The Jordan Peterson Thread

I think he’s just saying he hasn’t done anything of merit to show he can run a country and won solely on his fathers name. Which is pretty accurate. Would he be PM if he wasn’t Trudeau? I highly doubt it. It’s not so much about him hiding who his father is, more like what has he done?

People keep saying he won by playing on Pierre’s name, but my impression is that he didn’t need to encourage people to talk about Pierre instead of him because that’s what they wanted to talk about anyway, so he really just let them do it. And it worked. :whistle:

Over the last four years though, he’s given people plenty of Justinisms to talk about, so his father’s ghost will neither help nor haunt him much going forward.

I’d love to hear JP’s take on the Trump children. :popcorn:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard him talk about them. But he’s said plenty on trump both positives and negatives or just general neutral opinions he observe.

But I have to agree, Trudeau is a idiot. I’ve been listening to him speak in Q and As. And it’s not good. Hopefully 2019, Canada will vote in a different parliament to elect a better PM. I don’t think JT has really done too well.

No comment on that from me. :zipper_mouth_face:

I was just thinking though… you know Lance Stroll? I might be wrong, but I really doubt he ever asks the media to remind us (incessantly) that he’s a billionaire’s son. It’s just a thing people do.

On the other end of the scale, Max Mosley said he wanted to run for office as a Conservative, but they told him it just wasn’t feasible, because of his name.

Didn’t lance get 2nd place in a formula 1 race as a teenager? I mean money can buy you a nice team and car. But you still have to win the race with the best drivers in the world so.

Being pretty corrupt , according to some , and cavorting around with whips and hookers with pics to show , possibly contributed to that opinion,making him one of the most disliked characters in the sport. His name was irrelevant…as he certainly could not benefit from it ( other than some extremists perhaps) . I agree with JP on Trudeau in most areas…Trudeau appears to be utterly useless to me , in all areas .

Iirc it was long before his other-kind-of-party scandal that the Party told him he would never escape his father’s ghost.

That doesn’t exclude the possibility that they said it as an excuse because they were too polite to tell him what they really thought of him, but even if he’d lived in a saintly way he would have been weighed down by the name.

I once asked someone who also had a problematic name and also wanted to run for office, why not just change it? Answer: because if you do that, people will find out anyway, and they’ll see you as someone who tries to sweep things under the carpet.

105 posts were split to a new topic: Postmodernism

Whitcoulls is a private company, so imo they’re free to make any biz decision they see fit.

Also, I think it’s important to note that New Zealand has suffered severe trauma at the hands of the Christchurch shooter. NZ is going to overreact, or it may be more accurate to state that overreaction would be completely normal given this level of trauma.

So all that said, this is not surprising. The postmodern left is tilting at windmills. They realize that most Western nations, including New Zealand, have laws in place to protect racial and religious minorities, including Muslims.

What’s making them rabidly authoritarian is that social attitudes lag the law. Despite new laws there are still free thinking people who disagree. That’s not surprising since in all cases (same-sex marriage, to name only one example) Western civilization and the church shaped culture to believe that marriage can be only between a man and a woman, or that Christianity is the only acceptable religion - shapings that took place over millennia. Christianity has tousled with Islam since the inception of the latter.

The net result is that the more the global left push to change attitudes quickly (in most of the West they have the law on their side already), the more they encounter these tectonic plates forged over millennia. And it drives the postmodern, progressive left batshit insane that people refuse to abandon their ways. Hence Whitcoulls reacts by banning JP’s book while still selling Mein Kampf in New Zealand.

I have no idea how New Zealand’s culture slotted into postmodern, progressive politics prior to Christchurch, but it looks like they’ve decided to join front and center for now.

1 Like
1 Like

Et tu Cambridge?

This may not be a popular opinion - maybe it just means I’m getting old - but Peterson is dead on the mark here:

You see, it matters whether people around the world understand these ancient [Bible] stories. It deeply matters. We are becoming unmoored, because we no longer share the structure these stories undergird. This is psychologically destabilizing. It’s producing a pathological and desperate nihilism that is increasingly common and, at the same time, a pronounced proclivity for the ideological certainty that mimics but cannot replace true religious belief. Both consequences are bound to be, as the evidence certainly indicates, divisive and truly dangerous.

1 Like

That’s where he really goes off the rails IMO, lol.

1 Like

I think it’s where he hugs the rails. He’s 100% correct imo.

Well, if our forefathers decided to ground our essential nature in a bunch of bullshit stories, I guess we’re in trouble then.

Good friend of mine is Mormon. One reason he’s so easy to get along with is that he doesn’t do casual evangelical. His friends know where he stands and acquaintances are free to take it or leave it. I think he, too, hugs the rails.

That’s all good. I think those of us who don’t are fine as well though.

I agree, I get why some people like to be part of a religion. Great! Personally I have no interest in listening to Petersons views on religion.

Seems the progressive left have had enough of him and are trying to shut him down. A quick look at headlines related to him include “Alt-right”, denies white privilege exists, I guess they already have him as trans phobic, won’t be long before they label him as a white supremacist inciting hateful racist rhetoric.

Just seems to be the play book for the progressive left, they have been trying to get rid of Tucker Carlson for ages, I think they have him labeled as a white supremacist, looks like they got Jeanine Pirro suspended, Roseanne Barr kicked off her show, Bill O’reily sacked.

Expect the attacks on him to increase, become more virulent and dishonest especially now they got a taste of success which they will point to as justification for further shutting him down.

such horseshit tho, such theocratic horseshit.

the world has never been safer or more prosperous, but yet we have ‘thinkers’ telling us we need to get back to our religious roots.

what is the scoreboard looking like for the religious set and total deaths following their load of crap.

Pedophiles 1 Billion - Woman Beaters 999 Million\

Who will win the religious super bowl?

NZ went completely insane.

2 Likes