The Taiwan Weather Thread 2021

Maybe an hour or two to get out and do something before the rain hits.

Last week or so seems to more clear in the morning.

2 Likes

Seems we will have a week of rain too, according to the news.

1 Like

I dunno, I haven’t been following news reports, but most of my weather apps have been saying “non-stop rain for the next week” for at least a week now, but despite the forecast every day it’s the same: morning fine, clouds and rain coming in around mid-day, mostly drying off in time for the evening.

1 Like

This was the case last July / August. We were looking for apartments in Shilin / Beitou, and it seemed to be warm and clear in the morning, rain cats & dogs at lunch, then clear and muggy hot in the afternoon. Day after day. I figured it was just a feature of an island climate

1 Like

. . . in summer (as you surmised)!

Guy

Is Kaohsiung still above sea level? Seems quite a few places down that area have had over 300mm today and over 600mm since 00:00 Saturday morning.

In the old country we have two seasons: rain and more rain. Usually a nice storm after lunch, then clear nights. Tropical weather we call it.

Taiwan seem better prepared for rain like this anyways. I remember Hurricane Harvey dumped like 50+ inches of rain, and anything above 15 inches is already “state of emergency” (15 inches is about 350mm). Houston basically became Venice overnight.

Taiwan gets 1000mm+ rain like every other month in a typhoon year and it has yet to become a “state of emergency”.

On the continued success with weather apps: for the past week most of my weather apps have been saying it’d be raining constantly for the next week. But every day was dry morning, rain moving in midday. Windy, however, consistently did have its forecast right.

Today was the first day Windy predicted as raining all day (joining the other apps in a consensus). Wouldn’t you know it - it’s the first day in a week or so for which Danshui has (so far, as of 4:30pm) had no rain at all.

3 Likes

I always like to look at the accumulation of rain instead of the chance of rain. Which usually means it’s raining somewhere, but not here, or vice versa.

2 Likes

I recently started always looking at the radar but it’s even wrong.

Sometimes it shows green or red heavy rain where I’m at but no rain and the opposite sometimes.

I head out for whatever hoping for the best and prepare for less than the best.

I was lucky 2 of 3 mornings this week.

2 Likes

Yeah, I started paying more attention to this with the Windy app just yesterday. High chance of rain but low accumulation suggests there won’t be much rain anyway.

1 Like

Since I commute via scooter and hate having to put on or take off my jacket/pants mid ride, I also cross reference with CCTV camera app and check if people are wearing their rain gear.

3 Likes

Just stop at the first temple you see and pray to the local God for dry passage.

Better run outside anytime there’s a hint of sunshine.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve noticed recently that green can mean no rain but yellow and red watch out! I usually go up to my roof and check with a look at my weather rock.

Where are we

I like this app, which has probably been shared here before. It has the same map but with a white dot for location. It also gives a prediction of where the rain will go for the next hour.

1 Like

One clear area in North at the moment.

1 Like

Wow. Did not expect to see gorgeous blue skies when I opened the curtains this morning. (Danshui.). Gorgeous out there, but probably quite wet underfoot.

2 Likes