Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

I am curious about why they did not leave right away. Maybe they did not have US visa or something. I know the guy from the program wher eteh father shows up said he told the guy he could leave anytime as this was an emergency with his son. As to economy, these says it might be teh only thing available, as everyone and their coousin is flying away for the long holidays.

As to emergencies, well, the evening I was paying for my trip, there busted an older couple. Their daughter had suffered a serious health problem and they wanted to fly out NOW. It was almost 9pm, next flight was 11 something. They wanted that. Agent next to mine said they wouldn’t make it. Long story short, the agent worked some keyboard magic and got them tickets. Hubby left hurridly to retrieve some stuff from their home. “Don’t waste time calling a cab, there is a line here at the MRT station, as soon as your husband comes back with the passports and we check visa is current, Go. Do not waste time with clothes/packing. Tell your husband you can buy stuff there, just GO!”, the agent said. I saw them bolt out ticket in hand less than 10 minutes in.

As to local press, words cannot express the disgust at such attitudes under such stressful circunstances.

Watching the news now (TVBS), wife says reporter stated they actually flew premium economy.

(Edit whole post: information was about another Chinese kid with an inappropriate weapon, not this one. Hard to keep track these days.)

you-know-youre-getting-old-when you confuse school shootings.
This belongs into another thread!

They dont even talks about how to solve the problem of young teenagers having guns. Nothing good needs to track.

Well, Henry Lee was called to give his opinion and he pointed out that the threat has to be treated as merely hersay, without recording or anything, it would be hard to prove. It is just how reliable the witnesses are.

Kid has been cooperative and singing like a canary to the authorities though. I bet lawyers will have fun with that anyways.

I am concerned though with them emphasizing the “joke” angle. Kid joking about something so serious in that context…bad. Older adults trivializing the statement to get him out of this pickle…worse.

Maybe not so much “joke” after all. Handmade gun and 1600 rounds.

4 Likes

Default stances of Taiwanese people seems to be denial always…

He seems quite the enterprising young lad. Too bad he couldn’t have channeled his energies into something a bit more constructive.

5 Likes

Parents default stance seems to be denial.

Fixed that for ya.

So sorry for them. Parent have not seen their kid, they hoped to meet on the 5th. Very heartbreaking, but if true, it could have been much worse.

Nevertheless, this part is really worrisome:

Chitwood said that much of the new evidence was found in a black bag that the host parent had found in Sun’s room and hid before police arrived for their initial search, but he did not reveal where police were able to find the bag. “Subsequently we were able to locate the ammo in a different spot and we got a statement from the host family/parent, and we’re still investigating that,”said Chitwood.

Them going to jail for obstruction of justice.

Probably would have been a great engineer/inventor. I mean, self assembly of such complex machinese as guns and flamethrowers, with a bit of channeling, might have avoided the burst.

1600 rounds? Anyone still think he wasn’t serious?

Some serious jail time on the cards for this little dickhead.

5 Likes

Yeah, maybe. Worth noting too that law enforcement did its job properly in this case. If his parents had sent him to a school in Broward County, we’d probably be reading about how he successfully carried out a mass shooting.

4 Likes

who knows.

The school too. Once bitten twice shy. And Philly, well, they have had their share of violence, they are weary of threats and recognized the danger.

Moreover, in thsi current climate, it is better safe than sorry. But many police forces lack the resources, mainly human, to dela with these cases.

That is teh problem: making a joke about uch a horrible thing shows callousness. Such lack of empathy is a key sign of danger of going off the rails and starting a shootout.

A joke for negative attention can be understood, but in teh context, with all those weapons, and worse, with the intention to hide evidence, all equals a big oopsie now is a humongous stinking mess.

I am not talk about that joke. Just got confused about the authenticity of news reports.

I am allowing the parents making the “joke defense” because otherwise, the reality is too scary for them to handle.
Initially, one may think an immature 18 year old might say something really stupid. Things have turned up for the worse though.

I was thinking about a parent-child education: That child’s parents should educate children how to communicate with people without feeling threatening or uncomfortable. Excuse me, that looks off topic.

not sure why anyone would feel sorry for the parents. they have failed at many things, including parenting. and things could have ended much differently.