Too hot, too sunny, too humid ... the weather sucks 2011

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]I don’t even want to know what the temperature is in Taidong. I’m in a concrete box of a classroom that is like a sauna. The students come here after P.E. and they’re already drenched in sweat. Then they sweat more. I sweat more. Everyone sweats more. My poor/idiot dog wants to go outside and run around because he’s that kind of dog. We don’t take him out in the middle of the day, but he complains if we don’t let him out by himself. Then he comes inside and doesn’t move for about thirty minutes. He normally hates water, but even he comes back for more now if we spray him with the hose.

One side-effect of this weather is that I barely feel like eating at all.[/quote]
I love the summers here, but I have to say I DO feel for you guys who work in elementary school with no air-con. I’ve subbed that before and done Summer Camps at one and it sucks big time. Nothing worse than feeling hot and drenched in sweat with a bunch of even more sweaty kids locked together in a concrete swelter box of a classroom having to pretend you’re upbeat and excited.
Still, you guys do have a lovely long paid summer vacation coming up, so I don’t feel too sorry for you. :wink:

Indeed! We’re going to Australia for almost five weeks. My wife has never been ice skating, so we’re going to do that. My wife has also never seen snow, and we’re going hiking in Tasmania, so hopefully, she will. I am very much looking forward to winter in Australia. I love Australian winters.

April and October are the best months here for me.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]I don’t even want to know what the temperature is in Taidong. I’m in a concrete box of a classroom that is like a sauna. The students come here after P.E. and they’re already drenched in sweat. Then they sweat more. I sweat more. Everyone sweats more. My poor/idiot dog wants to go outside and run around because he’s that kind of dog. We don’t take him out in the middle of the day, but he complains if we don’t let him out by himself. Then he comes inside and doesn’t move for about thirty minutes. He normally hates water, but even he comes back for more now if we spray him with the hose.

One side-effect of this weather is that I barely feel like eating at all.[/quote]

Does not help that Taidong gets this hot air current that heats the place up like a furnace. 37 I think it was on the weekend, has reached 42 sometimes…

As to sweaty teenagers… I feel your pain, man. Mmm, what if I put my dogs ina plastic swimming pool… :ponder:

I have lived almost as far north as you can go. Barrow Alaska. In the winter it will freeze a bottle of Vodka solid if left outside. No2 Diesel turns to a weird opaque jelly. Air so still and cold it will freeze the top layer of liquid on your eyeball if you keep your eyes open for more than 30 seconds. Even a hot cup of coffee thrown outside will instantly vaporize into a frozen steam and fall as ice before it hits the ground.( usually at about 80-85 below Fahrenheit or -62 Celcius) I can tollerate and even enjoy this weather. I moved to Texas at 19 and there was a drout that lasted 90 days. It was over 102 degrees every day. Cracks opened up on everyone’s yard that were big enough to drive a car into. Yet Taiwan still, has an unescapable wet heat that is overwhelming and continues to stifle even when I move into an air conditioned area. The only time it doesn’t bother me is if I am near a large body of water with minimal clothing and cold one’s chillin. Currently it is raining with the first lightning I have seen this year. Looks like it is around the Xindian Zhong he south Taipei City at the moment.

For future reference:

[quote]Due to Thunderstorm in the Maokong Area, Maokong Gondola’s Service is Suspended at 14:31.[/quote] :smiley:

i am running away from Taipei… coz of this hot humid weather. Will come back in September :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s pretty damn cold. I’m going to be trying to envision that, and my frozen bottle of vodka, at work today when I’m almost dead of this rotting wet heat. Thanks.

Ugh, hate this weather, can’t stop sweating. My neighbors are all worried: why is your face so red? I am wearing sun screen, it is the friggin’ heat!

Which, by the way, according to the CWB, we can look forward to
40 days of hellish 40 degrees
-or so, at least 35- this summer.
:cry:
:snivel:
:runaway:
:rant:

Really 40 degrees?? That would be hell…considering we’ve been battling 43-45 for the past month and will do so next month. Really, 40 for Taipei is swelterrrrrrrring.

