Teaching English while Transgender in Taiwan

Ten years ago?

Yeah I feel things were worse ten years ago in regards to all forms of discrimination.

I have known 2 MTF transgender individuals from the US who came here to teach and both failed to get a job. One had a teaching certificate, the other just a bachelor degree. Both expressed their frustration at being treated as if they were extreme oddities. They were both passable until they talked. Voice was a huge factor.

This does not mean the same thing will happen to the OP.
Anything can happen.
I just want her to have the right picture of how things will probably be.
I hope she is able to get a job.

Itā€™s not really relevant now, especially with regards to transgender people.

1 Like

But we have seen transgender people in this thread who are succeeding.

Everyone knows schools discriminate based on various aspects of appearance here. But many people still have worked past it. If you maintain a professional appearance and can do the job, I will go out on a limb and say you will find opportunities. It may not always be easy, but I rather think transgender people will be used to that.

5 Likes

Well I doubt an openly transgender person would have much hope in teaching 10 or letā€™s say 15 years ago , but now itā€™s better but still not easy.

1 Like

?

?

What does that mean?

Someone not hiding their past

Iā€™m confused what this means in the context of being trans?

I think I get the point. Couldnā€™t you be trans, and not present as such at work? You would not be ā€œopenly transgenderā€ in that context

1 Like

Idk tbh?

Isnā€™t that more of like a cross dressing /gender fluidity thing? Most transgender friends I have are all women and stay that way. They would feel strange pretending to be a male sometimes, when they have worked so hard (hormones/titty implants) to become female and feel in their rightful bodies. Idk tho, Iā€™m no expert.

2 Likes

This might be even more awkward if your physical appearance has been noticeably affected by hormones at that point.

Itā€™s also not really good for the soul to repress your true self like that. I mean, I pretend to be someone Iā€™m not at work all the time, but itā€™s not quite the same.

1 Like

Cheers. Not saying it wouldnā€™t feel strange or be good, just to be clear.

1 Like

There are transwomen teaching in buxibans, so itā€™s possible. Transmen would have it easier, I think, but Iā€™ve never knowingly met one.

There are buxibans that follow strict equal rights employment laws. The British Council is an obvious example. They celebrate diversity so being trans could be an advantage during the hiring process.

1 Like

Honestly Iā€™m confused not being unpleasant at all. So if they are trans I presume that they identify as women and have the sexual organs of women, but were originally men and now are women but do not have a womb and require hormone therapy, is this a correct definition ? And does ā€œtransā€ mean in the process of transformation or fully transformed ?

1 Like

Yes there are.

I have seen someone with a neck tattoo and head/face tattoo work as an English teacher here.

He wears a doorag and cap to hide 95% of his head/face tattoos but you can still see some of it near his orbital/cheek bones (hard to describe). The neck tattoo is not hidden at all.

1 Like

Thank you.
This is good and useful information.
But would am skeptical about the majority of buxibans and private schools.

Brazil and Thailand. I traveled to these countries before. You are completely wrong if you think these two countries are free of discrimination. I donā€™t see any difference if someone admits he or she has prejudices and someone who pretends he or she is supportive just to avoid confrontation. I was invited to a dinner party of LGBT. One of my best friends is gay and he lives in Taiwan. I was the only one who was straight in the party. I can say that some treated me very nice, but some didnā€™t. Some of them bullied me even I didnā€™t provoke them. Some were rude to me no matter how I tried to be friendly. In my point of view, we can never make everyone to like us the way we are. But, I think self-acceptance is the most important thing. Then, we can inspire other people to accept us instead of living with fears about what other people will react against us. We just need to protect ourselves from hate crimes. They still exist everywhere, not only against LGBT. It involves religions, races, etc.