The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

No need to go too far away. I wanted to ride on Saturday morning because the weather was going to be ok. But it was raining in Hongshulin when I woke up at 6am. Later, I went to the market in Zhuwei and it was completely dry, while in Hongshulin was still raining.

“Hey, today wasn’t bad - let’s see what’s coming next 
 oh FFS!!!”


That does look . . . relentless.

Guy

The brief sunshine this afternoon fooled me. I took my bike out and went for a ride. No more than an hour into it, I began to feel light raindrops tapping my jacket. Within 10 minutes they were pelting. Got home drenched. One upside: I wiped down my bike and it looks like new now.

Déjà vu


:infinity: :runaway: :cloud_with_rain:

Not as much sun today or this week, maybe Friday I hope.

Friday what month?

Below is the current forecast for Danshui. If you look in Taipei itself, windy.com has a brief pause in the rain, I think on Friday.

Huh, that’s actually kind of cold too - what’s going on Sunday afternoon?! - but the constant darkness bothers me far more than the temperatures.


Friday in South haha, the sun likes to hide in the north.

I shouldn’t do this to myself 
 I can’t find any monthly-so-far data for Feb. 2022. But, comparing Januaries for Taipei:

  • 2022: precipitation 122mm, 13 days of rain, 47.1 hours of sunshine.
  • 2021: precipitation 41mm, 10 days of rain, 124.5 hours of sunshine.
  • 2020: precipitation 38.6mm, 10 days of rain, 113 hours of sunshine.
  • 2019: precipitation 45mm, 10 days of rain, 78 hours of sunshine.
  • 2018: precipitation 256mm (!), 13 days of rain, 79 hours of sunshine.
  • 2017: precipitation 22mm, 11 days of rain, 79.2 hours of sunshine.
  • 2016: precipitation 256mm, 20 days of rain (!), 27 hours of sunshine - OK, I’ll stop there, since for January at least that’s significantly worse.

But February’s the month that’s felt really bad so far. I think because of vacation - I’ve had time to go outside, I’ve been eager to go outside, but ugh.

There you go: Daily precipitation

Wow

So, wet, but not unprecedented at all

January 2016 was the year that snowed in Yangmingshan.

The numbers I’ll be curious to see are hours of sunshine, and days with rain. It’s more the absence of sunshine and dry days that are driving me nuts.

It could be worse. You could live in Keelung.

That’s my to-go schadenfreude motto now whenever I see a gloomy day and I start losing motivation and energy. Also, when we have too many rainy days in a row, I just ignore it and go cycling anyway to feel like it is a “normal day”.

I’ve managed to ride 4 days in February after month and a half off the bike and injured. Some wet roads, but not real rain.

My entire apartment is wet. Running the heater to dry things out makes it too hot. Running the A/C will make it too cold. I am legitimately considering running both so that I can have not damp bedding. I blame the dew point now. Plenty of cold, dry, properly winter places have high humidity levels and low dew points and you end up needing to run a humidifier if you don’t want all the moisture sucked from your body. I went out this evening and wanted to both zipper my heavy winter coat and run around to warm my body up while also regretting the decision to have such a giant bulky heat-trapper on my body at all because I was so clammy.

Also, why in Satan’s name does Taiwan not believe in insulating buildings?!

Because it will cut their profits. And because if there is a law, nobody knows about it.

How about running a dehumidifier?

Guy

My dehumidifier makes the room even colder than the AC. I’ve considered getting a stand-alone unit, as those tend to just send out air, but those take up floor space