The Taiwan Weather Thread 2020

I lived in Redondo Beach. Winters there were pretty gloomy.

Saw on the news that the ongoing rains have helped replenish the Feitsui reservoir. Its capacity has reached more than 60% from 40% a few weeks ago. It’s all about getting the water in the catchment area, which is in the mountains where it gets heavier rains.

1 Like

What is this light coming from the sky?

Guy

3 Likes

Trudat. For every ying, there’s a yang.

At this rate, it may be over capacity though…

Kinda like four seasons in one day out there.

1 Like

Just had to get the Crowded House reference in there. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

This from yesterday? Day before that or like…every day since October 5.

Guess I’m going to have to stay inside and just eat everything in the house… again.

Refreshing this ain’t. It’s hardly even cold. Just rainy and gray and extremely humid.

1 Like

Two sunny days up North since I’ve been here.

Kinda blows. :rage:

Anyone have data on how we’re doing for hours of sunlight in the month of October? All I can find is historical averages, which for October is around 125 hours of sunlight for the month - we’ve got to be well below average, right? Maybe there are better stats on the Chinese part of the CWB pages.

I did find this depressing stat: for both Danshui and Taipei, October 2020 has the lowest accumulated rainfall for any month of the year thus far. Of course, we’ve got over a week left, but still, kind of surprising: 21.0mm of rain in Taipei as of the 20th, with the next lowest month 29.6mm back in February. Just stupid no-good weather.

Odd. I imagine this must be because it’s not really rain for the most part. It’s nonstop misty blowaround bullshit.

Yeah. Give me a decent hard rain ffs. The sort that leaves you with bruises.

Maybe a trip to the Northern slopes of Yanmingshan, or over to Yilan would be in order then. Over the past 3 days Daping Township (Wanli, NTC) has had 498.5mm and Hanxi (Datong, Yilan) has had 381.5mm. But yeah, give me 1 day of downpour in a week over this misty drizzle every day.

2 Likes

At the very least I’d like to be able to see drops hitting the ground.

1 Like

Not in Xindian! I spent some time in HCMC, trust me, this is way better.

1 Like

Is Xindian always a little colder than the surrounding area? @Icon has me believing this must be the case.

So I guess this is it. Winter has finally started. I still only have on a light jacket, but warmer pants and a long sleeve dress shirt instead of my normal short sleeves.

1 Like