This Week’s WTF Story Award Goes to… (2022 edition)

No idea, and neither Floridian nor American, but I can strongly recommend the novels of Carl Hiaasen for fun criminal romps in the Florida sun.

3 Likes

You read his novels and think…yeah…totally fiction. No way these characters could be real, they’re so over the top. Then you read about some of the people and the things they get up to in Florida and think to yourself…wow…Hiaasen really knows his Floridians. Skink is the man.

1 Like

I don’t see this as a WTF story. She was accused of something. It’s not immediately crystal clear what happened. A trial should sort it out.

Oh, and look at that, she confessed.

Was it an insincere plea deal? Maybe. A civil trial will follow.

To put it another way: to say you can’t prove racial profiling unless the suspected profiler is caught uttering a racial slur (especially if she knows she’s being filmed) is a bit like saying you can’t prove a conspiracy unless the suspected conspirators are caught saying “hey guys let’s conspire” (especially if they know they’re being filmed). :2cents:

It depends on your news sources. If you read establishment media (minus Fox), you get a lot of stories out of Florida, Texas, and the old south. If you read new media (plus Fox), you get a lot of stories out of CA, Chicago, DC, and the Pacific Northwest.

Because California is a dystopian hell-hole with leaders who seem to want to destroy your will to live.

5 Likes

Stop beating around the bush, @Mithrandir . Tell us what you really think! :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Don’t you just pick it up naturally?

I guess maybe his hand kept slipping of and bonking himself in the forehead.

3 Likes

Yeah, right?

I read the article. In my opinion, the dad telling the son that masturbation is not harmful and nothing to be ashamed about was enough. I couldn’t imagine going out and buying my 12-year-old different kinds of lube or discussing what to fantasize about. I guess I’m just an old fashioned fuddy duddy.

3 Likes

My introduction back in the Dark Ages (1966) was an embarrassed scout master reading from a 1930s manual with scientific information from the 1890s advising you that you would get some unwholesome urges that you should fight off by eating less fruit, using fewer blankets and sleeping with the window open. I thought it was talking about farting.

4 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

And I couldn’t imagine how the kid feels about his father getting that article published with apparently his real name. But hey, human culture is full of surprises. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Taiwan TV station apologises after mistakenly reporting Chinese attack (yahoo.com)

4 Likes

Last week, Taiwan’s military released a handbook on civil defence for the first time, giving citizens survival guidance in a war scenario.

Where is this handbook?

1 Like

I have the English version. Do you want me to post it?

4 Likes

I posted it here.

Taiwan National Defense Handbook - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

5 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I doubt this woman wants “being rescued from outdoor toilet after fishing for phone” to be her 15 mins of fame story. She probably just wants to flush away this whole regrettable incident.

2 Likes

I can see the biopic title in my head: Out of the Outhouse. :upside_down_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Speaking of sanitation and wtf-ness…

Several drug users told Al Jazeera that sodium polyacrylate or waterlock is found in new and used diapers, as well as stain removers, bleach products and some detergents. It is the absorbent for blood on sanitary pads and urine on diapers and dissolves once boiled.

In street lingo, it is also known as “muto we ma Pampers” meaning “juice of Pampers” in the Shona language and referencing Pampers, a popular brand. Most youths prefer used diapers as, having been discarded, they are cheaper to find or procure.

Mertha Mothema Nyamande, a Harare-based psychotherapist told Al Jazeera that her findings concluded that “it is not particularly the substance in the diaper alone, but the gas released when the urine becomes mixed with atmospheric pressures.

“The mix-up creates the effect sought by drug addicts …the impact of the substance is numbing and more of a psychedelic [feel], and gives an out-of-body experience,” she added. “The cases are isolated, but it is mainly that people are not very open about this method. We see a lot of these guys on the streets. In the streets, it’s very common.

4 Likes

That shit is wack as hell!

1 Like