Toilet Paper: Toilet or Can?

Flush it Down or Toss it In?

• I flush it, and I’d keep flushing even if they made it punishable by life imprisonment
  • I flush if it’s nasty, toss it in the can if it’s not that bad
  • I toss it in the can if there’s a sign on the door, flush if there isn’t
  • Of course I toss it in the can! Putting toilet paper in the toilet could stop up the drains!

0 voters

I can’t imagine that this hasn’t been asked before, but I can’t find it on search, so…

Do you follow the Taiwanese rule about putting your used toilet paper in the trash can, or do you flush it down the comode no matter what the signs say?

Me? I flush it.

I flush it as well unless I know the water power is weak like that at my parents’ house. I got scolded by my mom at the first time to flush toilet paper there. :saywhat:

TomHill’s gonna love this thread.

I recall about a hundred years ago when my 5th grade teacher told us about his trips to Asia and how farmers got so pissed off about toilet paper being included in “night soil”. It littered the rice paddies. Of course, he also told us about rickshaw races for $5.00 U.S. which was a months salary for some poor guy trying to feed his kids. (Actually, I never liked him much after that, but I digress) I am led to believe that this custom of putting shit paper in the trash can originated when Taiwan still had very small discharge sewage pipes and the paper clogged the pipes. Of course now, at least in most places, the discharge pipes are of a more appropriate size. The tradition carries on with no valid reason what with more modern facilities and disposable paper products.
I also refuse to put my soiled paper in the trash can. If it clogs . . . well, hell, that’s what the nearby plunger is for. Actually, we are doing a service to the country by keeping plunger factories in business.

If it clogs…My bf will be informed to flush it…
The smell is …as far as I am concerned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Flush it?
Whatever. :beatnik:

To bad for you guys but this issue has been discussed quite a while ago as have all other Toilet topics in Taiwan … anyways, I don’t toss it anywhere, I put it in my pocket to take home and dispose it there, or wash it and use it again.

In the bowl, of course. Is there an alternative? :smiling_imp:

I FLUSH because I don’t give a shit about pipes that can/will/might get blocked! I don’t care, I don’t C A R E !!

Isn’t is strange how people here in Taiwan, those in my office in the Science Park especially, worry about something as unimportant as toiletpaper blocking pipes while they pollute the drinking water in Hsinchu with chemicals/heavy metals/waste from the very Science Park I’m working at?

Where’s the notice board? Stan has spoken!!

1 Like

i make little origami animals out of it and put them on my head. I suggest you do the same.

The cleaning lady just went by the office with a garbage bag, transparent I might add, full of used toilet paper from the girl’s room. Ai yoooo!!! I better get outta here because the boy’s room is next!

Why is it so fucking primitive? We build wafers and chips and stuff, yet we don’t have proper pipes in the toilets.

Aaargh! Where is that other thread? The “What pissed you right off today?” thread?

What do the guys who own their own places do? I flush because I figure blocked pipes are the landlord’s problem. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking Bob_Honest might have an interesting comment on this one…

At home, I flush, plunger is right outside the door if needed. The only thing I throw in the covered bucket is nose blow.

Away from home, I flush and don’t give a darn about plugging the pipes.

When the pipes are clogged I like to watch them doing the breast stroke, fun to look at :laughing:

I’ve never even seen any of the pipes actually getting clogged.
Sure, there are going to be times that happens, it happens in the States, too, but it can’t be that bad.

I hear from people I know (and therefore believe they’re telling the truth) that pipes really do get clogged from time to time.

I flush at home and public toilets.

The only case when I won’t flush is if I’m in someone’s home and I see that they use a trashcan. Out of respect.

Sanitary pads and tampons, however, will easily clogg a toilet, so don’t throw those, people.

I always flush toilet paper, but try to avoid if they put kind of tissue paper there - ref. another thread.
Anyway, if I pack it tight and flush one by one, I always get away with it.

Flushing

[quote=“stan”]The cleaning lady just went by the office with a garbage bag, transparent I might add, full of used toilet paper from the girl’s room. Ai yoooo!!! I better get outta here because the boy’s room is next!

Why is it so fucking primitive? We build wafers and chips and stuff, yet we don’t have proper pipes in the toilets.
Aaargh! Where is that other thread? The “What pissed you right off today?” thread?[/quote]

:loco: Yeah,That is very strange,huh.

yes, tissue paper and toilet paper… Big difference.

Given the pipes are so crappy where I live, I have to put it in the basket.

[quote=“Mr He”]yes, tissue paper and toilet paper… Big difference.

Given the pipes are so crappy where I live, I have to put it in the basket.[/quote]

Aren’t all toilet pipes “crappy”?

I always flush. And I agree with Stan’s logic.