The Trump era law and order thread

And we know what that leads to.

And remember, they went a long time denying all this stuff was going on. A shift in the narrative is progress.

This current narrative will die, too.

You mean he’d be behind by 20% instead of 10%?

:joy:

No doubt Trump slipping from behind by 10 to behind by 20 precisely explains why Joe Biden is hiding from the press today in Kenosha, Wisconsin, while a perfectly dark, safe basement in Wilmington, DE, beckons.

There is overwhelming data showing that Biden’s lead has remained consistent post conventions. Anyone can cherry pick one poll, but not all polls. Trump still has yet to show a lead in any single poll since Feb/March. This is much more consistent than HRC whose gap narrowed to within 2 pts before the election.

Even the battleground states show Biden up in key states like Florida and Pennsylvania. Trump currently has an easy 115 electoral pts compared to Biden’s 212. That means Trump would have to win over half of the points up for grabs (211). He needs to win major states like Florida and Pennsylvania to win the election. If he loses those states, it’s impossible for him to win.

Sorry to hear about your relatives and the hard time they are having with their business, having to board up the windows, etc.

The point was made somewhere up above in this thread that former politicians like Nixon have done very will with a law and order focus. More than anything, I was responding to that kind of thinking. Historically, Nixon and even Reagan did well with this strategy because they were challengers running against Democratic incumbents Hubert Humphrey and Carter.

This is the other way around now with Trump, and so I don’t believe the strategy will work. And the reason it won’t work is obvious to me. This is Trump’s America is one reason which I mentioned above. Moreover, and to address your comment that the protests, etc. are occuring in “democrat controlled cities,” there are many, many, many, many people who believe firmly that much of the violence we see now is a result of the divisiveness of Trump, which they further believe Trump uses to solidify his base and so has no motivation to address. Indeed he promotes it. Sad.

1 Like

They have to address it because nobody knows where this is going to lead. They are not taking any chances. But I still see the main focus of Biden and the majority of America being on the virus and it’s ramifications. I sure do wish Trump would step away from the golf course and really address this issue. And if he is shooting for herd immunity (and his inaction seems to point to this), I wish that he would just have the balls to come out and say it.

“LAW & ORDER!” (Sad)

Those people are democrats. And yes many of them do believe it. They were voting democrat anyways. This is the current defensive narrative Joe Biden’s campaign is running right now against trump. Which is why I mentioned Biden’s campaign has backed off the virus and went on the defensive. They wouldn’t have done that if hitting the virus was still what people cared about vs the riots.

My point is that many people are moderates and or don’t really care for politics. They’ll look at their local leaders, which are democrats, and wonder why they don’t stop the problem. Why are they defunding the police? Etc.

2 Likes

But you’re right that people may buy into the narrative that it’s Trumps decisiveness causing it. It’s now being pushed. We will see how Trump counters that.

Unfortunately, politics is a game like this as you know. I mentioned that the polls are deeply flawed, and the flaws of 2016 have not been addressed and I think are exponentially larger. That’s why i think it’s more telling to look at what each campaign is doing vs the current polls. There are people getting paid 6-7 figure salaries that figures this stuff out on each campaign compared to us looking at polls.

This is not true. There are fewer and fewer independents/moderates with every election. The demographic that you are dismissing as democrats is a majority of the country. Most people think Trump is making matters worse and contributing to the division. All of the data bears this out. How could you not?

“Trump gets his lowest rating – among six issues and challenges included in the survey – on bringing the country closer together. Only about three-in-ten voters (31%) are very or somewhat confident in Trump to unify the country; 68% are not too or not at all confident. Biden’s ratings are on balance more negative than positive, but he draws much greater confidence than Trump: 45% of voters say they are at least somewhat confident in Biden to bring the country closer, while 55% have little or no confidence in him to do this.”

See that? 68% are not confident he can unify the country that’s more than just democrats.

1 Like

The question isn’t unifying the country. The question is stopping the violence and unrest.

You need to unify the country to do that. Why didn’t Ferguson spread all over the country?

That’s one perspective.

One with historical results. You cannot possibly believe that Trump has no influence on the severity of the violence when armed counter protesters feel empowered and feel like law enforcement needs them. The least he could do is condemn them.

1 Like

If you ask people like my family who are in the middle of these protest/riots/looting/mobs roaming these two things. It’s clear what they would choose.

1. Someone to try to unify the country.

2. Someone to stop all of the unrest right away.

I think the answer would be clear. Unifying the country is pretty open ended. There’s not clear path to it nor is it evident that I can be done. And if it can be; it’s clearly not a 1 day thing.

People would prefer the unrest to stop right away. That means peace and security from law enforcement and a local government that will support them in maintaining law and order. This is the opposite of defund the police, which is now attached to the Biden platform. Biden could back away and denounce such ideas, and I hope he does. But that would mean pissing many of his current supporters off.

See Biden doesn’t support defund the police and you know that. You are intentionally trying to tie it to his platform. And again, there is no indication the violence will stop if Trump is reelected. It has only gotten worse. Voting for Trump won’t magically make all cities Republican nor would that make protesters just go home and shut up.

Throw more law enforcement at it and see what that gets you. You still aren’t addressing the problem and only making people angrier. That sounds like a heavy dose of naivete.

1 Like

Get outta here with your data.

The truth is clear and Americans see it for what it is!

America is falling apart! The Democrat cities are burning to the ground! And the only thing that can restore order is Donald Trump at the head of a column of National Guardsmen!

Who needs leadership and reconciliation when you’ve got guns, force, and brawny shows of authority over the antifa hordes that are destroying America?

Eloquently put. I fully agree. Trump can try this law and order strategy if he likes–it won’t work. Americans see that this is Trump’s America. You reap what you sow.

1 Like

At the end of the day, data is data, and @Malasang88 is bringing forth a lot of data. You cannot really refute his data with an anecdotal story about your family. Anecdotes are fine, but my point is just that your family’s experience is not super relevant as a response to the data Malasang is presenting here.

1 Like

So I guess the people saying defund the police are Trump supporters?

Nope. They are people who would vote for Biden. They are Democratic leaders in these cities. It’s now attached this him and the democrats. Would he go ahead and completely denounce that idea of defund the police, I hope so. But i doubt it.

He’s either a very weak leader if he can’t get some mayors in line or he’s basically allowing it to happen.

Anyways. I feel like we will just talk in circles so that my last reply to you. I just had eye surgery so I need to cut my screen time. I don’t think you are willing to change your position on Biden or Trump. As someone who supported Biden and went against Trump, it’s clear to me that Biden is a shell of himself and that’s why I won’t vote for him again.