The Carrefour 2023 Thread

Not that I remember, but I’m not the most observant.

It just shows you are not a Tienmu diehard. Nothing wrong with that! (Though I would definitely miss Moksha and other places if I followed you down this path.)

Guy

I almost opted for their thali for lunch today, but didn’t feel quite hungry or profligate enough, so I went for nasi lemak at the not-fantastic-but-perfectly-adequate Mr. Chee’s Kopitiam instead.

2 Likes

I had one of the most terrible nasi lemaks in Taipei Main a few weeks ago. Compared to that, Mr Chee cooks like Joseph’s Bistro!

Guy

1 Like

Oh, there’s a restaurant that had undeservedly slipped from my mind!

1 Like

As mentioned above, the Danshui Carrefour is rather chaotic at the moment due to renovations.

I once again failed to find Florida flour tortillas.

I recently posted in another thread about how I like the shopping apps. I’ve changed my mind. It’s worked great for a couple of years. Tonight I opened the Carrefour app, and I needed to log in again. And enter my phone number again. And enter a one time password that showed up twenty seconds later. And to use the credit card tied to the app, I had to reenter the password I set up 2-3 years ago and have never used since, and yeah, I totally remember that, so I gave on the app and used my credit card instead.

So that was annoying for me and those in line behind me.

I guess if you use the Carrefour app, maybe log in and reenter passwords or something? I don’t know if this was from something specific I did, or a broader update.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how new it is, but just noticed today they have thick bacon slices labeled as “American thick cut bacon (walnut smoked flavor),” though it’s a local product of course. I hadn’t seen it before. Has anyone tried it to see if it’s any better than the other stuff they sell?

As a rule, i stay away from all ham and bacon type products with packaging that’s Chinese. Never met my food expectations/always failed to disappoint. So I mostly just gave up on ham and bacon and just splurge on prosciutto every once in a while…

3 Likes

In my case it never fails to disappoint.

2 Likes

The end is coming.

Tamsui branch.
Everything is more expensive now, more Taiwanese, and the lady selling bread is not even naked.

I’m hating my life right now.

3 Likes

I can’t see the prices. It looks like they just did some interior decorating to draw more attention to the “nakery”

The Danshui branch has never been that good for bread, has it? The only bread I’ve bought in recent years there has been the boule and the baguettes.

The Zhishan branch used to have fairly good … ciabatta? … but I haven’t seen those in a while. There are still things with that name, but no longer the right shape for sandwiches - although for all I know, that may be more traditional.

I’m totally missing what “Nakery” is supposed to be - hopefully not just a misspelling of bakery.

I’m not thrilled by now needing to ask for bread, and then probably say no again and again to various up-sells.

I’m curious what “upselling” means in the context of Taiwanese bread. Maybe encouraging you to upgrade to the premium baguette with some whipped cream inside and a sprinkling of meat floss? :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Seems to be a play on words on the fact that there are no additives in the flour. Maybe it works/sounds more clever in Chinese (裸焙坊)

Introduced last August with much fanfare.

1 Like

The shrinkflation warnings are in all French Carrefour stores, and will last until the targeted suppliers agree to price cuts. The retailer could extend warnings to other goods, but does not plan to extend the initiative to other countries.

:disappointed:

3 Likes

It’s common practice to

1. shrink the contents and keep the container the same.

2. Come out later with different similar container that is 20% larger or something but in reality bringing it back to the common size

Oreos amount many others are famous for this. Go buy a small Oreo box right now and it’s 10 20 30% empty on a few months ago it came full.

Yes I need a oreos sometimes

You might also need one less indefinite article. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

Aldi or Lidl would kill in Taiwan

3 Likes

It’s been brought up many times. What’s keeping them? Can we start a petition?