Taiwan ladies do not approach?

[quote=“RickRooney”][quote=“triceratopses”] we don’t play this back and forth courting game bs like little teenage girls.

[/quote]

seems you do as you expect girls to hold your hand and chat you up after they have already broken the ice with you.[/quote]

Seriously man, what do you want her to say after she tells you that she thinks you are handsome? That is the 1st move and she obviously thought you were attractive enough to say so which takes quite a bit of courage because she is putting herself out there for embarrassment if you don’t feel the same way about her. Contrary to what you think she did approach, not approaching you would be saying nothing at all. It’s great that women in California and Europe fall all over themselves to talk to you but last I checked this is Asia and women don’t act like that here because of the whole saving face thing, sure there are rare occasions (and usually alcohol is involved) but if she strikes up the conversation with you are expected to make the next move. Get off your high horse and say something back.

[quote=“just_chris”][quote=“RickRooney”][quote=“triceratopses”] we don’t play this back and forth courting game bs like little teenage girls.

[/quote]

seems you do as you expect girls to hold your hand and chat you up after they have already broken the ice with you.[/quote]

Contrary to what you think she did approach, not approaching you would be saying nothing at all. Last I checked this is Asia and women don’t act like that here because of the whole saving face thing, sure there are rare occasions (and usually alcohol is involved) but if she strikes up the conversation with you are expected to make the next move. Get off your high horse and say something back.[/quote]

Well that’s the question, if that is their limit typically. An approach is actively trying to get their info to spend time together. They gawk, they say something, they show interest with their body, but then they stop. To me that means they’re not approaching because they’re not getting the info they need to spend time together even if they really want to. You say it has something to do with saving face, that’s good, that’s some explanation for their behavior.

The story is completely different with males approaching taiwan girls. But I’m strictly sticking to female approaching males.

I don’t think it takes any courage. “Putting herself out there” is schoolgirl behavior, I can’t recall the last time it happened to me outside of Taiwan. She could have said anything afterward, I was smiling right at her, and it wasn’t the first time we saw each other though it was the first time we spoke.

something else to keep in mind is that women are given the message, early and often, that the male is the pursuer, the woman the pursued. Rom-coms, TV shows, novels, etc, usually portray a love story this way.
We also get the advice in real life that if WE pursue, the guy will not value us as much later on. Taiwan being more traditional might mean that these messages are even more engrained here.

yea its the male role… quite obviously.

if you like people to be forward with you and take the lead then dating other men would probably fill your needs. they have no hang ups with being forward at all…

[quote=“RickRooney”]yea its the male role… quite obviously.

if you like people to be forward with you and take the lead then dating other men would probably fill your needs. they have no hang ups with being forward at all…[/quote]

:bravo:

I think we have gotten to the issue. The OP wants to be treated like a woman.

[quote=“triceratopses”][quote=“just_chris”][quote=“RickRooney”][quote=“triceratopses”] we don’t play this back and forth courting game bs like little teenage girls.

[/quote]

Contrary to what you think she did approach, not approaching you would be saying nothing at all. Last I checked this is Asia and women don’t act like that here because of the whole saving face thing, sure there are rare occasions (and usually alcohol is involved) but if she strikes up the conversation with you are expected to make the next move. Get off your high horse and say something back.[/quote]

Well that’s the question, if that is their limit typically. An approach is actively trying to get their info to spend time together. They gawk, they say something, they show interest with their body, but then they stop. To me that means they’re not approaching because they’re not getting the info they need to spend time together even if they really want to. You say it has something to do with saving face, that’s good, that’s some explanation for their behavior.

The story is completely different with males approaching taiwan girls. But I’m strictly sticking to female approaching males.

