The Hiking Thread 2010

[quote=“kage”]That makes 5, so no Xien Tsao, unless people want to hold her on their laps.

Kate
Chris
Kitty
zyzzx
Kage[/quote]

Wow, we are all K-sound names (I’m one as well)…
Anyway, see ya’ll tomorrow, looking forward to meeting you, Kate, Kitty, and Kage

Oh, and, I’ve no problem riding with Xien Tsao, if you decide to bring her along.

[quote=“Garrison”][quote=“Chris”]

Once you climb Pipa Dong and Motian Waterfalls, you’re about an hour’s walk from the town of Shifen, where you can either catch a bus to Taipei, or catch a train to Jingtong and then catch a bus to Taipei.

But in any case, if you want to get back to Ximending by 4pm, I’d suggest you depart as early as you can, and make sure you keep an eye on your time.[/quote]

But it seems from Pipa Dong onwards, the way is not so straight forward, some turns and forks. Which is why I thought of turning back to Sandiaoling. From what I read in Lonely Planet Guide, it’s an hour to the third fall.

BTW is bus from Sifen or Jintong faster than taking train all the way back to Taipei?[/quote]
If you’re going without a guide, it might be easier to just go back the way you came.

The bus takes about 40 minutes to get to the MRT station, if I recall correctly. The problem is waiting for it: it comes about once every 45 minutes.

[quote=“Chris”]
If you’re going without a guide, it might be easier to just go back the way you came.

The bus takes about 40 minutes to get to the MRT station, if I recall correctly. The problem is waiting for it: it comes about once every 45 minutes.[/quote]

can give more details of the trek? Total time from Sandiaoling to Sifen, from Sandiaoling to pipa dong?

BTW I realised my mistake. I’m doing the trek on 22nd morn, not 27th.

Also like to ask, is it necessary to cross the river after Hegu falls? Any problems with doing the trek in winter?

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Garrison”][quote=“Chris”]27th is a work day, so I can’t.

Once you get to Pipa Dong cave, you may as well continue walking to Shifen Waterfall, as it would take a lot more time to walk back to Sandiaoling and take the train to Shifen.

Don’t know if Shifen Waterfall is open to the public yet… the county government is supposed to be taking charge of it and opening it to tourism for free. It used to be privately owned and tourists were charged a whopping fee to see it.[/quote]

Really? I read that the first 3 falls are within a couple of hours trek? I have to be back to my hotel in Ximending area by maybe 4pm, so I can only do a 1/2 day hike. Is it possible to walk to Sifen by say 2pm?[/quote]

Once you climb Pipa Dong and Motian Waterfalls, you’re about an hour’s walk from the town of Shifen, where you can either catch a bus to Taipei, or catch a train to Jingtong and then catch a bus to Taipei.

But in any case, if you want to get back to Ximending by 4pm, I’d suggest you depart as early as you can, and make sure you keep an eye on your time.[/quote]

An hour? No way, Chris. In fact if you read my blog onthis I even say that I thought it was only an hour but it is several. Remember, we have to walk to barbarian valley, up and down that long set of slippery stairs and then walk the tracks and then the road into Shifen. It takes a while.

BTW any news on whether Sifan waterfall is open to public?

It’s not. I read in someone’s blog though he hopped the fence to look at it.

Thank the Ks for your great company today. I was happy to explore the new trail and to have great food in a new restaurant with you guys.

The trail to Zhonglinshan(中嶺山) is very nice, which is muddy and covered with fallen leaves. I love this kind of soft trail. I read that there is a complicated trail network in this region. I hope we can explore the region more. I am sorry that we got lost 6 times, I will do more research next time we explore new trails.

Here are some pictures I took during our outing.

A trail head is hidden behind the temple.

I love the jungle!

It’s too bad we didn’t get clear view of Feicui reservoir from the top because of the mist.

We explored an old mud-brick on our way back home.

After the hike, we went to a new restaurant near Garden City in Xindian.

I like their decor and the way they keep a very tall tree within the house.

I felt in love with the restaurant after I had their super good Empanadas.
(I am not a person who cares English names of dishes I have, but it’s soo…good that I memorized its name immediately)

I definitely will go to the place again after my hikes somewhere in Wulai.

Much of the problem came from inaccuracies on the map, so no need to apologize.

[quote=“kate.lin”]
I felt in love with the restaurant after I had their super good Empanadas.[/quote]
Yum yum!! :lick:

Great hike and meal!!

