Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat III

[quote=“Balazs”]Hi Everyone!

With most of my best friends in Taiwan frequently reading this thread, I think this is the appropriate place to advise my fellow Forumosans of the latest developments. After long consideration, I have decided to leave Taiwan and return to Europe. This is due to a combination of various factors, some are work-related, some are of a rather personal nature. I am planning to leave in the second half of December.
Hopefully, I will have the chance to see many of you again by then, nonetheless I’d like to say thanks to everyone for helping me have a great time here.

Cheers,

Balazs

PS: Muzha-Man - No, you can’t keep my sleeping bag :slight_smile:[/quote]

What a great pity. I will be truly sorry to see you go.

Your sleeping bag is safely stored in my apartment. I won’t need it in the future as I just bought one today in canada. Good to -5. Very nice, indeed.

You’ll have to make sure to get out for the next few hikes.

With most of my best friends in Taiwan frequently reading this thread, I think this is the appropriate place to advise my fellow Forumosans of the latest developments. After long consideration, I have decided to leave Taiwan and return to Europe. This is due to a combination of various factors, some are work-related, some are of a rather personal nature. I am planning to leave in the second half of December.
Hopefully, I will have the chance to see many of you again by then, nonetheless I’d like to say thanks to everyone for helping me have a great time here.[/quote]
:frowning:

Hopefully, I will have the chance to see many of you again by then, nonetheless I’d like to say thanks to everyone for helping me have a great time here.

Cheers,

Balazs

PS: Muzha-Man - No, you can’t keep my sleeping bag :slight_smile:[/quote]

You bastard. You turn up in Taiwan and turn out to be an extraordinary addition to the foreign community then up and leave. :wink:

At least you’ll stop showing me up. It always seemed that I’d been here a year for every month you have and your ability to navigate around Taiwan and your Mandarin are way better than mine.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your reactions.

And I’ve never thought I was ever gonna consider “You bastard” as a compliment… :slight_smile:

Hope to see you all at the next Happy Hour.

I am sorry to see you go, Balaz. I hope your time in Taiwan gave you a break from “normal” life.

By the way, Belgian Pie is thinking about hosting a thanksgiving dinner. If anyone is interested, check the thread in the Events forum, it would be great to see you guys there.

[quote=“Ironman”]
You bastard. You turn up in Taiwan and turn out to be an extraordinary addition to the foreign community then up and leave. :wink:[/quote]

[quote=“Muzha Man”]What a great pity. I will be truly sorry to see you go.

You’ll have to make sure to get out for the next few hikes.[/quote]
A gray note to match a gray day. Agree on all points. Balazs, it has been a pleasure to meet you here. Hopefully, you’ll drop in online from time to time and let me pester you for being a spunky, know-it-all youngster! Our club events will be less fun without you around. Very best of luck to you. Don’t be a stranger.

BP seemed to be uncertain. In any case, the dinner at the Tavern Premier is in Taipei and it was excellent last year. I’m heading over there near starting time (7pm on Friday). Made my reservation. Welcome any joiners in the non-smoking section! :slight_smile:

You bet I will! :wink:

Damn, Balazs, I only met you once, but was mightily impressed, and was looking forward to having you along on many more hikes in the future.

And now, just when I’ve nearly mastered how to spell your name, you’re upping tent-pegs and hiking off solo away from us. :frowning:

Anyway, good luck with the disexpatriation, and I hope all will go swimmingly for you in the future.

Omni,

Thank you, same here. It’s a pity we didn’t have more chances to meet, I really enjoyed our chats on the Pingxi hike. I might join you guys on one of the next hikes but wouldn’t want to promise anything, you can imagine what level of chaos I’m facing over the next couple of weeks.

(Btw, I’m not really being disexpatriated, hopefully I’ll become an expat somewhere in Europe.)

Balazs,

It was a true pleasure to meet you. You’re a remarkable man, and you’ll do well no matter where you wind up living. Hope you enjoyed your time in Taipei while it lasted.

Scott

Alright hikers, I have some bad news.

The plan to archive all your valuable previous hiking info, pics, directions etc has come a little unstuck.
During discussions a couple of months ago, it was agreed we would lock the previous couple of threads which had information to all the hikes from approx April to October this year. Also, as part of that plan, I proposed an index, which pointed to all the individual hike posts, and the index thread was also locked. It was working pretty well I thought.

The problem is this. Some of you may have noticed that all the indexed hikes from April to Sept now come up with a “topic does not exist” message.
What I or any of the other mods involved with the hiking thread, or any longterm posters didn’t realise is that there is a 60 day limit in place in the events forum, and any threads that remain inactive for 60 days, get deleted automatically. Obviously, any locked threads fall into this category.
Although this ‘feature’ has apparently been in place for some years, unfortunately the documentation of it was not in place, so all the key people using the hiking thread (myself included) had no idea of the trap.

The Administrator’s view is that an auto-prune feature of some duration needs to be in place in this forum, so what that means is that any threads/posts that would like to be archived should no longer be held in the Events forum.
Talking this over with Mucha Man, probably the next best place to keep these archived threads is in ‘Travel’.
What this means is that upcoming hikes will remain in Events, but once they are completed, we will have to move the threads over to travel.
I will also need to move the index over there (as it is a locked thread).

I have conveyed my disappointment in the loss of 6 months of hike info & pics to the Admins, and they are possibly going to look into some thread recovery action.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, as ultimately, I want to help you guys maintain your valuable hiking info as best as I can within the restrictions mentioned above.

Doh!

I didn’t see that coming, although it does make sense to have the Events Forum pruned automatically. I think your plan of moving completed topics to the Travel forum is a good one. Hopefully Chairman Mao can help us get back any lost information.

Thanks for bringing this up, Truant. It’s good that we caught it when we did.

I wouldn’t be offeded to lose pictures of my ugly mug…or chat about Gluwien…but the real information would be useful to keep as a lot of us spend time reseraching and writing things.

I guess most people will have copied photos they wanted.

If the problem is the “auto-prune” function is is possible to change that time limit to maybe a year or so. This would give ample time for re-runs and for those interested to copy the information.

Thanks for pointing it out.

L.

it is currently 60 days, and may be pushed out to 90 days, but IMHO 60 or 90 doesn’t make much difference.
From now on intend on moving completed hikes to travel, so there would be no panic to beat the prune…it’s just something the mods need to remember to do.

hopefully Mucha_Man kept track of each and every one of our posts, including those about the gluhwein, and will publish a book. Oh ya, and I think severe punishment is in order for the moderator. Truant should be required to meet the hikers at the top of the next mountain with champaigne and a 10 course meal.

I would, but private helicopter flights are not allowed in Taiwan. I checked with the CAA.

thats okay, you can hike up. i could also use a trusty sidekick to carry my stuff for me since i am only a ratbrain. I mean, how can i wear a pack?

hike? you mean WALK?

[quote=“Truant”]Talking this over with Muzha Man, probably the next best place to keep these archived threads is in ‘Travel’.
What this means is that upcoming hikes will remain in Events, but once they are completed, we will have to move the threads over to travel.
I will also need to move the index over there (as it is a locked thread).[/quote]

That sounds like an excellent solution to this unfortunate little problem.

I do hope the ingurgitated material can be regurgitated.

I just got a call from Maoman. We should have a better solution in place this evening, will let you all know.