I don’t think it takes any courage. “Putting herself out there” is schoolgirl behavior, I can’t recall the last time it happened to me outside of Taiwan. She could have said anything afterward, I was smiling right at her, and it wasn’t the first time we saw each other though it was the first time we spoke.[/quote]

Schoolgirl or not this is how it is in Taiwan, if you are expecting a woman to make the 1st move (which she did when she told you that you were handsome) and then expect her to make another move you aren’t going to have much luck. I’m not sure what brought you to Taiwan but it seems you have a lot to learn about the people and the culture. That’s not a bad thing but you have to forget everything you’ve learned about the West as it doesn’t generally apply here. If you’ve never had to work for it outside Asia you will here. Either get used to it or be with American/Canadian women. If you go to Japan or Korea you are much more likely to find similar things. Now I’ve never been to the Mainland but I’ve been told that the women are not quite as shy as they are here and will talk to you but from what I’ve heard at some point very early in the conversation you are going to be bluntly asked how much you make and how much you have in the bank especially in Shanghai. Now I have had a few people tell me they’ve mopped up in China but it doesn’t seem like that is what you are looking for.

Good info but I don’t need to forget anything or stop expecting anything, nor am I complaining such that I need to get used to it.

I think the whole society is more introverted but noone’s approached the question from this angle.

Good info but I don’t need to forget anything or stop expecting anything, nor am I complaining such that I need to get used to it.

I think the whole society is more introverted but noone’s approached the question from this angle.[/quote]

No…bitches just not be so upfront about being slutty though.

Everyone here says…you are being approached. But you. just. dont. get. it. No girl is gonna come up and just get down on all fours and spread it for you in public. Nor is she gonna invite you to her room. She’s gonna show interest (as they have done)…and thats the test! They want to see if you are a real man with the balls to then make the next move.

They made the first move.

Now its your turn.

But no, you want them to make the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th moves.

You’re failing the “do you have balls” test.

[quote=“Confuzius”]They made the first move.

Now its your turn.[/quote]

Perhaps you don’t have experience with girls actually approaching. Did you read the thread? I gave an example. They see you, walk up to you, and quickly steer the conversation to what you are doing later and where you live.

In any case basic reading comprehension indicates this is not an advice thread.

Taiwan girls in my experience prefer to gawk, say sexy or wow as they walk past, instead of actually walk up. In cases where they’re forced to actually be talking to me, they do things like I said in my example. If you think that’s comparable behavior to my experience with non-taiwanese you’re on fucking crack. I’m giving only the mildest examples too, there is way more severe stuff that taiwan girls re willing to do instead of actually approach.

[quote=“triceratopses”][quote=“Confuzius”]They made the first move.

Perhaps you don’t have experience with girls actually approaching. Did you read the thread? I gave an example. They see you, walk up to you, and quickly steer the conversation to what you are doing later and where you live.

Taiwan girls in my experience prefer to gawk, say sexy or wow as they walk past, instead of actually walk up. In cases where they’re forced to actually be talking to me, they do things like I said in my example. If you think that’s comparable behavior to my experience with non-taiwanese you’re on fucking crack. I’m giving only the mildest examples too, there is way more severe stuff that taiwan girls re willing to do instead of actually approach.[/quote]

You’re also falling under the impression that these girls know or have the English capability to actually have a conversation with you. You have to consider that when they are going to “English School” they’re not learning how to talk to an American so you can date him. They’re learning rinse lather and repeat what day is today, how old are you, where do you live, what is your favorite color type stuff and the chances of them having had an actual conversation with a foreigner outside of that school is pretty slim, sure they’ve all had interactions with us but not an actual conversation.

I found the women in Japan to be much more approachable but in most cases their English was not as good so it’s a real roll of the dice. I guess I’ve never been lucky enough to have had women approach and then gawk at me and then continue to talk to me without me saying anything so I can’t relate (unless you want to count the grenades I’ve jumped on back home to help a buddy out and who wants to talk about that? Not me) But what I do know is that as far as what you’re looking for or wanting to see in Taiwan I wouldn’t hold my breathe waiting for it. Could it happen? Sure but will it? Not likely… it’s just the culture and the fact that most of these girls act years younger than they actually are.

Asking a simple question really truly does not imply falling under any kind of impression or forming any kind of expectation.

Language barrier is certainly a valid point though, it must impede the limits of what they can do. That would make some sense why western girls approach so much more easily in taiwan and why taiwan girls are so… brief.

zzzzzzz advice. I approach 99% of the time, this is not an advice thread, this is a comparison of behavior thread, as the words suggest.

It’s almost as if many Taiwanese people were somewhat shier and more reticent in social situations than the average Westerner.

