2 triangles of cheese the “regular” amount on a 12-inch sub? just asking as it was the same during the “cheese rationing period” as well

Yes, two triangles is the “regular” amount. EDIT- per 6"
I ate at the Subway in Hsindien and only got one.
I insisted that they were supposed to go back to the regular formula today, but they refused.
Why?
Because they have a different boss, they said.
They did give me an extra stamp to fill out my card, since it was the last day for Sub Stamps.
That was nice of them.

:roflmao: That’s the saddest thing I’ve heard in ages.

Ok, so I didn’t actually insist.
It was more like a gentle inquiry. :blush:

It’s only funny cos I’ve been there.

4 triangles for a 12" sub, 2 for 6" is the standard amount. Please let me know which location of mine and around what time it was (if you still have the receipt there’s a timestamp on it). I’ll make sure the employee involved is reminded of the change. I’m very sorry that we let you down.

This goes back to the whole thing about people here not being able to think for themselves and actually learning stuff… It’ll take six months now before all the staff is up to scratch, as they need to re-memorize the cheese quota… :s