"Taiwanese flag" doesn't include Kinmen

You ain’t been on the rock long FreeTaiwan. China Post is propoganda. Grow a fro like Urodacus and we can talk. Shanghai Communique says it all. The order of WTO entry, PRC, then ROC, confirms it. China is the dominatrix. Get down on your knees. I just hope that she spares the Gaoliang to keep the neighborhood drama alive. All wil be punished that are involved in hurting my beautiful Formosa.

[quote=“freetaiwanblog”]

That is a Photoshop-powered political cartoon - all newspapers do this one way or another.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, do you have a properly licensed version of Photoshop that you paid for, or are you trying to take after the KMT and appropriate the use of what is not yours? :smiley:

I wonder what free makes of maps not showing the Senkakus as ROC territory until the 70s?

I also wonder how free can claim Hoklo racism stands behind Kinmen not being included on the flag when the residents of Kinmen are Hoklo.

As a matter of fact, I am not pulling a Chen Shui-bian on Adobe. :smiley: I did pay for my copy of Photoshop CS5. :whistle:

Hoklo as an ethnic group are Taiwan people of Fujian Province descent, the people of Fujian Province are not called Hoklo! You wouldn’t call Desmond Tutu “African-American”, would you?

Why do I write Hoklo racism then? Simple: this is no “Taiwanese racism”, aboriginal people have nothing to do with it. Neither do other demographics of Taiwan, such as Hakka and Waishengren.

From Hoklo.org:

It’s absurd to suggest that there is racism between Taiwan mainland and Kinmen resdients when you are taking about people with a common ancestry, language and culture. What you are suggesting is as nonsensical as claiming that rivalry between Toronto and Chicago’s Irish communities is racist in nature. There may be dislke, hatred, suspicion etc, as is not unsual between different regions, but not racism.

Furthermore, you have not offered the slightest bit of evidence that any racism or bigotry is occuring today. You are literally assuming it must exist and then looking for evidence.

And again, all this bizarre sensitivity to the minutaie of ethnicity in Taiwan just doesn’t seem likely from a white boy in Cali. I still contend you are a complete (though amusing) fraud.

Oh and I see it is Christmas in Taiwan (though I still have a day here in Vancouver). Merry Christmas to you oh sower of discord.

I’m not a white boy in California oO

Merry Christmas to you as well. Which area do you live? I used to live in Richmond.

PS: Let me add you on FB and you’ll see I’m a real person.

This is not a DPP flag, but the flag of an originally Canadian Formosan independence group. (Notice the similarity with the Canadian flag–they’re arguing for a political parallel here.) It’s by far the best design for a Taiwan flag that I’ve yet seen since, you know, its meaning is obvious.

Liberties are often taken with maps for the purpose of coins and specie. (Most recently there was a flap over an inaccurate map of the Philippines featured on a new banknote design from that country.) If it bothers you, I guess you could always use a green marker to adjust the image to the desired territorial claims.

[quote=“Zla’od”]This is not a DPP flag, but the flag of an originally Canadian Formosan independence group. (Notice the similarity with the Canadian flag–they’re arguing for a political parallel here.) It’s by far the best design for a Taiwan flag that I’ve yet seen since, you know, its meaning is obvious.

Liberties are often taken with maps for the purpose of coins and specie. (Most recently there was a flap over an inaccurate map of the Philippines featured on a new banknote design from that country.) If it bothers you, I guess you could always use a green marker to adjust the image to the desired territorial claims.[/quote]

I guess it bothers people living only 3 km away from the PRC who feel marginalized by the DPP anyways. Kinmen people don’t feel “Taiwanese”, they have a different historic experience - I can understand any grudge they hold against green activists using a flag for a new state that does not include Kinmen.

The official DPP is flag is even worse: it only includes Taiwan. Penghu and Green Island / Orchid Island are small archipelagos that always belonged to “Taiwan” - Kinmen and Matsu have only been in one political entity since 1945. Before they were part of different countries (Japan / Qing China, ROC) or provinces (which they are still today).