[quote=“triceratopses”]
zzzzzzz advice. I approach 99% of the time, this is not an advice thread, this is a comparison of behaviour thread, as the words suggest.[/quote]

girls approaching in the west isn’t even the norm…so why would the non norm become the norm here?

as girls approaching in the west isn’t even the norm…so why would the non norm become the norm here? [/quote]

You should learn it from me that it’s the norm in many places. If you look good enough girls will automatically react the question is will they approach, many places they will. Approach not meaning schoolgirl chatter or cat-calls but actively trying to get your contact.

It does happen, not often. But then again who is going to be seriously interested in a woman that randomly approaches strangers? I don’t think it’s very attractive. :2cents:

Wasn’t there some newish poster on here a while ago who was subtly trying to sound out the opportunities for gigolo work in Taipei? Maybe he would like to chime in with a relevant update on his field research. Or maybe he already has?

[quote=“just_chris”][quote=“triceratopses”][quote=“Confuzius”]They made the first move.

Taiwan girls in my experience prefer to gawk, say sexy or wow as they walk past, instead of actually walk up. In cases where they’re forced to actually be talking to me, they do things like I said in my example. If you think that’s comparable behavior to my experience with non-taiwanese you’re on fucking crack. I’m giving only the mildest examples too, there is way more severe stuff that taiwan girls re willing to do instead of actually approach.[/quote]

You’re also falling under the impression that these girls know or have the English capability to actually have a conversation with you. You have to consider that when they are going to “English School” they’re not learning how to talk to an American so you can date him. They’re learning rinse lather and repeat what day is today, how old are you, where do you live, what is your favorite color type stuff and the chances of them having had an actual conversation with a foreigner outside of that school is pretty slim, sure they’ve all had interactions with us but not an actual conversation.

I found the women in Japan to be much more approachable but in most cases their English was not as good so it’s a real roll of the dice. I guess I’ve never been lucky enough to have had women approach and then gawk at me and then continue to talk to me without me saying anything so I can’t relate (unless you want to count the grenades I’ve jumped on back home to help a buddy out and who wants to talk about that? Not me) But what I do know is that as far as what you’re looking for or wanting to see in Taiwan I wouldn’t hold my breathe waiting for it. Could it happen? Sure but will it? Not likely… it’s just the culture and the fact that most of these girls act years younger than they actually are.[/quote]

My ONE PENNY:

Yup most of the 20 somethings range from quite shy to even more shy and will not usually make the first move. They signal their interest by looking at you, or talking about you with their friends (gaining acceptance from their friends for their interest). In my humble experience, it has been usually the older ones (35 plus) that are more forward and more likely to make an approach and carry the conversation. Especially the divorced ones who are looking for some action. And can see the opportunity.

In all my years in Taiwan, I don’t remember even one time a 20 something girl approached me. They have signaled their interest by looking and watching me, but didn’t approach. Oh i take it back, ONE TIME a 20 something girl made the approach. But that was because she had seen me and talked to me before at a bus stop when we were the only two people there and it started raining and she offered to share her umbrella as there was simply no cover available at that stop. When she saw me at a pool months later she remembered me and came over to say “hi” . I had forgotten her.

Most of the Taiwanese girls will not make the first, overt move. They expect you to make the approach, then if they like you they will happily answer your questions and engage you in further conversation. It’s sometimes as if a wall has come down and they have been looking at you for an hour and finally are happy to chat with you because now they CAN. IF they are not able to carry a conversation in english and you don’t speak mandarin or taiwanese you are most likely out of luck at this point. But for those who can communicate, once you have made your approach the girl has the social carte blanche to continue the conversation and to even offer you her fone number and ask for yours and take it to the next level.

But not looking at you or showing no interest in you does NOT mean they are NOT available too. Once you make an approach they will size you up and decide if they are interested or not.

Taiwanese girls need a reason to talk to you. They are not usually going to , in a social setting that is of a temporal nature, say standing at a bus stop with you , or being in the same MRT car or bus, going to approach you. They may not approach you at clubs either, but may be open to YOUR approach.

I don’t have a lot of experience with girls other than Asian girls so I can’t speak about much of the world’s women. Maybe American girls approach men at clubs much more easily, i don’t know.

