Taiwanese food is great!

I eat Taiwanese food regularly. Whenever I go to Rockville.

Gloppy like a Taiwanese omelet?

2 Likes

Let me voice some reason back into this thread. No country is a food paradise. Just based on basic numbers. Taiwan has shit food, Taiwan has amazing food. Same goes for everywhere. Some places are easier to get yummiest food, UT objectively GOOD food is hard everywhere outside the jungle and the water ways. Food in Taiwan that is objectively good (ie. Not just taste feel, but quality) is far more expensive than most other countries…thus, most people don’t experience it due to financial realities. We are an ultra industrialized country. This should be standard. It’s the same everywhere. Only logistics and ethics change this, not necessarily finance and taste preferences.

Taiwanese cuisine is fucking amazing. This is non negotiable! I am not talking about normal cheap factory pseudo Chinese fare. I mean actual Taiwan aese cuisine. Basically, natural, local aboriginal cuisine. Won’t lie, some foreign spices take it from 4 stars to 5 right quick.

On this point, most people are confusing Taiwanese cuisine with Chinese and fusions of other cultures. Nope. Taiwanese cuisine, as far as eating locally sourced endangered species, is fucking Michelin level. But again, not everyone can experience this (due to bith scarcity, labor and price). Based solely on land mass and population density, I hope most do not experience it because that means extinction risks for very many species. Which we already are seeing.

End of the day, Taiwanese cuisine is absolutely first class. I will die on this hill! Haha

Not many people now get to enjoy this. Only get glimpses of it.

Taiwanese cuisine is the furthest thing from sustainable. It’s actually disgusting from an environmental perspective. Serious issue. Some things can be farmed.

Chinese food in Taiwan…well, we may as well compare to any other foreign food in Taiwan. Spicy hotpot is as foreign as hamburgers. Fact. I remain adamant that Chinese cuisine is a foreign cuisine, because…well…obviously they are a foreign nation. But taiwanese people, as the modern new nation it is today, take these thingsan evolve it.

Now, back to shit talking…

2 Likes

Sorry, no sauce to spare for him. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Crème brûlée

It 100% is a fringe opinion. This site’s opinion is fringe.

You’re on this site, ergo your opinion is also fringe. :wink:

Is this site sentient? What is this site’s opinion? That’s like saying males are “aaa”, females are “bbb”, foreigners are “ccc”, whatever broad group are “ddd”. Just in this thread alone I see 3 very distinct opposing opinions of Taiwanese food. Which one of those does this site represent?

I get your opposition on many threads. But I also note you never follow up with any sort of sensible reasoning behind your thoughts. Why not start talking through your points, with people that disagree, and everyone can progress and evolve further :slight_smile: loads of threads I would love to have a back and forth with you, but you tend to just give up and just be angry. Which is a sad thing given your strong opinions. You must have reasons for thinking so. Same with everyone else. Back up your claims…otherwise no one will take you information seriously, even if you do have a strong case :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can give hi your milk.

speaking of, with Taiwan mountain Blue Berries at Famil just now (nice weather tonight to be outside)

3 Likes

I love Taiwanese food, and I know it’s been one hot minute (or decade) since you’ve been to Taiwan, but you know that Taiwanese food in the US and Taiwanese food in Taiwan generally differ, even in really authentic places in places with huge Asian (and specifically Taiwanese) populations (I’m looking at you, Alhambra CA), right?

It tastes quite sharp and synthetic, has barely seen a hint of blueberry imo

Are you planning to make shaved ice as well?

Again, here is your “everyone is weird except me, no one understand us” group therapy session for those with fringe opinions:

Not really in Richmond in Canada. When I worked on Vancouver Island, my missus would always come with me on work trips to Vancouver because of Richmond Taiwan supermarkets and restaurants. Many are the real thing. Bubble tea, beef noodles, T&T supermarket, hot pot etc.

Bubble tea, yeah, sure. Groceries, ok, to a limited extent. But restaurants? Hot pot can get seriously close, but beef noodle is a good example of what I’m talking about - while I enjoy beef noodle soup in Taiwan, the quality of ingredients in every beef noodle soup I’ve had in the US is far superior than what I’ve had in Taiwan (and I’ve had far more in Taiwan). I’m sure there’s superior beef noodle in Taiwan, but the typical one in Taiwan (at least Taipei) is generally pretty different than in the US, even with the “same” ingredients.

2 Likes

I know the place you’re referring to. That place is good because they actually salt (although I’ve only had their breakfast), but it’s not “food in Taiwan”.

Nobody is really saying Taiwanese food sucks per se. It can taste good if you actually season it. We are mostly saying the food in Taiwan sucks, whether it’s Taiwanese or Chinese or pizza or others.

1 Like

Pretty sure nobody here is talking about aboriginal cuisine. We’re talking about most of the food you get here, and most of that is Hokkien.

2 Likes

At least we can agree the food most people eat here isn’t enjoyable

1 Like

The best Pork chop rice, Cold noodles, and Dan Dan Noodles I’ve had are in the US not Taiwan, but those are from old generation immigrants who kept the original expensive recipes and didnt skimp on superior ingredients to sell cheaper food. I can also get a similar level of Stinky Tofu. However the Oysters in Taiwan are far better than US. Plus US is just friggin expensive now. Taiwan has way better drink selections and hot pots than US and the buffets here are better than Vegas

2 Likes

That is literally only due to availability of ingredients. Largely through places like T&T which was founded by Ci dy and family (taiwa ese). They are now Loblaws, like real canadian superstore. Just for referrence. But they still do amazing stuff in getting Taiwanese food into a tiny market like Canada. The government here also has huge welfare plans to try and export said taiwnaese food products abroad. Something of a contention between political parties here (ckmt being reliant on China and dpp wanting more diversification)

That said, even in Richmond, and surrounding areas, the taiwnaese food is VASTLY different than here in Taiwan. Not saying it isn’t good. The “taiwanese” hot pot there is fantastic, albiet outrageously exlensive. However, basic laws on hygiene make certain foods impossible in “clean” countries. For a Western example: pasta sauce, soup, lasagna etc always tastes better the second day. That type of thing. Certain types of socially accepted rot won’t pass everywhere :slight_smile: I would argue, greater Vancouver in general has the best food options on the left half of the country. Never been far east, so can’t compare to Toronto, Montreal etc.

Yes. Chinese food here is largely shit.

Taiwanese cuisine is first class, however :slight_smile: I will keep insisting because it tends to get lumped together when they are 2 different things. Otherwise i will keep making jokes about “American food” in terms of KFC and mcdonalds. Their varied cuisine is top rate as well. I am trying to split the normal western food and chinese food types here that tend to be crap, from the actual highly skilled Taiwanese eaters. In general, I find the average taiwa ese pallete far superior than many Caucasian ones. As far as being able to identify and match flavors. Sadly, financial reasons and education on health get in the way of those genetics becoming more fruitful.

At the same time, Taiwan is expensive. One can’t compare $5usd in Thailand to here because it is WAY more expensive here. Taiwanese food, sadly, costs more money than most countries. For good, properly made food. I would argue it’s more expensive than Canada even. Obviously the salaries don’t match up, and people just assume shitty crap is what represents then local cuisine, which it doesn’t. It represents the local financial situation.