Taiwan - Asia’s LGBT capital

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. And I’m not so sure the average Thai is so open to gay people working with them and such when I was there. The trans were “entertainment” and basically a freak show where people laughed. We had them in between rounds as ring girls and they were dancing on fighters when I fought there. I don’t think they are really embraced at all. It was all a laugh.

I’ve seen plenty of gay/trans seeming men working regular jobs in Thailand, and lesbians seem to be pretty common as well.

Walk around behind the red house after dark. Those aren’t well dressed hetero guys filling the tables. And the friendliest waiters anywhere, to other men.

Maybe. I mostly were there to fight and train so I stayed in mostly small bubbles of areas to focus. But still, it seemed like they were just seen as entertainment and basically a freak show for them to laugh at from my perspective.

I have, but it’s not really that big of a deal. I went there a few times for a drink and never felt like it was that gay.

In the tourist areas, that’s definitely a thing. But as you say those are small bubbles of weirdness in general.

LGBT should somehow fit in?

I like the difference LGBT people add. Ximending is one of the few interesting places in Taipei.

Come one, it’s not like some gay flooded area. I find the claims of ximen being gay a big over the top. Yeah some gay friendly bars. But is that so rare in most cities.

It seems China doesn’t seem to bad for gays in general. I know they got some laws like gay scenes banned or something like that. I was there and there were many gays openly gay at the club trying to hold my hands and dance on me.

There’s the best selection of ales available. And that gets an upvote from me.

It’s gay enough that guys will hit on other guys just walking past or stopping for a drink (like me) anywhere in the area. Evertime I’m in the area without a girl, guys are hitting on me. I avoid it because I don’t want guys hitting on me. Kind of the way girls avoid some bars.

They aren’t hanging around talking about fixing cars.

I might have not worded my point properly or that my interpretation is not the same.

What I am saying is that Thailand feels more well represented and accepted in terms of being homosexual. When I was in Bangkok, I can see plenty of ladyboys and crossdressers, butch gays, petite/slim gays and they are comfortable in expressing themselves. Here, I don’t see that much. More importantly as I have pointed out gays are represented in a more mainstream media like TV and movies and they are hit shows, which is a reflection of acceptance of a big population.

Taiwan IMO still a step back, mainly due to conservative nature of Chinese culture.

Where’s good to go for a night out in Taipei nowadays? Shida is dead.

Next time you go there, bring me with you so I can have a wingman.

Younger gen are of course more progressive but you still have those older gen which usually have the say are not so accepting.

The key here is “expressing themselves”. They are more open about themselves to others and show it than in Taiwan. But it’s still accepted in Taiwan.

Having said that, a young male employee wears lipstick, eyeliner and earrings at the 7/11 nearest to Tainan station (if anyone is interested).

1 Like

Ximen behind red house Saturday night.

Screenshot_20190103-003206_Facebook

Is Taiwan Asia’s Gay Sexpat capital?

Or it doesn’t count because they are Asians looking for sex?

Answers on a postcard please.