But Taiwanese women, you should be “the man” and crack the ice. If they like you, they will show their interest. If they snub you, PASS. One time a young lady who i sat next to on the MRT gave me the iciest response possible when I asked her if the flowers she was carrying were from someone or for someone. So that shut me up quick as her reply was so icy even on that summer day. We rode the next five or so stops in silence. My instant stoppage of further conversation may have taken her slightly by surprise (she may have been prepared to fend off further advances from me) that she actually felt awkward , I suppose , and actually said “tsai chien” to me on her way out at WanFang hospital. She did have the prettiest legs though and the shortest of shorts on (typical TW girl wear in summer) that this old dog simply had to look :slight_smile:

Yeah she may have had her hands full with someone she knew being in the hospital. But she was showing her DIS-interest in me , that was for sure.

You don’t even have to be very overt with your intentions. You can ask for assistance or make innocent comments. Say if you saw a girl you liked sitting close to you at a cafe (it is awkward to move across a whole room of people to come ask ONE girl a dumb question) it would be ok to ask her for some advice. Say something like , "oh excuse me , what is that you ordered? " , “do you know if there is a laundromat around here, i just moved here” . Etc etc.

I sat next to this lady (30s) on the train when I was last in Taiwan in 2012 from Taoyuan to Taipei and I actually was asking a genuine question like “is Panchiao station on the TRA connected at the same station as the HSR”. This gal didn’t know but called up her bud who told her “YES”. And then she showed some interest in me and actively engage me in conversation. I was leaving to go back to America in a few days and was involved already so I didn’t take it further. But i got the impression she was interested in being friends and/or more later. Some people end up marrying people they rode a train with, ya know? Friend of mine did that.

Anyhow, before i get long winded . You will not be as successful with the girls on the rock, if you wait for them to approach you. Much better odds if you approach them.

AS someone said previously , don’t be a woman.

edit: There are differences in behavior between western women and TW women I am sure.

One case:

Sitting at a Starbucks here in the bay area. A white woman, around my age was sitting on one of those leather chairs that Starbucks often have. Fairly close to me but not close enough that conversation with me was mandated.

She struck up a conversation with me on her own. Which she actively engaged in. WE yakked on and on for about an hour then she got a call and was leaving. So since I thought we had a nice conversation, I offered my telephone number so we can reconnect. She was not interested in that.

This was different then what would have happened at a Taipei Starbucks in the same situ, I believe.

A Taiwanese woman who did that (started and engaged me actively in conversation for an hour) would certainly have asked for or at least received my telephone number to reconnect. I feel at least fairly sure about that.

But the American woman just wanted someone to while the time away till she had to do something else. I was just a filler for her for her hour at Starbucks.

Most Taiwanese women would not have engaged in conversation with some stranger at a Starbucks unless they were interested in more then just filling up the time/space continuum.

When there’s intense intelligence and fun in their eyes it’s the sexiest thing in the world for a lady to walk up to you. Very different to when a woman looking for her 35th cock for the month approaches… most of of time.

When there’s intense intelligence and fun in their eyes it’s the sexiest thing in the world for a lady to walk up to you. Very different to when a woman looking for her 35th cock for the month approaches… most of of time.[/quote]

LOL. I can certainly feel the flattery just like you, if such a situ arises. But a femme fatale she most likely is or will be , this woman you describe !

femme fa·tale
ˌfem fəˈtal,fəˈtäl/
noun
an attractive and seductive woman, especially one who will ultimately bring disaster to a man who becomes involved with her.
synonyms: seductress, temptress, siren, enchantress; More

girls approaching in the west isn’t even the norm…so why would the non norm become the norm here? [/quote]

you should learn it from me that it’s the norm in many places. If you look good enough girls will automatically react the question is will they approach, many places they will. Approach not meaning schoolgirl chatter or cat-calls but actively trying to get your contact.[/quote]

many a good natured poster has gone out of their way to give you some earnest advice.

we have already got to the bottom of the fact that it is not normal anywhere in the world for a female to be approaching a man. sure it happens, hey i got my first gf that way so i know how it goes. but no, it is not the normal dynamic. the other way around is normal- so you don’t actually have anything special to point out or complain about… even in the west, let alone here. move along people.