Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

You don’t have to buy it, you just get to spend and get a good deal if you like. I will give you ten nt for yours. :grin:

Given that almost all foreign residents are economically active and would go out and do stuff such as visit amusement parks, this policy is remarkably bone headed and discriminatory.
Give it to spouses only…What kind of logic is that.

I was surprised that any foreigners got it but they still discriminate against migrant workers and others who work really hard here. :confused:

5 Likes

I’d like to help you out, but I’d rather stay home and stimulate myself. :grin:

2 Likes

My offer still stands, pre stimulation only though.

1 Like

My stimulus is free, and even comes with a special prize at the end.

The concept is for you to get out there and stimulate others physically

Actually, this is worse than simply forgetting about foreign residents. They set up a system to include a portion of the people.

If I had to guess, they didn’t want to give it to migrant workers but knew that such a policy would be seen as racist or they wanted to be sure to include Chinese spouses but figured that policy would be seen as racist plus pro-China.

4 Likes

Being the Spouse of a Taiwanese Citizen, it looks like I will be in the money for a change. :grinning:

From what I saw, it also seems that it can be added to ones YoYo Card, and that’s what I will do.

1 Like

Time to start emailing again! If the U-Bike BS could be overcome, surely this BS can be too!!

4 Likes

I like this.

Who can we contact?

Guy

1 Like

What I find really bizarre is that my wife’s a Hong Kong citizen, with a British passport. She quite freely took Taiwanese citizenship a few years back, without having to relinquish anything. The absurdity that I can’t do the same, riles.
Anyway, it seems I’m eligible for the food stamps by virtue of being married to a person with two nationalities and three passports, whereas I otherwise wouldn’t be, despite living here for twenty years and paying taxes.
It seriously pisses on my battery.

12 Likes

It’ll be on the news fast enough…

Loads of people buying stuff at Costco. Taking it back for a cash refund.

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work. I mean I can easily think of many things to use 3,000 nt on at Costco. A couple of the better bottles of scotch, for example.

1 Like

I can stock up on more toilet paper

4 Likes

You’d be surprised at what people would stoop to to make a tiny bit of extra money. Witness the queues around the block when a place is offering an NT$10 discount on coffee or ice cream.

9 Likes

For me, this will be a good excuse to be a little more extravagant than normal. With my US stimulus check so far, a nice dinner in which we ordered way too much, a bottle of Ardbeg 10, and a bottle of Nomad whisky. And BTW, is there anything to gain with the Costco scam idea? I’m not seeing it. Maybe I’m too innocent!

The program is rolling out in July so I guess we will find out if we are included then. I see a lot of conflicting news articles currently.

If we are excluded let’s all email in letting them know our displeasure.

3 Likes

Maybe I am stupid. This doesn’t seem like a lot. Its like getting one time $2,000 NTD. Why don’t they just put $2,000 NTD in your bank account?

Why bother even put in $1,000 NTD to begin with? Seems to be one extra step. I am a computer science guy and this seems redundant and need to be refactored

4 Likes

Then you can just keep it. The point is to get the voucher people already spent money on to spend more. They want people to spend to stimulate the economy.

3 Likes

I get it but just seems like the government doesn’t think people will spend $2,000NTD on their own. I guess government doesn’t trust the people willingly spend the $2,000 NTD. Its only $2,000 NTD. Why make it so complicated.

3 Likes

It’s a stimulus move. You have to spend the money at local businesses, not keep it for your rent, electricity bill, or heroin habit.

3 Likes