The Frying Scotsman Chat Thread (Part 1)

on behalf of the kiwis in taipei…is there any chance we could have some paua fritters?? i would personally pay a huge premium to have this delicacy available in taipei…for those not in the know the paua fritter looks like battered shoe leather and has a unique shoe-leatherish taste when fried. plus its purple so looks gross too…

Dunc,

I know that you may have made an oblique reference to it but as someone who has come across this question before as, I am sure, have eminences such as Taverncaptain etc., I do feel that I have to ask for the benefit of those who may wish you to adjust your business model, but what vegetarian dishes will you be offering?

:smiling_imp:

Anyway, mate, all the best with the opening.

Bob

[quote=“TpeBob”]Dunc,

I know that you may have made an oblique reference to it but as someone who has come across this question before as, I am sure, have eminences such as Taverncaptain etc., I do feel that I have to ask for the benefit of those who may wish you to adjust your business model, but what vegetarian dishes will you be offering?

Bob[/quote]

chips is veggie innit?

chips with chips…you want veggie bring your own carrots…

oh and fish is veggie too according to the locals… :wink:

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“TpeBob”]Dunc,

Bob[/quote]

chips is veggie innit?

oh and fish is veggie too according to the locals… :wink:[/quote]

Absolutely correct on all points…I am now sure that the legions of vegetarians will now be satisfied.

Mine’s a lettuce. Better make it a double.

I have the fullest confidence that The Frying Scotsman will deliver the goods in a uniquely Glaswegian way.

Best,

Bob

[quote=“TpeBob”][quote=“the bear”][quote=“TpeBob”]Dunc,

Bob[/quote]

chips is veggie innit?

oh and fish is veggie too according to the locals… :wink:[/quote]

Absolutely correct on all points…I am now sure that the legions of vegetarians will now be satisfied.

Mine’s a lettuce. Better make it a double.

I have the fullest confidence that The Frying Scotsman will deliver the goods in a uniquely Glaswegian way.

Best,

Bob[/quote]
One word: Chips fried in beef dripping. (drool emoticon).
And it will be uniquely Glaswegian, seeing as the boss comes from a place a bit more civilized than that. :wink:

Will you have boiled rice so the locals can order YuPai Fan ?

Sort of tongue in cheek, but when I used to frequent MrFish… he would get asked that all the time, and he finally added it to the menu :noway:

I just want scrapings. Fish ‘n’ chips from the chippie just isn’t the same without scrapings (or ‘scraps’ as they are elsewhere known up north).

Bob

Will the Frying Scotsman feature Irn-Bru???

[quote=“TpeBob”]I just want scrapings. Fish ‘n’ chips from the chippie just isn’t the same without scrapings (or ‘scraps’ as they are elsewhere known up north).

Bob[/quote] Are they the bits of chip that have been refried 20 times? If so…YUM! Clogged arteries here I come :thumbsup:

[quote=“fryingscotsman”]Update:
I am finally pleased to announce that at 4am this morning we were able to sort out the issues we have been having with the fryer, UK equipment and Taiwan services!
Whicjh means that I will be open this week for sure, I plan to open around Wednesday 14th, with 'Official Opening slated for Saturday 18th.
It is hoped that your patience will be justified although I am still having problems with covering lightbulbs in batter, as this makes the batter too light!

Looking forward to it myself, so hope you are

feel free to drop in for a slagging if you are passing[/quote]

Any updates? Today is Wednesday 14th.

A haggis suppa is jist wit ah need fer ma hangover… Oh an’ a picked egg and a good dod a HP :wink:

Today???

[quote=“pjdrib”][quote=“TpeBob”]I just want scrapings. Fish ‘n’ chips from the chippie just isn’t the same without scrapings (or ‘scraps’ as they are elsewhere known up north).

Bob[/quote] Are they the bits of chip that have been refried 20 times? If so…YUM! Clogged arteries here I come :thumbsup:[/quote]

They are the bits of batter than don’t cling to the fish and are scooped out of the fryer more than liberally coated in oil. They were the foundation of my current body shape. I used to ask the local chippy if I could have some* when I was at school so I could pocket my dinner money and buy ciggies. I wasn’t very good at sports.

