Taiwan Cop Arrests Betel Nut Vendor - too rough?

If she was a skinny 80 year old lady, he would have had to have used a lot more force. Have you seen the skinny 80 year old ladies around here? They cart around huge loads of stuff on their backs, or on their dodgy little bicycles, as if they’re Sherpas or water buffalo. The economy is practically built on them. In fact the skinny 80 year old lady seems to be the foundation economic unit of most South East Asian countries.

Agreed. Regardless of the fact that she was behaving like a spoiled 6 year old, he could have safely tucked her under his arm like a box of doughnuts, and just walked down to the police station.

I’m not sure I get it – [quote]betel-nut girl Yen Ju-yu, 19, who allegedly wore revealing attire to solicit patronage[/quote] Is revealing attire against the law? I thought that was the whole point of betel nut girls.

That cop just didn’t understand Taiwan culture.

Or Taiwan culture didn’t understand the cop.

youtube.com/watch?v=hXqhyGWxeRk

She was beat up pretty badly , lots of black and blue spots on knees and shoulders, even below the eyes. Even his police superiors said that their officer used undue force. She just having been on a magazine and being quite cute the public opinion is generally on her side. Taiwans beetlenut culture has been around for some time without this sort of harassment. We know that police are probably paid off in some ways. I have a feeling this officer will be fired.

Hes on leave at the moment according to this report while they decide what to do with him.

He shouldnt have attacked her like that. Shouldnt have touched her, just called for backup and collectively they should have asked her to put a coat on and take a trip down to the fuzz shop. He decided to use his powers to take down a 40kg young girl like she was a gangster with a gun or something.

I would assign him to the toughest police work possible if I was his police chief, plus privately have a chat with him and ask him what the Fuck was he doing? He is messing with some HONG PAO from the beetlenut stalls for one thing.

Undermining Social Values?
That’s what the news said and yet how was she doing that? Short skirt? No shorter than many I have seen walking on the street or on the MRT. See through blouse that allows purchasers to see a black bra? I see pictures of girls wearing just a bra (with no blouse) outside and inside of every underwear store I walk by. Why don’t these shops get busted. Isn’t the law supposed to be universally applied? How about 2 years ago when you could see most girls riding scoots and you could see half way to her anus.
I watchewd vids and it didn’t look to me that the cop had any reason to approach her unless it was to maybe take a closer look and harrass her so he could do so. If he had no legitimate reason to be in the store, then her vulgarity should be covered under freedom of speech and, since no others were around - that I could see, other than her coworker with the cam - thus protected speech and resisting an illegal arrest is a right of democracy. Not a wise thing to do but allowed. If people don’t stand up for their rights, how long can a democracy last?

[quote=“Enigma”]Undermining Social Values?
That’s what the news said and yet how was she doing that? Short skirt? No shorter than many I have seen walking on the street or on the MRT. See through blouse that allows purchasers to see a black bra? I see pictures of girls wearing just a bra (with no blouse) outside and inside of every underwear store I walk by. Why don’t these shops get busted. Isn’t the law supposed to be universally applied? How about 2 years ago when you could see most girls riding scoots and you could see half way to her anus.
I watchewd vids and it didn’t look to me that the cop had any reason to approach her unless it was to maybe take a closer look and harrass her so he could do so. If he had no legitimate reason to be in the store, then her vulgarity should be covered under freedom of speech and, since no others were around - that I could see, other than her coworker with the cam - thus protected speech and resisting an illegal arrest is a right of democracy. Not a wise thing to do but allowed. If people don’t stand up for their rights, how long can a democracy last?[/quote]

wah! you ever thought of becoming a defence attorney? maybe you should advise Zain Dean?

All very valid points, but is there really a right to resist arrest if the arrest is superfluous or must you just get arrested and then argue?

I think she should have a case for a claim against harassment from the police force and loss of earnings, and fine in the same amount for striking a police officer

This is what Tasers are for.

