The Post-Pelosi Chinese Aggression Thread

You get my point.

I don’t remember, but I looked so busted up in the mirror I considered changing my name to “papertowel” for a while.

1 Like

Just remember. Turnout for Hong Kong’s 2021 election was 30%

There’s a lot of quiet grumbling…

Im glad you salvaged enough self respect not to stoop so low

2 Likes

Basically China is trying to play by 1895 rules.

The rest of the world has moved on (except Russia) and in denial of the Chinese view.

1 Like

Our delegation came here to send an unequivocal message. America stands with Taiwan.
– Nancy Pelosi, U.S. Congresswoman to Taiwanese people, August 2022

To all those suffering under communist slavery, let us say you can count on us.
– John Foster Dulles, US Secretary of State to Hungarian people, 1956

The Eisenhower administration created a system in which two distinct, and at times contradictory foreign policy messages were broadcast to the people of Hungary, one that supported a general idea of rolling back Communism and another that seemed to promise specific help doing just that. This pairing had the effect of instilling in the Hungarian people a belief that the United States would come to their aid when they revolted against their Communist government in October 1956. The events of the Hungarian Revolution illustrate this tragic miscommunication that had become a hallmark of United States foreign policy during President Eisenhower’s first term, as the rebels felt betrayed by the lack of American support.
– https://scholars.unh.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2390&context=thesis

Will US history repeat itself. Two contradictory foreign policy messages and an ultimately false promise of US military intervention if China invades Taiwan?

1 Like

Speaking at a rally in Wisconsin, former US President Donald Trump has questioned why Nancy Pelosi visited Taiwan.

He told supporters: ““What was she doing in Taiwan? She was China’s dream, she gave them an excuse. They’ve been looking for that excuse.”

Spineless worm

I don’t really see that. Even Biden said he will defend Taiwan if necessary.

I believe Vietnam just recently signed an agreement with China to let the Chinese “borrow” portion of their land for 100 years.

Weakened China is best case scenario for indo-pacific region and the US.

Trump will do whatever it takes to smear his enemy, LOL! Not going to lie…the man is funny as hell.

What’s the pave paw station?

and WW2. the UN, it seems to not he working…:wink:

Yeah, i got the easy reference, i was playing along

1 Like

Which Joe Biden are we talking about?

Words matter, in diplomacy and in law.

Last week President Bush was asked if the United States had an obligation to defend Taiwan if it was attacked by China. He replied, “Yes, we do, and the Chinese must understand that. Yes, I would.”

The interviewer asked, “With the full force of the American military?”

President Bush replied, “Whatever it took” to help Taiwan defend itself.

A few hours later, the president appeared to back off this startling new commitment, stressing that he would continue to abide by the “one China” policy followed by each of the past five administrations. . . .

What is the appropriate role for the United States? The president’s national security adviser last Wednesday claimed that “the Taiwan Relations Act makes very clear that the U.S. has an obligation that Taiwan’s peaceful way of life is not upset by force.”

No. Not exactly. The United States has not been obligated to defend Taiwan since we abrogated the 1954 Mutual Defense Treaty signed by President Eisenhower and ratified by the Senate. . . .

As a matter of law, obligations and policies are also worlds apart. The president has broad policymaking authority in the realm of foreign policy, but his powers as commander in chief are not absolute. Under the Constitution, as well as the provisions of the Taiwan Relations Act, the commitment of U.S. forces to the defense of Taiwan is a matter the president should bring to the American people and Congress.

I was quick to praise the president’s deft handling of the dispute with China over the fate of the downed U.S. surveillance aircraft.

But in this case, his inattention to detail has damaged U.S. credibility with our allies and sown confusion throughout the Pacific Rim."
– Joe Biden, 2001

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/2001/05/02/not-so-deft-on-taiwan/2adf3075-ee98-4e70-9be0-5459ce1edd5d/

https://archive.ph/Bxi0r

Archived version

Latest US TW relations bills and etc. in congress. This bill would have had bi-partisan support in Senate & House but now stalled due to Pelosi’s visit. With democrats controlling both house & senate, this seems about right. The typical Democrat “we tried but just can’t get there fast enough without more votes…we need your votes in November to pass anything.”

US Senate’s Taiwan policy act stalled due to Pelosi’s visit as tension rises between US China & TW.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4615897

1 Like
6 Likes

Passing this would have been infinitely more beneficial to Taiwan’s interests than Pelosi visiting… and it’s a less visible thing for the news to report on so China wouldn’t have been able to make as big a fuss about it.

3 Likes

On top of that, if becomes law, it’ll guaranteed US help. Sigh…

Now hear this, I am not 100% sure (source below, which TW does not qualify under), but if China invades Taiwan, the president of the USA can not unilaterally send troops without consulting Congress. Congress, then have to vote to approve. The question comes down to how long can TW hold off the Chinese until the declaration of war. Obviously all this goes out the window depends on how the USA interprets the “one china” policy. As far as my understanding of it. Can someone help?

Taiwan will need help from the Japanese, Australians, or New Zealander.

It provides that the president can send the U.S. Armed Forces into action abroad only by declaration of war by Congress, “statutory authorization”, or in case of “a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces”.

War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia.

1 Like

Overthinking.

Look, all you need to know is US, QUAD, AUKUS, and even NATO are standing by Taiwan, and that any invasion of Taiwan would be met with a biblical response.