The Morgue 2022

5 Likes

Frances Noah, Trevor Noah’s amazing grandmother in South Africa, has reportedly passed away. She was 96, and she lives on, immortalized in some of Trevor’s best work.

Guy

1 Like

UAE ruler Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan dies aged 73

1 Like

Great character actor. R.I.P…

4 Likes

Southern Comfort. Saw that on VHS back in the years. Great cast.

1 Like

Robert Vlasic Relied on Jokes to Sell Pickles at Family Firm

Detroit-born executive, who died on May 8th at age 96, took humor seriously as a marketing tool and later served as chairman of Campbell Soup

The Wall Street Journal - May 18, 2022

Vlasic Pickles - "Now That's The Best Tastin' Pickle I Ever 'Hoid!" (1982) - YouTube

The Untold Truth Of Vlasic Pickles - YouTube

3 Likes

excellent pickles

1 Like

We have lost Ray Liotta.

RIP Good fella.

5 Likes

RIP

2 Likes

Big smoker.

1 Like

Damn

1 Like

WTF, that’s so young. :sob:

1 Like

Never fulfilled his potential- thought he was going to be a big star after Goodfellas. Worked steadily, was in a lot, but never made the big breakthrough.

1 Like

Always enjoyed his acting, sad there’ll be no more. RIP Ray.

1 Like

Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode has died. I wasn’t a fan of their music, mostly because my sister played it non stop every day. But they did something right to many a people.

Spectrum News 1: Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode has died.

2 Likes

Really need to watch this one again in tribute.

4 Likes

I think a repost can be justified under these circumstances.

1 Like

Here’s one to remember.

During some of the bad old days after 1945, Indigenous peoples in Taiwan were officially referred to as “mountain compatriots” (山胞) by the ROC state that had taken over the island and their lands.

In 1994, in the heady initial days of democracy, a Paiwan doctor named Gui Giling (then serving as an elected official) demanded that the National Assembly revote to remove this offensive term from the constitution and to name Indigenous peoples in Taiwan with the now-familiar term yuanzhumin (原住民).

This Paiwan elder passed away on May 17 at the age of 73. He was one of the many people who have been meticulously listed by @MalcolmReynolds in his daily lists of fatalities in the COVID specific developments thread.

Dr Gui posthumously received a national award for his advocacy and vision.

Source: Advocate for indigenous rights, Gui, remembered - Taipei Times

Guy

7 Likes

When I first came here in 1990 ‘Shan di ren’ was widely used, even among aborigines themselves. Nice to see Dr. Gui got some recognition.

3 Likes

Great characters he played. Also White Lightning.

What a personal life he led, too: Bo Hopkins - Wikipedia

2 Likes