The Taiwan Weather Thread 2021

Taiwan can surprise you like that.

Guy

1 Like

Ah that explains the sunshine.

Same here when I woke up in the morning. Rain had stopped when I got into bed, but had not realized that it would stop for the rest of the day.

It was quite disgusting out yesterday. High temps and what felt like 200% humidity.

Yeah, we went out for a walk, thinking it’d be nice post-typhoon weather with lower humidity. But it most definitely was not. Still, the sunshine was appreciated.

1 Like

Raining a bit, ain’t it?

Said with dripping sarcasm as I drip leaving a trail of water, not droplets, indoors…

1 Like

Usual form for this time of the year?

CWB is having an Each-Way bet, forecast for the next seven days says “Partly Cloudy with Occasional Afternoon Thunderstorms”. Just had one pass by, dumped water for all of 5-10 mins, though didn’t hear the rumbles or sight any flashes.

So, take an Umbra* if you plan to go outside in the afternoon, even if just down the street to a FM or 7-11.

(Umbra is how my partner pronounces Umbrella).

1 Like

Umra—don’t leave home without it! :grin:

Guy

I get out of the office. It is clear and sunny. I take a small umbrella with me.

I run my errands. When I finish, I take the MRT back to the office. Couple of stops only. It is cloudy, not windy.

I get to my station, walk to the exit…there is water drizzling on the escalator, bouncing off the ceiling.

1 Like

Weather forecast in Taiwan consists of looking out the window. Ignore everything else.

It’s either really hard to forecast weather in Taiwan or there’s just all these microclimates in Taiwan. Could be clear as hell with not a hint of rain, according to the weather, then all the sudden it’s raining cats and dogs.

OK, that’s it. I’m moving to Patagonia. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

You know the glaciers are melting, leaving behind mosquito infested marshland?

Like Taiwan, but with cooler weather. :grin:

It’s like an episode of Stormchasers every time I step out of the house these days.

And… Not raining.

1 Like

I wonder what kind of geoengineering can be done to make Taiwan’s weather the same as the UK or Germany?

Like somehow mess around with weather patterns… Mylar mirror in geo orbit to block out the sun, etc.

Upside is, if you don’t like the weather, just wait a few minutes.

2 Likes

That’s the most frustrating part. You’d be facing a wall of water and you tell yourself: it will be gone in a while, I do not have to get wet. But you got to get to work…

Where’s that profuse sweating thread? Took the dog out for 10 minutes. I just stood there in the shade of a tree. I had to hang my wet shirt up after I got back in the house.

3 Likes

Here’s the plan:
we take every boat in the world and moor them, pointing north, from Taichung to Taitung, gunwale-to-gunwale.

Every able bodied person on the island must grow, or cut, their hair into a mullet. This won’t work without killer mullets.

Relocate and refocus the lives and purpose of all Taiwan ren, so they can hop in those boats at the right time.

Next really big earthquake (, and this is where the mullets come in to play) they all just gun it and push the island 27 degrees latitude northward, to the Sea of Okhotsk.

My experience going back and forth a few days a week the last couple weeks.

Fulong and coast weather is much nicer up until early afternoon than Taipei. Many mornings until just after noon are spectacular.

I wonder if it’s the norm.

1 Like