[quote=“freetaiwanblog”]
The official DPP is flag is even worse: it only includes Taiwan. Penghu and Green Island / Orchid Island are small archipelagos that always belonged to “Taiwan” - Kinmen (Jinmen) and Mazu have only been in one political entity since 1945. Before they were part of different countries (Japan / Qing China, ROC) or provinces (which they are still today).[/quote]

The flag of Canada just shows a maple leaf. There’s not even a tree trunk!

The flag of Canada does not imply anything in regard to Canada’s territory. What a strange comparison you draw here…

The flag of Canada does not imply anything in regard to Canada’s territory. What a strange comparison you draw here…[/quote]

Isn’t canada part of the ROC since old times? :ohreally:

The flag of Canada does not imply anything in regard to Canada’s territory. What a strange comparison you draw here…[/quote]
Number 1: Look at the scale. There’s no room for a tiny wee green splodge without shrinking the map down so that it would just look stupid.
Number 2: “Taiwanese flag?” Bollocks! Its the World Taiwanese Congress flag – just a bunch of looneytunes overseas Chinese desperately trying to keep what they feel is some kind of connection to a place they know basically nothing about.
Hardly “Taiwanese.” They have about as much relevance to Taiwan as those Canadians who like getting dressing up in kilts because some distant ancestor came from Greenock.

Greenock, Pennsylvania or Greenock, Texas?

Neither does any other flag, including the alleged DPP one. Point taken?

When??? When exactly is this event, which is supposedly so troubling to the people of Jinmen, expected to occur?

If we listened to you guys, Chen was so green there must have been grass sprouting out his butthole, so that should have happened by now yeah?

Many people in western Canada feel marginalized by the federal government not least because we are so under represented in the Senate. No democracy is perfect but even so, to return to Taiwan, if Kinmen residents feels alienated in spirit they were not denied the vote during 8 years of DDP rule, nor were their needs for development ignored. There is nothing to suggest it will be any different in the future. You have nothing but the swifting sands of bigotry propping up these thoughts of yours.

Many people in western Canada feel marginalized by the federal government not least because we are so under represented in the Senate. No democracy is perfect but even so, to return to Taiwan, if Kinmen residents feels alienated in spirit they were not denied the vote during 8 years of DDP rule, nor were their needs for development ignored. There is nothing to suggest it will be any different in the future. You have nothing but the swifting sands of bigotry propping up these thoughts of yours.[/quote]
It’s perhaps worth noting that during DPP rule Jinmen and Mazu became greatly over-represented in the national legislature. Since 2004 those sparsely populated islands have had the same number of representatives in the Legislative Yuan as places on Taiwan with many, many times their population.

Many people in western Canada feel marginalized by the federal government not least because we are so under represented in the Senate. No democracy is perfect but even so, to return to Taiwan, if Kinmen (Jinmen) residents feels alienated in spirit they were not denied the vote during 8 years of DDP rule, nor were their needs for development ignored. There is nothing to suggest it will be any different in the future. You have nothing but the swifting sands of bigotry propping up these thoughts of yours.[/quote]

Mucha Man, I only say two words: CANADIAN AIRLINES :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:

YET: the racism argument sticks!

Waishengren and Benshengren are of the same descent. The only people genetically different are Taiwan aboriginals.
Yet in their propaganda, the green crowd calls the R.O.C. a “foreign occupation”. Kinmenese are undoubtedly Waishengren. Kinmen has undoubtedly always been a part of China - there is no way to suggest anything else as in the case of Taiwan.

Are you sure nothing will change in a Republic of Taiwan ? :neutral:

This is important because…?

Do you actually know anything about Taiwan in the late 1940s? Have you ever actually looked at the political and military scene from 1945 to 1949, and the flight of the defeated ROC to Taiwan, and their setting up of a govt in exile?