Taiwan to lift ractopamine restrictions

Burrito- Carnitas here in Kaoshuing tonight from one the local Mexican places with the Taiwan pork logo. Was good, not the best I had but still good.

2 Likes

I have seen this not only in the market but a a ShabuShabu place they used have US Beef but was off the menu this week.

I don’t know if this is the right thread, but is anyone aware of a law or regulation banning the use of foreign pork and beef in schools? I just got a note from the school that they will stop serving pizza, some other baked goods, German sausage, and bacon (among some other things) because the school has not been able to source local suppliers for these goods.

It may be strongly requested.

Article 23-3 of School Health Act

and

central kitchen or external lunch box procurement contract template
學校外訂盒(桶)餐採購契約(參考範本)

教育部此次透過契約範本修訂,落實學校一律採用國內在地豬肉、牛肉政策。

Thanks. The school called them “directives” and “requirements”, which seems accurate based on what you’ve shown me.

I think it’s a bit insane, but, oh well.

1 Like

It’s happening!!!

2 Likes

It’s a good idea for Taiwanese to eat less pork in general. It shouldn’t be the most popular protein.

There’s a reason Taiwanese are the most fat and obese 8n East Asia.

It’s not the fact that sugary desserts are everywhere?

2 Likes

I went to American run restaurant here, the beef they use is from New Zealand.

1 Like

I’m experiencing a mind meld with President Tsai.

If you google her, for six years now, each time she meets with US officials, she’s like

free trade agreement? free trade agreement? free trade agreement? free trade agreement? free trade agreement? free trade agreement? free trade agreement? free trade agreement?

Tsai also told the delegation that Taiwan looks forward to resuming trade talks with the United States as soon as possible. Taipei has long sought a free trade deal with Washington.
Taiwan tells Biden emissaries island will counter China’s manoeuvres with U.S. | Reuters

So what’s your analysis of why the US will not reciprocate?

Guy

Can we stop with this “aggravating Beijing” nonsense? Who cares?!!!

That Taiwanese-American, Katherine Tai, is more demanding than Blinken/Biden.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken told a House committee on Monday about the plans for trade talks. “We are engaged in conversations with Taiwan, or soon will be—on some kind of framework agreement,” Mr. Blinken said in response to a question from Rep. Andy Barr (R., Ky.) during the virtual hearing.

Mr. Blinken declined to elaborate and referred questions about details to Katherine Tai, the U.S. trade representative, who wasn’t at the hearing. A spokesman for Ms. Tai’s office said that strengthening relations with Taiwan is important, though “we have no meetings to announce at this time.”

Beijing once said that they would invade if US military aircraft ever touched down in Taiwan.

ezgif-2-b649fc1bb1ee

1 Like

Racto-cow in the news in Taiwan.

American imports clean pork (from Canada in this case to Hawaii-California Asian super), Taiwan does not not need raco meat the America exports, so check if you can what you buy for your long term health.

It appears that some outfits in the US also export non-ractopamine pork.

https://www.reuters.com/article/tyson-foods-hogs-china-idUSL2N27201P

https://www.smithfieldfoods.com/press-room/company-news/smithfield-well-positioned-to-meet-rising-demand-for-ractopamine-free-pork

(Edited to add: I read that Smithfield is owned by a Chinese company.)

Which leads to this question:

China Can Import Ractopamine-Free U.S. Pork, Why Can't Taiwan? - 長風基金會

1 Like

Free trade talks are back on the table.

Free trade talks happened.