The COOL-ass bug thread

Following this :slight_smile:

time to revive this thread. Found these in / around my house. Also built a butterfly house. It seems to attract ALL kinds of bugs.

neat one! any idea what it is?

Some bugs from around here.

Sure, but not much frigging good if you can’t eat them.

Can’t or won’t? We would all be a little better off if we starting using invertebrates as a protein source :slight_smile: Be easy in processed foods like hot dogs…

Came across this little fella once…

Any idea on ID?

Finally found a chart that depicts my feelings about the beings depicted on this thread, particular, spiders:

i think i’ve developed arachnophobia after reading the last few posts…

It was certainly not the right thread to be reading as I was eating my muesli this morning. Suddenly the texture of the little bits of fruit and nuts became far more suspect. “Oh no, what’s the squishy piece I just bit into?! Why was I reading the screen and not carefully inspecting each spoonful?!”

It was certainly not the right thread to be reading as I was eating my muesli this morning. Suddenly the texture of the little bits of fruit and nuts became far more suspect. “Oh no, what’s the squishy piece I just bit into?! Why was I reading the screen and not carefully inspecting each spoonful?!”[/quote]

If it comes from a box in your home, you do not have to be so untrusting. I have found more crunchy “additional protein” as we call it in Spanish in any bientang.

Which reminds me that roaches here at work have the tendency to pull swan dives into my coffee… I must be alert, otherwise down the cake hole they go. Which is really hard when I am just barely awake to sip my first cup of coffee.

[quote=“Icon”]Finally found a chart that depicts my feelings about the beings depicted on this thread, particular, spiders:

[/quote]

So, I am doing a deep cleaning of my kitchen and other areas where bugs may find themselves at home in my home. My discoveries about the fauna with whom I share my abode:

• At least 6 different kinds of spiders, basically, the first row, nothing bigger than a morsel.
    *At least 3 different color/shape of roaches, couple of albinos BTW
    *Two kinds of geckos: one small and grey, one large and yellow

The spiders in particular love my Spanish cast iron and glass chandeliers, which are a nightmare to clean -but, oh, so pretty. This is appropriate in that context:

some bugs from Pongso no Tao

Phasmotaenia lanyuhensis (筒胸竹節蟲, barrel chested walking sticks)

Helicostyla okadai Kuroda (光澤蝸牛, luminous snail)

Pachyrhynchus tobafolius (小圓斑球背象鼻蟲, small polka dots ball-backed Weevil)

1 Like

That’s the endangered giant stick insect from Taidong right?

yeah, the one we found was tiny though

some bugs from the weekend:
a fly:

a hummingbird moth:

a blue bumble bee

an Asian giant hornet with a huntsman spider

a native Japanese tamamushi beetle

a pretty bug:

3 Likes

wow, where did you find these cool bugs?

I have a place in Beipu in the countryside, next to the river. It’s teeming with all kinds of creepy crawlies, birds, butterflies, dragonflies, spiders, snakes and what not. Love the place. It is amazing how much life there is if you slow down, look and and enjoy.

1 Like

A palm sized mantis with wings that look like dried out leaves. This one fell out of the sky in a grass land in Miaoli.

3 Likes

I saw the smallest of the mantis ever last CNY. I hope I have some pics… if so, I will post some. It was black, looked almost like an ant, and was smaller than some ants. I believe it’s an orchid mantis, but I can’t be sure now. Will look for it.