The Burger Stop Chat Thread

:raspberry:

The Brits have burgers? I don’t think I’ve ever had a Brit burger. :ponder:[/quote]
Of course, they do. Wimpy!

Thanks to all that are stopping by to give us a try.

1 week down and already retooling some of our processes to make things better! Beer will be on the menu this week; Bud, Miller, & Coors.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Hope to see you all again.

Thanks,

Dave

Yay beer.

Burgerboy, all success and luck to ya and the misses. You’ll do fine under one condition:

Try to find the Unique Sales Proposition you have (around that competititive area) versus others, while mainly listening to what 99% of your customers would like to see (locals as such)

Don’t get me wrong, advice from fine Forumosan’s is welcome, but they will only represent max 1-2% of your revenue.
Yep, Taiwanese do not like French Mustard , so Yep, you need to have the sweet yellow rubbish :laughing:

Hope to come buy once in the next weeks when my cholesterol is under control :whistle:

[quote=“ceevee369”]Burgerboy, all success and luck to ya and the misses. You’ll do fine under one condition:

Try to find the Unique Sales Proposition you have (around that competititive area) versus others, while mainly listening to what 99% of your customers would like to see (locals as such)

Don’t get me wrong, advice from fine Forumosan’s is welcome, but they will only represent max 1-2% of your revenue.
Yep, Taiwanese do not like French Mustard , so Yep, you need to have the sweet yellow rubbish :laughing:

Hope to come buy once in the next weeks when my cholesterol is under control :whistle:[/quote]

That’s good advice, thank you. The “Locals” want to have more menu options, being that some (more than I imagined) do not eat beef, which doesn’t leave them much choices. I will probably have to give in a bit to appease the masses, but I’m surely going to try and not deviate from my initial model.

Again, I appreciate the comments and feed back. You guys and gals are great!!

Dave

I’d suggest finding a good recipe for a chicken burger, the locals seem to love those

[quote=“Wacow”]wife and I just went, GREAT burgers!

Just a note, this burger is not modeled after the “thick patty… lots of meat” idea of other non-chain burger joints in Taiwan, so just fair warning to those that are expecting x/xx pound… xxx ounce… xxx grams, etc. for size comparison purposes (not meant as an attack on anyone on this thread). Dave rather follows the formula that the beef patty is just one of many different integral ingredients that when put together correctly, creates a delicious culinary synergy.

Flavorful beef with the cheese melted on top, crisp, fresh lettuce, perfect hand-size buns (not the local, sweet loaf-of-bread buns) and quality ingredients. I think I even detected grilled onions in there… not sure since I nearly inhaled the double burger in a couple of minutes. For those of you from California, the very best comparison is In-'N-Out Burger. They look, and most of all taste, almost exactly the same, which is phenomenal! For those of you not familiar with In-'N-Out, it’s a hugely profitable burger chain on the US West Coast that also has a very simple business model of burgers, fries, and shakes: in-n-out.com/default.asp

Then again, this is Taiwan and not the US, so to be viable, businesses need to cater to the local masses in some way. As such, some select advice should be heeded from this forum, such as having other menu options. Maybe have a core menu and an “Other Favorites” section with non-beef items, separated so that your burger’s integrity remains intact. Much like Lawry’s Prime Rib or Ruth’s Chris also has a small seafood selection…just in case.[/quote]

JB Burger in Taipei (off Yenchi St. near Ren Ai) does a decent In and Out copy.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
JB Burger in Taipei (off Yanji St. near Ren Ai) does a decent In and Out copy.[/quote]

Nice, thanks for the tip! I’ll have to make my way over there soon for a test drive.

One can really appreciate a good burger when one has had some that were anything but.
I remember going to a mom/pop burger joint once, next door to a laundromat in the city (of SF). And I shouldve noticed something was amiss by the general untidyness (being kind here) of the place, plus all the broken games there. That couple made what I would candidly describe as absolutely THE WORST burger in the known universe.

No surprise they went out of biz shortly thereafter.

Hey all,

Thanks for the support. I’ve seen a of couple folks back for seconds.

Let me try to address some of the comments here.

For those carnivores that crave more meat, I’d suggest adding another patty to your burger next time you stop in. Just ask for it. A triple stack will ring you in at ½ pound of beef, with 4 slices of cheese!

We are still working through the training issues to keep the product consistent, i.e., amount of salt on the Onion Rings and Fries, plus preparation cook times and such. Everyone is learning at different speeds. Some individuals you have to tell 3+ times before it sinks in. Maybe there are some communication gaps here too, since I know only 5 words of Mandarin so far, and lots of hand motions. grin

Beer is officially on the menu! Coors Lite, Miller Chill (Lime), and Budweiser.

I’m going to take some recommendations from the masses by adding a few more items to the menu. I got creative and created a fried chicken burger, which turned out to be a very tasty, juicy burger. I’m also going to grind up some pork steaks each day and make patties for those non-beef eaters. I actually like it quite a bit too, but with Swiss rather than American cheese. I’m pretty happy with these two options and I hope others will be too. They should be available by next week.

I think the place is evolving for the good. See you all at The Burger Stop.

Dave

That was the missus and I that stopped by for dinner today. Keep up the good work. I think you’re on the right track.

[quote=“Burgerboy”]

I got creative and created a fried chicken burger[/quote]
In that case, I shall visit your establishment shortly! :thumbsup:

As I said before, you should try to get some beer on the menu. :thumbsdown:

As I said before, you should try to get some beer on the menu. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

Hahah, we’ll start with the American Brews but keep it revolving to see what sticks. The menu will list “Beer” so that will give me the flexibility to change that as needed. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Just joking, mate. Will bring one of my dear friends to your establishment at the end of the month. :smiley:

Thanks so much! Wish I was around to meet you all. I put a cap on my work week at 60 hours. After that, I’m no good to anyone.

As I said before, you should try to get some beer on the menu. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

Hahah, we’ll start with the American Brews but keep it revolving to see what sticks. The menu will list “Beer” so that will give me the flexibility to change that as needed. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave[/quote]

Monteiths - besides Jason’s, I can only find this at KGB right now (Woolomoloo stopped carrying it for some reason). best beer available in Taiwan.

Liberty Ale out of SF (?), someone on these boards is a distributor for Taiwan, they also do Dead Guy and Rogue, I think out of Oregon.

I always liked Abbott and Old Speckled Hen (ol’ specklie) w my burgers…

Thanks to those that have stopped by to check us out! It’s been great getting a chance to meet some of the folks that post and lots that surf this site. Some of you all are real characters! I’m so glad that you enjoy our fine burger cuisine :laughing:.

Check us out on facebook and become a member of our page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Taipei-Taiwan/The-Burger-Stop/275734311378?v=wall&ref=ts

Also, we got a nice review from “A Hungry Girl’s Guide to Taipei”
http://hungryintaipei.blogspot.com/2010/05/burgersnew-in-town-i-strongly-recommend.html

More things to come.

See you all soon,

Dave

[quote=“Burgerboy”]106台北市大安區延吉街137巷26號
No. 26, Ln. 137, Yanji St.
Da’an District, Taipei City 106, Taiwan[/quote]

In case anyone wants the direct Google Maps link, instead of the posted picture:

[googlemaps]25.042001,121.555352[/googlemaps]