[quote=“kate.lin”]

I definitely will go to the place again after my hikes somewhere in Wulai.[/quote]

Oooh the food looks good…

just to bump this thread. The weather forecast looks decent. Fingers crossed. Teggs and I are doing Yamingshan. Up, over, and down. A hike/run. Anyone is welcome to join us, and it’ll be a set your own pace type hike. Our aim is to go as fast as we can handle. You don’t need to run/hike fast, do it at your own speed, or start before us and we’ll meet you along the way…

Here’s a link to the plan for Saturday
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=68559&start=50

estimated time:
up, 90-120 minutes
10 minutes enjoy the view on 7 star
to chintien gang 30 minutes-have to do the other peak as well first
chintiengang to Lane 366, 60-90m
=3 1/2-4 1/2 hours

Glad to see the bump.

I’m up for a hike this Sunday if anyone’s around, but no way could I run hills right now (much less mountains). :there should be a emoticon for falling on your face: Good on you, Kea!

[quote=“Kea”] estimated time:
up, 90-120 minutes
=3 1/2-4 1/2 hours[/quote]
Hmm, haven’t had much running or hiking time in lately, buut… what time are you meeting, and where, (just in case I am done early on Saturday)?

Can’t make it Sunday, it is wedding season. Everyone is in a panic to get hitched before the Tiger pounces. I have two on Sunday. NEXT WEEK FOR SURE!!!

[quote=“Kea”]just to bump this thread. The weather forecast looks decent. Fingers crossed. Teggs and I are doing Yamingshan. Up, over, and down. A hike/run. Anyone is welcome to join us, and it’ll be a set your own pace type hike. Our aim is to go as fast as we can handle. You don’t need to run/hike fast, do it at your own speed, or start before us and we’ll meet you along the way…

Here’s a link to the plan for Saturday
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=68559&start=50

estimated time:
up, 90-120 minutes
=3 1/2-4 1/2 hours[/quote]
Awesome, from start, right to the finish. I’ll post details later on the trail running thread. We spent half the time running. 4 hours 20m, probably do it in 4 hours if we pushed it more, but we were going near max for most of the time.

I am shattered and looking forward to a hot bath. Teggs is not tired enough, going out for a night on the town. :notworthy:

Next weekend weather permitting (i.e-dry) we’ll do Wulai to Sanxia from about 8:30am at Shindian. We’ll run much of it. Welcome to join us.

You guys are fantastic. Am feeling unworthy right now, but one day…

I’d love to hike (run? no way!), but I’m feeling quite under the weather with a cold that’s been going around…

wow i wish i had the mood for hike…so busy with married life, new job, crazy boss, constant shoveling of shit from my dog…phewwww…like kage says ONE DAY! :doh:

well, I put my back out last night, and it was stiff this morning, so I was having second thoughts, but I like getting out there and hiking, and it promised to be a hot day, so I ignored it at the start. A good hike will blow away your cold, as will a hill run.

I fully recommend this route, maybe just as a moderate speed 6-7 hour hike in the Spring, the views are nice and it really gets around Y’shan. I will do that 3 climbs to 7 star again in March, it’s a good workout! I have just posted a quick summary of the hike/run over in the trail running thread…

Report: JiaLou Hu 加羅湖 hike

It was an amazing introduction to overnight camping. Mixed bag of weather (sure does change fast up at the lake). Found it a bit difficult on the way down. The roots run directly down the muddy path in some sections. Very slippery. Also learnt the importance of breathable rain gear. My scooter rain pants = bad idea.

Nobody warned me about the barking deer! Really strange noise. Grabbed the flashlight. Was beaming it into the fog in search of a really big animal in search of a tussle with its prey. (I come from the land of the Big 5)

Almost positive there was a stealth attack on the box of strawberries under the flap of the tent. One again, I thought I was under attack. :smiley:

Definitely hooked on the hiking!

[quote=“GRC22”]Report: JiaLou Hu 加羅湖 hike

It was an amazing introduction to overnight camping. Mixed bag of weather (sure does change fast up at the lake). Found it a bit difficult on the way down. The roots run directly down the muddy path in some sections. Very slippery. Also learnt the importance of breathable rain gear. My scooter rain pants = bad idea.

Nobody warned me about the barking deers! Really strange noise. Grabbed the flashlight. Was beaming it into the fog in search of a really big animal in search of a tussle with its prey. (I come from the land of the Big 5)

Almost positive there was a stealth attack on the box of strawberries under the flap of the tent. One again, I thought I was under attack. :smiley:

Definitely hooked on the hiking![/quote]

Looks like you had fun…brought my rotti out for some “mountian” training at a local small “Si” or little river…had loads of fun. Will take it with me on the next big hike.