The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

A letter of intent probably won’t be enough. But I remember that a signed contract with a Taiwanese company was also deemed acceptable proof for the salary requirement at some point.

1 Like

Seems they’re just milking for more money. How much are they charging? The application isn’t that complicated. You can just do it yourself. If you meet the salary requirement then it’s almost 100% chance of approval. If you’re trying to pass based on merit, you should write something convincing or have the experience to back it up.

1 Like

I agree with @jimbob132 and wrote about it a few posts above. To all the “newbies”, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AGENCIES OR INTERMEDIARIES. The whole process has been thought and put in place to be 100% online and done by the applicant. There is a Gold Card Office created by the Taiwanese government to provide (free and official) assistance. What algorithm is this law firm using to determine 60% chances of approval? Now I’m intrigued :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

“Which number is high enough that people don’t get discouraged to continue with us (and won’t be mad at us if it doesn’t work) and at the same time is low enough to avoid encouraging them to try by themselves?”

6 Likes

I wonder how much said law firm charges for this. It’s not like applying is very expensive anyway. Curious what added value the law firm claims to provide…

1 Like

I’m planning to submit my new address this weekend and pick up my new gold card in 1-2 weeks. What happens if I leave Taiwan in 3 months and the address is not valid anymore?
When I come back in mid/end of 2023 I will have a different address.

Can I erase my address completely when leaving Taiwan for a few months or do I just not do anything? Do they send any mail to the address?

I would pay 300NT for an annual post box at the post office and use that as the address on all your documents

I might be mistaken here, but I thought you have to provide a residential address to the Gold Card office?

I read somewhere that if you leave the country and don’t have a residential address, you can use a post box

You need an address and I’m not sure that a post box would be acceptable (welcome to prove me wrong). The best bet is to just keep the current address and either ask someone to collect your mail (if you happen to know others in the building or the landlord is nice enough) or not care about it at all. If you are leaving after just 3 months I doubt that you will be receiving much, apart from ads.

A question about the reference letters for the Gold Card application. Do you think the people checking the applications are specifically requiring/preferring recommendation letters that support one’s Gold Card application and/or emphasizes one’s previous work performance? Or can it simply be reference letters from previous employers that mentions the content, job position, projects etc. one worked for, albeit in a praising manner?

What kind of reference letters did you include (for those whose application was successful)?

I included references letters for my application. In my resume I talked about projects I worked on, then I had a reference written basically backing up that I did work on said projects and their thoughts of working with me.

I’m happy to setup a meeting to discuss in more detail if that helps your prospective application.

Field: Science & Technology
Category: 2.2

2 Likes

I got your PM but I’ll reply here, although I do think I’ve already shared this info previously upthread.

I was advised to include as much as possible in an Arts and Culture application since I do not have any prestigious international awards that would make me an automatic Gold Card candidate. In addition, my arts experience that I was leaning on in my application was from a decade ago, prior to a personal career change. So I really tried to not only present myself as an accomplished and experienced artist but also craft a story of how and why I will contribute to the arts scene in Taipei.

My reference/recommendation letters were all written specifically for the Gold Card. Two came from recognized and respected leaders in their field in the US whom I had worked with closely many years ago, and two came from not so well-known Taipei locals who vouched for me. And to be honest, that was more or less the entirety of my application. I also had a cover letter which further cemented that story of why I want to be in Taiwan.

And while I think the letters written for me were really awesome (and far more glowing than I deserve lol), it’s entirely possible I was accepted solely based on the fact that one of those letters was written by someone who the MOC very likely recognizes and respects greatly. I had asked him if he knew anyone at the MOC and he said that he did not have any connections there, but it’s still very likely that someone there knows who he is. And that may have been all it took. I dunno? If that’s what it took then sorry it may not be replicable.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!

First time posting on the forum, even if I’ve been lurking around for quite some time :grin: I have to say this thread has helped me so much with the whole process and just today I received the notice to submit my passport for inspection at local TECO. Thought I’d share my own experience in case it can help someone.

I work for an International Organization so I was 99% sure I would end up in NDC Special case review, but as I understand you have to go through the normal procedure first before they decide to put you in Special cases. So I applied through the Economy category.

Applied on 04/29, NIA immediately sent me a message for me to change some details in the form.
05/02 - Review by the Workforce Development Agency
05/20 - Consulting with Ministry of Economic Affairs
05/26 - Back to Workforce Development Agency
05/31 - Request to change to Special Case Review
06/01 - Consulting with National Development Council
07/18 - Back to Workforce Development Agency
07/20 - Notice to submit passport for inspection

So the normal process took exactly 1 month and the Special case review took approximately 7 weeks.
I honestly didn’t know if they’d grant me a Gold Card since the criteria for the International Organization subcategory stated that you have to hold an “important position” in said organization and I didn’t know if they’d consider my occupation (translator) “important” enough. But it looks like they do :smile: I assume they chose such vague wording precisely to leave some room for interpretation.

As per the documents, in addition to the ones required I wrote a cover letter where I explained the documents attached and my background in more detail, and gave a recommendation letter from my boss.

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Hello Bro’s & sis’s! Please clarify me in which past 3 months am going knocking different doors.

Under all category they have “Document proving The employment contract of intended future employment in the ROC”? -
1.What actual documents matches this need?
2. Does an appointment letter is sufficient?
3. The GC office mentioned single or multiple future employment contracts in Taiwan are fine? Is that correct ?
4. Does appointment letters from three different organizations for full-time employment in Taiwan (each 60,000NTD) is acceptable?
5. Does one appointment letter for a full-time job (NTD60,000) and three consultant jobs in Taiwan (Each NTD40,000) acceptable?

Confused about following letters

• Reference Letter
  • Experience Letter
  • Recommendation Letter

According to my understanding,

Reference Letter : This letter is issued by the company where you worked after the completion of the employment. It defines employment duration, full name, jobs performed. This is same as Experience Letter.

This Letter (Experience / Reference) should be stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs where it is issued to be accepted outside of the country.

Recommendation Letter: This is something you will have to request from your boss, professor, customer etc to show that you have good character and your work added value working with them.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am preparing documents for the GC application.
I am Software Engineer so I am targeting Science & Technology category.
I am employed in a Software Company at a Senior position, but my salary is less than required by GC. So my full focus is to present my case in the most convincing way.

Looking for advises especially from Software Engineers who have successfully got GC.

I will be grateful if anyone would like to guide me and have a meeting. This will save my time and energy, and I will be able to present my case better.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hello Irish,

I need some guidance regarding Gold Card submission. I am Software Engineer and I think you will be the best person to discuss about the docs and related stuff. I will be grateful if you can give me some time for meeting.

1 Like

Update. Got rejected after Special Review.

I had 9x minimum income and applied under Economy. However, my experience didn’t fit into that category so it was sent to Special Review. This seems to have been the sticking point. Income alone will not ensure success. You need to fit into one of the categories.

Despite the outcome, the overall experience was awesome. The Gold Card Office really are advocates for you and your application mine just didn’t fit.

This site has been an invaluable resource for Gold Card information. Best of luck to all!

Timeline:

Applied: January 22
Rejected: July 22

4 Likes

Six months is a long time to wait for a rejection. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you. Do you have any alternate course of action?

1 Like

thats fucking depressing.

2 Likes