Taiwan Warns That China Could Mount Successful Invasion by 2020

There will never be a war between China and USA. The oligarchs running both countries will not want it. War is bad for business. The sad truth is that America is only paying lip service to protecting the ROC. If it really came down to it, they won’t do anything. America is already stretched thin, and its people are war weary.

Nobody knows what will happen, but as it stands the US has a commitment to defend Taiwan.

Foreign nationals who had lawful residence or right of abode before handover retained their status. Only British citizens without right of abode who resided in HK by virtue of being British citizens were suddenly in need of finding a residence purpose. All that changed was that British citizens lost their privileges over other foreigners.

I don’t see why the PRC would want to change Taiwan’s immigration laws or even permit a mass influx of Mainlanders. The PRC benefits a lot from the creativity of developed societies like Hong Kong and Taiwan. Without Hong Kong and Taiwan a lot of the garment and technology production centers of Mainland China would not be as successful as they are. There is nothing to win for the PRC in changing the status of HK or Taiwan to normal Mainland municipalities or provinces.

The USA is in no way obliged to help the ROC militarily. That treaty expired in 1980:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Ameri … nse_Treaty

The USA is in no way obliged to help the ROC militarily. That treaty expired in 1980:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Ameri … nse_Treaty[/quote]

Exactly. And the often quoted Taiwan Relations Act does not require the U.S. to intervene militarily if the PRC attacks or invades Taiwan, and the U.S. has adopted a policy of “strategic ambiguity” in which the U.S. neither confirms nor denies that it would intervene in such a scenario.

[quote=“hsinhai78”]
Exactly. And the often quoted Taiwan Relations Act does not require the U.S. to intervene militarily if the PRC attacks or invades Taiwan, and the U.S. has adopted a policy of “strategic ambiguity” in which the U.S. neither confirms nor denies that it would intervene in such a scenario.[/quote]

The US is ambiguous about it’s obligation to defend Taiwan against PRC attacks, but it is not ambiguous about its concerns about China’s increasing blatant military expansions into the pacific.

Interesting stuff. I don’t think China would attack Taiwan, because they would destroy the very thing they want to have. But who knows, anything could happen right?

Maybe not, but life is not without surprises.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“hsinhai78”]
Exactly. And the often quoted Taiwan Relations Act does not require the U.S. to intervene militarily if the PRC attacks or invades Taiwan, and the U.S. has adopted a policy of “strategic ambiguity” in which the U.S. neither confirms nor denies that it would intervene in such a scenario.[/quote]

The US is ambiguous about it’s obligation to defend Taiwan against PRC attacks, but it is not ambiguous about its concerns about China’s increasing blatant military expansions into the pacific.[/quote]

Sure and that’s why the USA affirms Japan’s rule over the Diaoyutais. And because they have this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_ … _and_Japan

Maybe not, but life is not without surprises.

Supposedly WWI was predicted by almost nobody, even though there were tensions it wasn’t something you could foresee.

WWII was far more predictable, but again not in it’s huge scale I guess.

In the Israeli-Arab wars the second war was also a surprise attack from Israel.

Taiwan should keep its guard up.

washington Times: Invastion Exercise of China targets at Taiwan

Code name 2013A, 2013B, and 2013C, this series of invasion exercise is simply a Chinese modification of Roosevelt’s carrot and stick tactic - China waves the stick to threat Taiwanese people in order to make Ma YJ’s (poisonous) carrot appear attractive.

[quote=“printlessfoot”]

washington Times: Invastion Exercise of China targets at Taiwan

Code name 2013A, 2013B, and 2013C, this series of invasion exercise is simply a Chinese modification of Roosevelt’s carrot and stick tactic - China waves the stick to threat Taiwanese people in order to make Ma YJ’s (poisonous) carrot appear attractive.[/quote]

Re: The map… I think the Majors are just deciding where to go on holiday next year and the Generals are deciding where to buy their property in Taiwan :popcorn:

1 Like

[quote=“shiadoa”]
Re: The map… I think the Majors are just deciding where to go on holiday next year and the Generals are deciding where to buy their property in Taiwan :popcorn:[/quote]
They cannot help but giving people the impression of some investors attending a seminar about timeshares or money-laundry. Sorry, I am unkind :blush: .

Or maybe a weight-loss convention. Some impressive paunches and jowls on display there.

“No question now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Meh. Only thing I’m upset about is that Black “American” lives may be lost trying to defend yellow people that hate us so that white men can retain their paradise.

Well, in 2020, there probably won’t be many Black “Americans” left though with the rate things are going.

1 Like

You can get toe-tagged.

You can get toe-tagged.[/quote]

Most people on here would not care what colour someone may be. I don’t. To imply that 'black" people in the Army are in some way different to the thousands of ALL groups, including “whites” , who die every year for some Political ideal, is bigoted. The very thing you appear to despise.
I know discrimination is a part of life but until we see people as just people it will carry on longer. You are perpetuating the discrimination by division. :2cents:

1 Like

I get what you’re saying, but at least the white soldiers are worshiped, respected, and adored by the Taiwanese, and when the war is over they’ll have fun being seen as heroes. As far as the Black soldiers are concerned, they would be fighting and dying for naught and treated as subhuman by both the taiwanese that they saved and the whites that they served with (who will be having fun).

Black folks don’t belong in the white man’s military; we get none of the spoils of war and we lower morale.

Your opinion doesn’t matter. You want me to stop discriminating? Tell taiwanese women to give it up to [dark-skinned] brothers on the regular, then I might stop. Until then, I fight fire with fire and I tell all brothas I come across to do the same.

[quote=“BlackCollarBoxing”]I get what you’re saying, but at least the white soldiers are worshiped, respected, and adored by the Taiwanese, and when the war is over they’ll have fun being seen as heroes. As far as the Black soldiers are concerned, they would be fighting and dying for naught and treated as subhuman by both the taiwanese that they saved and the whites that they served with (who will be having fun).

Black folks don’t belong in the white man’s military; we get none of the spoils of war and we lower morale.

Your opinion doesn’t matter. You want me to stop discriminating? Tell taiwanese women to give it up to [dark-skinned] brothers on the regular, then I might stop. Until then, I fight fire with fire and I tell all brothas I come across to do the same.[/quote]
Ok Ok, I get it. I have black friends in Taiwan . If I go out we BOTH get looked at strangely here. Yes, Taiwan has a lot to learn and they are bigoted about so many things. I hope it will change here. I don’t think anyone is treated as subhuman, surely?

1 Like