Tinder Dates in Taipei

Since Taiwan has extended tourist visas I decided be here for a while try to get some action on Tinder.

I’m mid 50’s so I search on the 45 - 58 age group.

Surprisingly get a few matches all seem very nice one a Taiwanese English teacher.
Didn’t know what monosyllabic was :pray:

All I get is Monosyllabic messages back. Eg: yes, great, good, oh.

I’m only one doing the talking! How it is here?

One word answers are common in Taiwan. The onus is on you to drive the conversation.

1 Like

You may have better luck if you learn a little Mandarine.

That might be what you are supposed to do, but when every girl - even the rotters, on a dating app is already getting 1000s of guys trying to have real conversations you need to stand out somehow first. after you got her attention you can try having the real conversations.

Quite a lot of effort to get laid.

1 Like

That’s the easy part. Having a conversation is a different matter. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Screenshots of your bank account will also do, provided there’s enough digits in the balance.

4 Likes

Learn photoshop or your browser’s inspect element feature. :smiley:

2 Likes

My strategy was always to weed out the gold diggers, not attract them.

Yeah. That’s a mistake. Search 18-25.

7 Likes

Older people are probably not getting a lot of action on Tinder Taiwan. Younger people foreigners are getting some still not a lot tinder.

Meeting potential dating partners for foreigners online is a little bit less direct. Most everyone Taiwan does all they’re communicating talking potential chatting and dating in Chinese on Chinese apps and websites or other.

And then a lot of the local people that want to meet foreigners might do it to a language exchange website or a site that has an option for meeting foreigners as a option.

If you just want to have fun then there are lots of opportunities for that online and apps. And hey maybe one of those could be of future love.

How old are you talking? the age bar is kind of a lot higher in asia…

I guess it depends on the definition of action. Action could be just meeting people or finding a partner.

Or could be “action” action which can be very high for all ages in Asia, or other places like Germany or Ukraine or Dubai or I don’t know pick somewhere.

But I’m specifically talking about Taiwan.

This is the point, I’m trying to do that,

Yes but without the ‘e’

Yeah why not give it a try, earlier comment of bank account may also be needed :joy:

No, add the “e.” That’s how the locals pronounce it…like it rhymes with tangerine. You need to 入境隨俗 if you want the full experience. :grin:

2 Likes

And you’ll have to continue doing it. When conversing in English the Taiwanese rarely say much, answers are often one word only, and few questions are asked.

I’m not criticising them for this, just pointing out a fact.

1 Like

This is interesting. I used to get these one-word answers a lot when I used Tinder out there and I found it very frustrating. I wasn’t sure if it was because they didn’t want to talk to me or because of the language barrier, but these one-word answers were common even when they were the ones instigating the conversation. I’m not sure what you’re meant to do in that situation.

2 Likes

I don’t know in terms of dating, but when teaching you just have to keep asking questions. They generally don’t like it. I believe there’s a teaching theory that one word answers are OK and not rude, which perhaps explains why it’s so commonplace. More likely is the fear of using incorrect English.

4 Likes

I get that with teaching, because the students don’t necessarily want to be there. But I don’t understand why somebody would go out of their way to instigate conversation with me in English on Tinder and then shy away from using English. Maybe they’re hoping I can speak good Chinese?

2 Likes

I’ve no idea, but you’re going to have to figure it out if you want to dip your wick.