“No binlang - No Peace!”

[quote=“Enigma”]Undermining Social Values?
I watchewd vids and it didn’t look to me that the cop had any reason to approach her unless it was to maybe take a closer look and harrass her so he could do so. If he had no legitimate reason to be in the store, then her vulgarity should be covered under freedom of speech and, since no others were around - that I could see, other than her coworker with the cam - thus protected speech and resisting an illegal arrest is a right of democracy. Not a wise thing to do but allowed. If people don’t stand up for their rights, how long can a democracy last?[/quote]

I agree Enigma. He had no reason to be there. He was harassing her and the little tigress shot her mouth off , which she shouldnt have done. She shouldve respected the cop a bit more. But she said that he regularly came over to harass her specifically, more so then others on the same strip. He had a personal thing against her. Bears a careful examination of his carrying out of his duties.

More and more I am of the opinion he needs to be transferred to some really heavy police work and not be watching over beetlenut girls. The girl was wrong to hit the cop and to use foul language. She could really have gotten her ass killed in a lot of countries doing that. Her mommy really needs to spank her (or a few forumosans would be happy to oblige should the courts so dictate im sure).

Shes 19 and certainly not worldly wise.

Honestly she should also be put in front of a judge and should get some custodial time for hitting an officer and using foul language. MOst of the injuries she got she wouldnt have gotten if she had not resisted arrest, we should add.

If it had been some moto riding male punk, I think it may not have been the case it is today. But her being cute as she is , I think the police dept is going to come up against some strong pressure to punish the cop while the girl is going to get off with little more then a verbal spanking from the public for use of foul language. They are not even saying anything about her resisting arrest!!

This whole case is one of two wrongs certainly did not make a right.

Why does the newspaper keep saying “allegedly”? Right or wrong, it is on video and is a historical fact. :unamused:

Oops si doo, the Interior MInister is not on the side of the copper. His ass is pretty much going to be grass soon.

P.s. I should add that Taiwan really functions as one large city/state. Can you imagine such a relatively small incident being discussed by the upper levels of the US govt because the equivalent is what is happening in Taiwan.

The Minister of the Interior is having to discuss with legislators the punishment the cop should receive in the LEgislative assembly. Thats some pretty high up discussions I would say for a relatively minor issue.

I guess what should normally happen is that the officer and the girl sue each other and both of them end up in court (small claims) and the judges decide relative punishment based upon whatever laws were violated.

The guy should be transferred to some less glamourous jobs while she should get a week or two behind bars for disrespecting an officer of the law like that and resisting arrest.

Maybe transfer him to beach patrol where he can harrass girls wearing skimpy bikinis. Actually, I believe he should be fired. Also, I see in the news that a new law will soon be in place to punish public officials who abuse their power or don’t properly perform their duties, even though their is no actual violation of law. The part I don’t agree with is the ex post facto provision that will allow punishment for a yet unknown time before enactment of the new law. My guess is that the officer in this story may well fall under the new law and be punished. His actions, if not actually improper, certainly brought discredit to the department as a whole and gives a very negative view of Tawian law enforcement on the world stage.

Does the officer deserve to be fired for this? Personally I think not. We are all humans we over react sometimes. She was being completely disrepectful. She was disrespecting him both as an officer and as a person by using foul language and pushing him and even slapping him . It should be noted that she slapped him only AFTER she fell down when he pushed her out of the shop. I dont think he set out to injure her, she kept resisting and he kept trying to restrain her and it all ended up just real bad. But I dont think he had that original intent.

Quite honestly she at least deserved some of what she got and in many countries she would be considered to have gotten off REAL lightly (the USA being one major one). Her injuries all came from her resisting arrest !

But yes public opinion and the unwanted attention this case has brought upon the Police Dept in general will weigh heavily against the officer. Her being more then just run of the mill cute (far as beetlenut girls go) does not help his case in Taiwan.

