sadly lacking…but the rest of the movie was awesome! Had everything a guy movie needs…loads of mindless violence, blood by the bucket loads (I actually ducked a couple times when some splash came at the screen), some mindless jubbly shots…

Considering how much damage only 300 Spartans did to the Persian army, it makes you wonder what they could have done there with entire army at their disposal straight from the start.

Saw the movie last night. Wasn’t expecting much and was very impressed. Also assumed the whole thing was complete and utter fiction till I read up on it a bit.

This is a pretty good source for what the movie is loosely based on:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Definitely recommend this movie (for the boys at least, and quite possibly for the girls, if they like muscly men and stuff).

Yup, was in Herodotus’ History. A storming read.

Yeah, it ain’t history, there ain’t much plot, the actors are all white guys with some sort of quasi Scottish accent, there are a bunch of freaks, the serious scenes were so dramatized they were inadvertantely funny, and the sex scenese were just plain weird. but…

That was just plain the most fun I have had at a movie since the first Matrix. Seriously.

and it gets kudos because the Spartans actually fight together like an army, using real tactics instead of having the usual bit where the hero runs out by himself and singlehandly destroys the other side.

I dunno, I’ll probably see it eventually 'cause I like Frank Miller’s Batman and Sin City, but I don’t expect anything like real history from a movie like this. He made it for today’s times and audience, and I suppose he thinks more realism would offend his audience just like Oliver Stone’s.

TNT, an american cable station that we used to get in Canada, ran a weekly special called “Movies for guys who like movies.”

300 should be the only movie they show from now on.

And IMAX should be the only kind of screen we watch movies on.

Absolutely stunning film.

I paraphrase:

Tend to your breakfasts and eat hearty, for tomorrow we dine in Hell.

I, in case you can’t figure it out, love love loved this movie.

[quote=“Toe Save”]TNT, an american cable station that we used to get in Canada, ran a weekly special called “Movies for guys who like movies.”

300 should be the only movie they show from now on.

And IMAX should be the only kind of screen we watch movies on.

Absolutely stunning film.

I paraphrase:

Tend to your breakfasts and eat hearty, for tomorrow we dine in Hell.

I, in case you can’t figure it out, love love loved this movie.[/quote]

In case you didn’t know the nickname for this movie before it was released was “Kittens Making Candles” because the movie was so manly that to call it anything else would make your tongue split in two and your teeth shatter. There was an awesome (silly) review of this movie stating things like “I just saw a movie that will give your eyes boners.”

No one’s mentioned this, but that was one sexy queen. For all the testosterone in the movie, Lena Headey was mesmerizing. I’m surprised she hasn’t been in anything memorable. Reminded me of a younger and tougher version of Andie MacDowell.

The wheat field scene at the end with her and her son reminded me of the final scene in Gladiator, except Lena made a much sexier mom than Russel Crowe’s widow.

How come they always focus on the Spartans…I mean there were more Thesbians there than Spartans

[quote=“Incubus”]No one’s mentioned this, but that was one sexy queen. For all the testosterone in the movie, Lena Headey was mesmerizing. I’m surprised she hasn’t been in anything memorable. Reminded me of a younger and tougher version of Andie MacDowell.

The wheat field scene at the end with her and her son reminded me of the final scene in Gladiator, except Lena made a much sexier mom than Russel Crowe’s widow.[/quote]

You mean like this?

[quote=“almondbiscuit”]
and what happened to lena headey?she’s gorgeous! didn’t even recognise her in the trailer! i think it’s the eyebrows (no longer brooke shields II) and braces (no more gap). she looks like an LA actor now.[/quote]

Lena Headey’s not afraid to get her baps out either. I’ve seen her in four films now (that I can remember), and I think she’s got her baps out in all of them.

Lluvia en los Zapatos (One of the many English titles for this is “If Only”)
The Parole Officer
Aberdeen

I almost saw it last night, but I went to the Breeze centre and found it was rated . WTF? Is it a cutdown version? Anyone know?

That’s where I saw it. Don’t confuse a Taiwan PG with a US PG. It’s not a cutdown version. I thought the movie earned every inch of its US R-rating, what with “the baps”, decapitations and other severed body parts. Violence is just not measured the same way here as it is done in the US.

so what can I expect at an R rated movie in Taiwan? does that involve a bit of fluff down there if u know what i mean?

Actually I wouldn’t consider 300 all that violent. I mean theres a lot of fighting and blood, but its in a war situation.
To me, violence is like a guy beating someone with a baseball bat, even if they dont die, or theres no blood, its just move violent to me.

I guess here I am speaking of violence as something I don’t want kids to watch. It seems to me war stuff is polotics, and as its history its suitable for kids, they need to learn about this. Also, the nudity in the movie (other than the sex) is also just a fact, back then people were nude half the time, even fighting in the nude to avoid cloth getting in their wounds.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Saving Private Ryan with a pg-13 because its real history. However a movie like Training Day which has a lot less killing is a lot more violent because its all crime based.

Is this a homo movie? It sounds like a homo movie.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Don’t worry, they took all the original homosexual behavior out to avoid offending people.

Too bad. The wife loves homos. Her favorite show is that one about the interior decorators in New York (interior decorators are all homos dontcha know? Especially the ones in New York. New York is so trendy.) who go around teaching straight guys about interior design and how to treat a lady and such. I guess none of those guys are in the movie. Anyway, I think Ian has a good point about the violence. The violence in war just isn’t as violent as the violence, say, in crime, because war is about history and economics and politics whereas the violence in crime is more about history and economics and politics so it’s different. Anyway, you should see this movie. I hear it’s pretty good.

Don’t worry, they took all the original homosexual behavior out to avoid offending people.[/quote]

He’s right.

Miller made the Athenians into limp-wristed nanny boys instead. I think they called them, " Boy chasing skirt wearing

Athenians." in the movie.

Wheras the Spartans were boy-humping , jock-strap-wearing Greeks. (actually they didn’t even wear jock straps)

I think U.S. audiences couldn’t bear to watch bloodthirsty homos unless they are portrayed as serial killers.

Bubba raises a good point. This may be a bit off topic, but I have a theory that a great many straight people in the US actually want homosexuals to be easily identified by their behavior as it makes them seem weak and less of a threat, easier to avoid because they’re obvious, and also less threatening because they’re so obviously different in their behavior that straight people can point to the differences and say “I’m not at all like that!”

A slightly more realistic portrayal in this movie like the one Bubba describes would be interesting, because I also wonder if in these “enlightened days” it has become just such behavior that straight people have become more afraid of than homosexuality itself. Would people cheer for homosexual, masculine Spartans over homosexual, effeminate Athenians?