The Taiwan Weather Thread 2021

It rains a hecka lot in Keelung

Jackhammers, dust and clouds, not the most enticing day out in my neck of the woods. Pot of oolong and some jelly beans appears to be the better option, don’t judge me.

I like it, cool and cloudy. I’ll take this all year round!

Looking at the sand storm in Beijing…and hoping winds take it away from us. Air quality is bad enough already.

One talk show host gave an interesting explanation: raising cattle for consumption in China is expanding the deserts in Mongolia. Fascinating.

Looks like it wasn’t as bad as we thought it would be.

Can’t complain too much about these temps though. Hope it lasts.

Lovely. Get your masks folks and stay indoors. Blade Runner 2021 coming our way.

2 Likes

Spring my ass! It’s windy, rainy and COLD! 12.1° low up here on the northern coast.

2 Likes

Someone did not get the memo…

But you could be in Minnesota

Here ice and snow stays in the mountains

Enjoy it while you can! It’ll be screeching hot before you know it.

Guy

1 Like

Actually, I’m ok with it. I live up on the northern coast in 石門區. We have nice winds, low population, low traffic and I live on a farm with trees and fields around and not concrete.

So, the terrible hot summer doesn’t affect me the same as it does for condominium city dwellers.

Bring on the heat!

Be careful what you ask for—you just might get it!

Guy

1 Like

By comparison, its been a ‘little’ wet around Sydney, Australia, and about 500km north of. Lots of rain (no, not to Typhoon standards) over the past few days. The biggest Water supply dam (as well as all the smaller ones) around Sydney have filled and are releasing BIG TIME. The Biggest of them, Warragamba, about 70km SW of Sydney has a capacity of just over 2,000 Gigalitres and is releasing 25% of that per day right now. I think Fetsui has a capacity of 460 Gigalitres - so just imagine all of that coming downstream in one day. Needless to say, there is a lot of flooding.

I vote @MalcolmReynolds for new weather anchor, Taiwan English News.

3 Likes

Current weather reminds me of German summers :grin:

1 Like

I had a Swedish neighbour some years ago who mentioned that summer there lasted about 2 days. I guess that applies to much of Northern Europe.

Cold and rainy weather also makes for difficult driving conditions. Take care.

And flipping around on the temperatures … so last night was the first time of the year I’ve wondered “Huh, maybe I should turn on the a/c.” Not yet - but it was close.

Or I could open the windows and be woken up once an hour by a noisy scooter.

I’ve fired up the dehumidify function on the ac unit as humidity was showing 98% yesterday. Sometimes it’s just much quicker and effective than the dehumidifier.

Nice way to cool the room down, but I turned it off an hour later once I got into bed.

2 Likes

For folks in northern Taiwan: temperatures will start to drop this evening, steadily dropping throughout Sunday all the way down to around 15 degrees early Monday morning in Taipei City. Be warned!

Guy

5 Likes

More like, “Rejoice!”

1 Like