I would not fire him just over this but I would review his performance as an officer over the last few years of his career and if he has been found wanting and this was the straw that broke the camels back, then I would fire him. But apparently he has been a well regarded officer. He should not be fired over this incident. But transferred to much harder police work (like border patrol of the coastline and chasing smugglers at the ports late at nite). He will have to “work” at redeeming himself for causing undue attention for the Police Dept in my book.

If I was him, I would have several officers accompany me and I would bring a huge bouquet of roses to the young lady and personally apologize to her for undue force. And quietly suggest that "because she has a lot going for her " that she should respect herself more and perhaps look for a better job or at least dress in a more demure manner (one does not have to let all of ones wares be on display to exude glamour and class). This way face is saved all around. This will help greatly for the Police Dept to retain him without further public controversy.

A big part of being an officer is knowing how to manage and de-escalate volatile situations. That video sure doesn’t show him doing anything in that regard. He should have backed off and called in some back up from the get go.

What, and get laughed at by his buddies for losing face? A LIKELY story! :laughing:
Anyway, if what this girl says is true, it now seems it wasn’t a matter of policing at all. It was simply a case of bad blood between them and the cop doing a bit of bullying.
He wasn’t some kind of special officer – his job was to ride up and down that street how many times per shift? Fill in his little time sheets and pick up his hongbaos from the ladies. You KNOW that all the people involved know each other.

youtube.com/watch?v=OyGoEl_o … re=related

These TV commentators are blasting the cop. They said that she was not dressed any worse then other beetlenut girls but in fact was dressed more modestly. She was in fact more modestly dressed then “normal girls at kenting”. They blasted the cop for unreasonably entering her shop and hanging around there for no apparent reason and bullying her. Causing her to lose her composure and she started to shout obscenities at him. He then prevented her from doing business so she said “ok, Im going to shut the doors” At which point he pushed her out of the store very forcefully and that those tiles wouldve hurt her knees when she landed on them with such force. They then lambasted him for using methods reserved for serious criminals in restraining her. And blasted the other two cops who arrived later for not intervening in a proper fashion and one of them even had his hand on his gun . For what reason they surmised? She was not a dangerous criminal. She didnt deserve such treatment and he had no valid reason to be inside her store for such a long time on such a flimsy excuse.

I think public opinion is going to hang this guy out to dry. If he wants to keep his job he had better start some serious PR . LIke what I suggested. Bring a huge bouquet of roses . NOt alone lest there be further question of his motives. But instead accompanied by other (preferably female) officers. Otherwise with this sort of public attention the police dept will have to let him go even if they dont really want to privately.

It is a stupid crime. In the US it would definitely be struck down as unlawful, due to being too vague and ambiguous, so people would have no idea what constitutes a violation of the law.

Does spitting binglang on the sidewalk undermine social values?
How about walking about in boxers and a wifebeater t-shirt?
How about having a big, fat, disgusting belly?
How about adults carrying hello kitty handbags?
How about those cutesy ladies on yoyo tv?
How about Jackie Chan?
How about picking ones nose in public?
How about cutting in line at 7/11?
How about . . .

Well you get the idea. Undermining social values???

There have probably always been cops like this, but now more video cameras means more accountability, which is a good thing.

I have to agree with Sandman that they probably all know each other. You also have to remember this is the Zhonghe police dept and they are next to fucking uselss for even easy tasks like directing traffic. When they had to bust some gangsters at a temple in Zhonghe a few years back they used the Datong district’s police officers.

Probably some guy thinking with his dick and not realizing that those places are recording.

That street has about 15 stands and all sellers dress like her, if not more provocatively. Hardly an argument there. :laughing:

independent of the discussion of who was right and who was wrong, and ignoring the fact that this is only on TV because the girl was pleasing to look at – am I incorrect to be wondering it the only thing the police probably think the guy did wrong is get caught on camera?