The McDonald's at Minsheng/Dunhua STINKS

White gravy for biscuits’n gravy is dead easy to make. Version I like to make (there are different ideas):

Crumble up and fry pork sausage (goat is HEB private label Mesquite sausage in a roll), set aside (don’t drain the pan, leave the grease in).

Add 2Tbs of good butter, turn heat up to Very High until oil and leftover pork bits stop bubbling.

Add a cup of seasoned white flour (with a bit of crumbled rosemary, crumbled thyme, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne), turn heat up to High, whisk constantly until flour is browned and smells nutty - about 3 minutes.

Slowly whisk in 1.5L chicken stock until mixture thickens. Add 1 cup whole milk, whisk until mixture simmers again and turns satiny.

Add back crumbled pork, stir for a couple minutes until it’s all hot.

Ladle over broken fresh biscuits.

Great, now I’m starving. :yum:

3 Likes

Too right! There’s better food in my neighborhood. But not within a 5 minute walk. I’d rather have a sausage egg McMuffin for breakfast than some greasy Dan bing stuffed with pork floss.

Ouch.

2 Likes

taiwan brekfast >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mac d brekfast.

mac donalds is like that in every country so tell your smart arse friend to do one.

Not that I can talk. I may be living there or near there next year.

Seriously though, McDonald’s is fine for what it is. I still think their breakfast is the best. What I don’t get is people who say Taiwanese food is “bad”/unhealthy and that McDonald’s is the more civilized option. Taiwan is full of good food.

the OG english version of biscuits and gravy.

What time is dinner? Us Forumosans need time to plan. :slight_smile:
My best friend’s family used to eat SOS. Shit on a shingle which is basically sausage gravy made with beef eaten on toast.
滷肉飯 is basically a version of meat sauce gravy.
Every culture has their survival food or as my Dad says hunker down food.

So true, annoying when I hear locals talk about these foods as though they were the only culture who historically didn’t have enough food to go around.

1 Like

What I’ll say about Kaohsiung is it’s less competitive than Taipei, so it’s easier to find the kind of job you want. It also has some good areas like Pier 2, Central Park and Zuoying, we just have way less of those kind of nice areas than Taipei. :man_shrugging:

Depends on the Taiwanese food. Some of the breakfast chains are pretty dire.

I find that avoiding any breakfast place with 美 in the name usually works. This said, I’m OK with 美之城. I’ll be in Kao in a few weeks. Hopefully I can try that Arkansas place then.

1 Like

english version of hunker down food. culturally celebrated!

2 Likes

I never noticed any difference in taste though I thought the heavy presence of security personnel at night was pretty laughable.

my gf was very disappointed that there was no fried chicken. and the chicken she ordered (strips?) was dry and shitty. i don’t think she even finished it.

Good stuff.

i prefer the pasta variety.

rustic.

Oh nooo!! Mr. Bill!
I can’t believe I ate that substitute for food as a kid.

24479MB

1 Like

On average I’d say yes…BUT…

I recently had a job to do very early in the morning in Taichung in an area I’m not familiar with and didn’t know what to have for breakfast. There was a McD in sight so I decided to solve my breakfast problem by going there. I had the muffin with fried chicken, hash brown and milk tea. I thought the muffin was pretty nice, soft outside and with crunchy fried chicken inside. Hash brown are…ok, i mean they’re the same everywhere. But the milk tea was surprising in a positive way to me, because even though it was too sweet for my taste, it actually tasted like milk tea. In many traditional Taiwanese breakfast restaurants, the drinks often taste like water with a slight scent of tea.

Tea at breakfast stand is meme tea.

1 Like

I swear we have another McDonald’s thread pop up every couple months or so. Maybe we should just have a megathread for McDonald’s.

You mean like a really BIG Mac thread ? :thinking::wink:

4 Likes