Winter in Australia…going to Tasmania. :smiley:

All my pets are sleeping with me because I have the AC on. Cats on or under the bed, doggie at the door, under the fan…

touche! :blush:

Loving this heat. Every weekend I’m on the beach having a few cold ones. It rocks!

I could do with an a/c in the bedroom, though…

I was convinced that Washington D.C. in June/July/August was the hottest place on earth, that was until today. I found a Chinese restaurant called “Formosa” seeing as I plan to move to Taiwan asap, I had to go try it out, and maybe ask for some “true” Chinese/Taiwanese food (as opposed to the Americanized version) they were unable to accommodate me for that, though it was the best Americanized Chinese food I have found since moving here to Northern Virginia. (just outside of D.C.) Anyway, the owner/waitress told me that her Mother-in-law comes here from Taiwan every summer to escape the heat! I can’t imagine going to a place that is 95 degrees (35 Celsius) to escape the heat!

Good luck staying cool everyone! Hopefully I won’t instantly collapse from the heat the moment I get off the plane.

The humidity is a major factor here.

I imagine there are much worse places. In fact, I know there are. Southeast Asia is brutal before the rains. I can’t imagine India would be much nicer. I should imagine the Arabian Peninsula is never exactly fun. Large parts of Africa must be dreadful. Central Australia would be bloody terrible any time of year. There’d have to be parts of the Americas that couldn’t be gentle.

Taipei is beautiful today. Breeze coming through the window, insects are buzzing. Perfect weather.

Try going to Europe to escape the heat… the hottest it ever gets is around 30, on the off chance a heat wave hits its still not nearly as bad as Taiwan. However no one has air conditioning except for public places or trains (which doesn’t always work) so if it does get hot, there is no escape.

Oh yeah, I’m sure there are worse places, I was just half joking when I said I thought it was the hottest place on the planet. Though, to be honest, it is impossible for me to imagine a heat hotter than the hottest days here. I mean, when it is 101 F (38 C) it is the hottest thing I can imagine. But I do know it exists. I don’t look forward to being educated in what that feels like, but it is just something I’ll have to deal with if I want to enjoy the “beautiful island”.

I think Central Australia is supposed to be the hottest habitable place, or at least an episode of Man vs Wild I watched made it seem that way. I have a lot of respect for the Aboriginals that live/lived there.

But we are getting off topic here, I just wanted to say good luck and offer some sympathy to all your forumosans that are dealing with days that have 40+ C weather.

[quote=“TheAmericanNomad”]I was convinced that Washington D.C. in June/July/August was the hottest place on earth, that was until today. I found a Chinese restaurant called “Formosa” seeing as I plan to move to Taiwan asap, I had to go try it out, and maybe ask for some “true” Chinese/Taiwanese food (as opposed to the Americanized version) they were unable to accommodate me for that, though it was the best Americanized Chinese food I have found since moving here to Northern Virginia. (just outside of D.C.) Anyway, the owner/waitress told me that her Mother-in-law comes here from Taiwan every summer to escape the heat! I can’t imagine going to a place that is 95 degrees (35 Celsius) to escape the heat!

Good luck staying cool everyone! Hopefully I won’t instantly collapse from the heat the moment I get off the plane.[/quote]

I lived in Maryland just outside of D.C. for five years before moving to Taipei. Imagine the most humid summer day in D.C., and then imagine the weather is like that for 5 months straight.

To be honest, I grew up in Dallas, and I found the weather conditions in Maryland to be quite pleasant. Mild winters, nice spring/fall, mild summer. I can’t recall a summer day keeping me from enjoying a pleasant run outside in the afternoon/evening. The weather in Taipei, by comparison, is much worse.

Edit: Also, the most authentic Taiwanese places I know of in that area are “Bob’s Noodle 66” and “Bob’s 88”, but the food really isn’t all that great… You can even try out some stinky tofu.

Once again, it’s noon, and the rain starts. Come on, rain at night: cool things off.
I’d like to have a few words with the deity that programmed this place.