Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

You can deny it all you want, but a Taiwanese managed to commit a terrorist act (like he was charged with by the US government and plead gulity to) in the USA and basically got away with it (outside some small jail time).

So I’m finished.

3 Likes

Speaking of which…

Help me out here. What exactly is ridiculous/useless about the law as it stands in Italy?

He told a schoolmate not to show up for school. That’s an act of terrorism in your world?!

He was not convicted for committing a terrorist act.

The US government convicted him of making threats and of illegally possessing firearm parts in order to deny him re-entry into the US.

He committed no actual acts of terrorism, however.

If you are unable to distinguish a “threat” from an act, then I can’t help.

1 Like

Best case scenario, the kid is a spoiled brat, overcuddled prick who has the sensitivity and social intelligence of a turnip, who collects heavy weaponery and ammunition as a hobby, makes macho posturing videos with weapons on social media, and thinks mass shootings are a joke.

Worst case scenario: an enabled sociopath. With money, technical resources and basically carte blanche get out of jail for when the manure hits the fan.

In other news, remind me to put the latest link about his mother´s nervous breakdown. Don´t wanna know what si going on there.

2 Likes

If you’re unable to figure out that a threat is an indication of a plan, and if the plan is not thwarted, that’s an indication of a lot of dead children at a school, then I can’t help you. We have enough of these that are not thwarted in time in the US to know what the natural progression is when a teenager stockpiles weapons and ammunition and then tells his buds not to be in school a certain day.

FIFY

You do make a stellar rep of the majority report, however. :+1:

Play nice. We do not assume. There are way too many references in these cases where the shooter fits a certain profile, plus stockpiles weapons like it was the zombie apocalypse. Then people complain because he was not stopped when all the signs were there. Those were not signs, those were cries for help. Stop me or I´ll give in to my anguish.

2 Likes

Demonstrably false.

Example, Name a single terrorist act committed by this kid that does not rely on a legal assumption.

Exactly, if I beat the US of A who am I going to fear? Taiwanese can’t fire a gun police?

Legal precedent, I would say.

Terrorist threat. Considered legally binding.

And from your text, it seemed you said we assume about kids presenting symptoms before the big break down. Not this especific case.

The things we humans will accept if we’re frightened badly enough, I swear.

So, about 120 years ago American fruit companies set up enclave economies in Honduras. It was all done perfectly legally and the resulting changes to Honduras and its infrastructure were legally binding.

Yet you now believe that “legally binding” always makes right?

Like I said, fear makes a funny kind of partner.

You don’t have children, do you?

Smae as it is legally binding that NOW in Honduras they use banned pesticides, takes over water resources and any complaints should be filed in the US.

Do not mix two things. What he did was against the law. If we are going to talk about law and morality, what he did was also immoral. You do not threaten. He said that to a friend, among a group of friends. He did not deny it. His words carried such weight they landed him in jail, not because he was bullied, but because he was the bully. His classmates and teachers had deemed his previosu behaviour so out of norms that they believed his threat ws that, a threat, not a joke. So did the police.

It is like that infamous urban tale about the Taiwanese guy who greeted a group of brothers in LA as ma niggers and got beaten up. You could argue linguistically he was right morally to use that phrase, but the conseuqences were just as much. The Sun kid also used a phrase that has been labeled as dangerous, has gotten other people in troubvle and did so in teh context of a couple of days after a massacre, when copycapts are most active. He got what he deserved morally and legally, just as if he had parked his Lambo on a disabled parking spot and gotten it towed.

Sun broke the law. he made a threat. It was as funny as pushing hsi pal off a moving vehicle. It was just as legally binding as throwing a stone to a window or driving without a license. That simple. There are no special allocations because he is dealing with guns and guns are special case because we use them for self defense. So a stone.

1 Like

He claimed it was a joke, if I remember. We don’t know what he had in mind. He likes weapons, to be sure. The person he lived with in the US didn’t seem to have a problem with that. (What ever happened to her by the way? Was she charged with concealing evidence or anything?) My issue is with people jumping to conclusions that he’s extremely likely to do something illegal/dangerous. Would that be something worth paying attention to? Sure. Is it something we need to circle the wagons over? This seems like an exaggerated concern to me. Two justice systems in the US determined what the penalties should be for his act. He spent like 6 months in jail if I recall, and his plans of attending university in the States are done. So he has paid a price, what seems to me to be an appropriate price under the circumstances.

1 Like

I have children, nephews, nieces, grandchildren, and grandnieces and grandnephews, all of whom know better than to rely on the police or a school resource officer for their life - and are able to act on that knowledge.

Wow, this horse is longer in the tooth than I thought. :smile:

2 Likes

Let’s at least be clear that his only crime (outside collecting some gun parts) was something he said.

Not something he did, but something he said.

He committed no acts of terrorism in the US - none. Zero. Zip. Nada. Not a single act committed by him.

He made Philadelphians nervous, that is all. For making them nervous he spent time in jail, was convicted of a felony in US Court, and has been banned for re-entry to the US.

For making city folk nervous. Period. Full stop.

Words carry weight. As the example with the N word, certain words are banned or restricted because of teh intention, the call to action they represent. They are called hate speech.

In thsi case, he showed disregard to context: school context, time context. It is not the Philadelphia people being over sensitive, this has happened in other places/context with teh same pharse, which has become an ominous call to action: do not come to school tomorrow, I will surprise everyone at school tomorrow, they will see a new me. The firts association people have with those words is not a cake or a new haircut. Unfortuinately, those phrases have become associated with shootings.

Sun did break the law because he was buying and storing weapons and ammo without proper legal permission. This action was found after he commited the first mistake, which was the threat. He was jailed for having weapons after making a threat, and making his threat credible because he did break the law initially by purchasing guns illegally -by illegal I mean he was not legally entitled to teh purchase of weapons. So from the legal point he did break the law once by purchasing weapons, it was logical to assume that he would pursue his threat as he had already broken the law into taking the first step.

The example I would use isbeing stopped by a cop for having a broken taillight and they see you with red eyes and slurred speech. The broken taillight allows them to search your vehicle and test you, and lo and behold they find you have pot -in a non legal state- and are drunk. Now, you can say you were not going to drive away under the influence, the car was at a parking lot when found with a broken tailight. But the keys are in your pocket…

And yes, I am curious about his house mother. She was a lawyer. Did she lose her license? She should have. She aided and abeited in commiting a crime: illegal purchase of weapons by an alien.

1 Like

No such regulation critter in the US. You seem to be mixing up what the rest of the world deems a crime and what we in the US do not, thankfully, criminalize.

Possibly because PK Dick was both an American and, evidently, a prophet of sorts.

In any case, the US found a way to assuage Philadelphia’s nervousness and hung a felony around Sun’s neck. Given the rest of the world’s approval of criminalizing hate speech, I (guess) I understand where you’re coming from.

However, it does not change the fact the Sun was penalized for making Philadelphia nervous, and nothing more.

1 Like

I can relate, 30 years living in L.A. I’ve never been robbed, Nor have I ever heard a single friend, family member, or co worker being robbed in those 30 yrs. 3 days in Rome I get robbed.

1 Like