The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

Ugh. This week is certainly living up (down) to its reputation. Looks like the weekend may at least be dry, albeit dark.

On the plus side, I’m not spending much money in restaurants. Due to COVID nervousness, I’d probably have to work a little to persuade my wife to go out - but in this weather? Nah, I’m staying home.

3 Likes

That chart looks . . . relentless.

EDIT: On closer look, I will mark Sunday 17:00 on my calendar as a potential bright spot in this sea of gloom. :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

It has been raining non-stop since New Year’s Day up on the north coast.

It was nice, warm and sunny on the day of New Year’s Eve, but around 22:00 that night the rains started and haven’t stopped.

There is one good thing, however. No one has been lighting off fireworks anywhere near us and it’s been a very peaceful New Year vacation.

6 Likes

I appreciate this glass-half-full approach.

Guy

2 Likes

To anyone with pets, it’s a win win situation.

2 Likes

Ditto.

Due to COVID, one side of the fam decided to halt celebrations as one of my relatives is a nurse at a clinic. Can never be too safe.

This weather though…

3 Likes

. . . sucks donkey balls.

OK, there I said it! :rofl:

Guy

4 Likes

At least we got sunshine over here
But look at our temp swings ?? From 2 to 20 degrees back to 2 thereabouts

Maybe we could trade weather for a week during the LNY we need rain and it would be novel for you guys to get 2 to 20 !!

Outside of a few people who would die of course

The weather has changed!

Back when Tommy was in Taiwan yeah a century ago
It was very often dry , I wouldn’t go so far as to say sunny during the lunar new year days !!

Normally I think Taipei doesn’t live up (down?) to its reputation for dire January & February weather. This year, though - ugh. On Sunday the clouds were whiter, and there were a couple of patches of blue, and I’d hoped we’d emerge into something nicer. Nope, that was just a very short break.

5 Likes

3 Likes

You literally have better weather dropped and floating on a raft somewhere off the east coast of Taiwan.

At this point I’m willing to dry.

In my 20+ years in Taiwan I had very few not rainy and not cold CNY’s, especially the early ones like end of January. I hate it. I always thought of leaving for a holiday during that period, never managed to leave.

1 Like

Barely one day of full Sun since last summer, Its been really crap weather of late. Was supposed to be dry with a peek of sun today, but been drizzle and then light rain from around 09:00 onwards.

2 Likes

This may be a slight exaggeration :sweat_smile:

But it’s a bad winter for sure

3 Likes

There was a glimmer of sun about an hour ago in Taipei city. I knew well enough not to move my workspace over to the window, it was gone a few minutes later.

Maybe that naked dude walking around Xinyi a few years back just wanted some Vitamin D. Can’t say I blame the poor guy on reflection.

2 Likes

I left in 99

Bad as it is i used to envy Taipei weather when I lived in wanli

Because at least Taipei wasn’t raining 24/7 basically from Jan to June

1 Like

Well, yesterday was lovely!

Back to the dreariness today. Tomorrow’s forecast has “improved” in that the heavy rain is supposed to start in the late afternoon, rather than earlier in the day.

4 Likes

Great day for shooting the blossoms. All dripping with rain. Spiderwebs even better.

3 Likes