Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

or…get a Costco branded credit card.

Not easy when you have no consistent income or are foreigner.

I got a Costco credit card no problem. White, American woman. No guarantor. They just wanted me to prove I had a certain amount of money in the bank by going to the ATM and printing off an account balance receipt. I don’t think that particular account had more than 60k in it at the time. They even drove to my place later in the day so I could fill out the US gov required forms that they didn’t have when I applied.
But foreigners are unlikely to be getting the vouchers in the first place, so it hardly matters.

I guess I can try. The guy told me as long as I have more than 20k in the account I will get it. But I also had a credit card default in about 2015… so I don’t know if I’m shut out. I read somewhere that in Taiwan they are wiped from your record after 7 years.

That’s the rule in the US. I have no idea what the TW rule is

I looked it up, it is 7 years.

Lot’s of legal graffiti walls for that.

No, they’re just translating whatever is in the Chinese media.

If we are, there will be a micro article about it.

It’s official: no NT$1000 down.

Guy

3 Likes

Err, doesn’t that mean they’ll need to change the silly “quintuple stimulus” name? :thinking:

2 Likes

As an alternative, I propose “quintuple thousand stimulus”! :grin:

Guy

3 Likes

It’s interesting as well that if they stick to NT$5000 of vouchers, as suggested by the article, that would increase the nominal cost of the scheme by 25%, whereas including foreign residents, which would increase the cost by ca. 2-3%, is completely unthinkable.

2 Likes

They were going to do some complex direct deposit of the initial NT$1000 to low income / disadvantaged folks along with taxi drivers, small merchants and food vendors, furloughed workers, and the unemployed—an estimated 10 million people! I suppose they figured that determining who all these people were and administering the deposit would have made this process either too slow to too expensive to bother. Or so it seems.

Guy

3 Likes

Why not just give everyone 15k like KMT suggested?

Because the government here is cheap. :neutral_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Yea Taiwan has lots of money but the government acts like they have to work with the budget of Nigeria… I wonder if it’s because of the really low tax revenue?

It’s not low tax revenue.

Due to import/export duties, VAT and income taxes, Taiwan has a tax rate similar to any country it’s around 15-17%.

Back on topic.

If you are foreigners. Feel sorry for you. You pay the highest rates of tax since you have limited deductions available and you get stiffed on public works programs like this.

Ultimately it’s Taiwan that suffers.

4 Likes

44 posts were split to a new topic: Do Foreigners Pay Higher Effective Tax Rates than Taiwanese?

KMT is, or was the richest political party in the world… or something.

But they act like they’re so poor.

2 Likes

Sure make it an even million! The taxpayers won’t mind…