Bob

*Scrapings were always free.

[quote=“TpeBob”][quote=“pjdrib”][quote=“TpeBob”]I just want scrapings. Fish ‘n’ chips from the chippie just isn’t the same without scrapings (or ‘scraps’ as they are elsewhere known up north).

Bob[/quote] Are they the bits of chip that have been refried 20 times? If so…YUM! Clogged arteries here I come :thumbsup:[/quote]

They are the bits of batter than don’t cling to the fish and are scooped out of the fryer more than liberally coated in oil. They were the foundation of my current body shape. I used to ask the local chippy if I could have some* when I was at school so I could pocket my dinner money and buy ciggies. I wasn’t very good at sports.

Bob

*Scrapings were always free.[/quote]

so by a process of logical deduction children what can we learn from uncle bob. if you:

1. eat only scrapings from the chippy
  2. reinvest savings into cigarette consumption
  3. don’t play sports
  4. (i’m thinking there is an x factor missing here, could be beer…)

you too can become the manager of a fabulously successful bar/nightclub/restaurant, have a stunning figure, and have girls hanging off you on a nightly basis…

god why didn’t i think of it sooner and when’s the book coming out?

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“TpeBob”][quote=“pjdrib”][quote=“TpeBob”]I just want scrapings. Fish ‘n’ chips from the chippie just isn’t the same without scrapings (or ‘scraps’ as they are elsewhere known up north).

Bob

*Scrapings were always free.[/quote]

so by a process of logical deduction children what can we learn from uncle bob. if you:

1. eat only scrapings from the chippy
  2. reinvest savings into cigarette consumption
  3. don’t play sports
  4. (I’m thinking there is an x factor missing here, could be beer…)

you too can become the manager of a fabulously successful bar/nightclub/restaurant, have a stunning figure, and have girls hanging off you on a nightly basis…

god why didn’t I think of it sooner and when’s the book coming out?[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :bravo: :bravo:

Yeah, something like that.

:laughing:

Bob

Stopped by at lunchtime having heard they were opening today. They were still setting the place up and told me their “soft opening” is 7:00 tonight.

[quote=“TpeBob”]They are the bits of batter than don’t cling to the fish and are scooped out of the fryer more than liberally coated in oil. They were the foundation of my current body shape. I used to ask the local chippy if I could have some* when I was at school so I could pocket my dinner money and buy ciggies. I wasn’t very good at sports.
Bob
*Scrapings were always free.[/quote]TpeBob -
Good Lord Man…I nearly lost my glass when I read this!
I had an old and dear friend tell me this exact same story on several occassions…
Thanks for bringing a dear friend to mind.
Good for you! Scarpings make the meal!..lol :bravo:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“TpeBob”]They are the bits of batter than don’t cling to the fish and are scooped out of the fryer more than liberally coated in oil. They were the foundation of my current body shape. I used to ask the local chippy if I could have some* when I was at school so I could pocket my dinner money and buy ciggies. I wasn’t very good at sports.
Bob
*Scrapings were always free.[/quote]TpeBob -
Good Lord Man…I nearly lost my glass when I read this!
I had an old and dear friend tell me this exact same story on several occassions…
Thanks for bringing a dear friend to mind.
Good for you! Scarpings make the meal!..lol :bravo:[/quote]

That you have heard the same thing from another only proves to the unknowing that in Britain there is a rich culinary culture and spirit of entrepreneurship and up until the Ashes win, sporting mediocrity. I hope that the anecdote serves to widen the understanding of us Brits and our food, tobacco and sporting heritage.

You may pick up your glass now.

Oh, and scrapings didn’t make the meal, ‘scrapings’ was the meal.

Best Regards,

Bob

Bob

So who’s going?

I’ll be heading out there probably 7-7:30ish.

Why isn’t there a restaurant called “The Frying Kamikaze”?