Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

And indeed they get Suckers.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Dear god please no. :rofl:

Guy

I think it’s fair to say it’s a mixed bag—but then again hasn’t Taiwan always been a mixed bag?

On the plus side: national governance and health management has pretty much exceeded anything I could have expected. Look at the numbers, it’s been quite extraordinary.

On the minus side: labour market segmentation and discrimination against brown people from SE Asia has jumped into the limelight. But that’s been there for years too.

Guy

1 Like

I expected better from a country under very serious and real existential threat that depends on foreign support for its very existence.
But apart from that I wasted a lot of my own time. Anyway things become crystal clear. Risk reward highly unbalanced . For me I want to live in a country that welcomes immigrants and treats people more fairly. That’s it. Add in China and what’s the point.

2 Likes

Pretty much every country is. Upsides and downsides.

Foreign support doesn’t mean more foreigners.

Foreign support doesnt equal foreigners or immigration.

For an Asian country, Taiwan is one of the best there is. But more needs to be done in the settling and citizenship department. That will take time.

I applaud your position. But the “fairness” thing has not been a thing in Taiwan since, well, when?

The key as I see it is to keep pushing for change. The situation can change here if people get organized and push for it. That’s been crystal clear since I got here in the early 2000s.

But no, I don’t count myself among the folks with shattered dreams and impressions of a pure lovely fair Taiwan. That’s not been the story here, ever.

Guy

1 Like

Yeah. It’s only ever improved as time goes on.

I didn’t have any special dreams. But I (we) have no good reasons to stay when I weigh up a lot of the factors recently . I guess it’s no skin off anybody’s nose except mine for wasting a few productive years. And the risk reward index is changing very rapidly if one is paying attention.

2 Likes

Foreigners need to realize they are tolerated not accepted.

2 Likes

Locals need to realise that they are competing with other countries for additional talent.

4 Likes

No talent needed, guanxi will do, and paipai.

3 Likes

I’ll be the first to admit I’ve accomplished more through guanxi, and I’m a talented guy. :slight_smile:

Sometimes luck is what’s most important.

A post was merged into an existing topic: From traffic

the vouchers will have a total value of NT$5,000 (US$178.89) and be issued to Taiwan citizens and holders of Alien Permanent Resident Certificates (APRCs) without an upfront payment, in either paper or digital format

In addition to the sports, culture, agriculture and Hakka village travel vouchers issued last year, this year’s program will include vouchers for food & restaurants, domestic travel, “regional revitalization” and Indigenous-run businesses, the agency said.

Registration for the themed vouchers – a total of 13 million of which will be issued in various denominations – will be offered on a single platform (5000.gov.tw), as opposed to the multiple registration websites that were used last year

1 Like

Presumably these vouchers are per household rather than per person?

No, per person. Same as last time.

1 Like

As far as we’ve seen, anyone know if spouses of Taiwanese citizens are going to be eligible as they were last time?

Spouses weren’t eligible for travel coupons last time .

Ohhhhh…was there a minimum age last time?