Tourist on Ketogenic diet in Taiwan

I see. Thank you!

Thank you for all the information!

Thank you!

My son’s diet is very limited. This is one of the reasons we always Air BnB versus hotels ( make sure it has a kitchen! ), which is something you should seriously consider for travel in the future if you keep up with keto - it makes life so much easier.

4 Likes

true. Kaohsiung (like 88 Tower) has plenty of places to stay at from anywhere from 1 day to more, which have a little kitchen inside for cooking, etc.

Actually, I was thinking today that it is not hard to do keto here.

Yes, you can find plenty of ready to eat, salad bars, etc. Best choice eating out is Hot Pot. Tell them to hold the rice/noodles. Eat to your heart’s content of cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables and meats/seafood. Great in winter.

Japanese places with sashimi and boiled veggies. Broiled salmon and sardine plus steamed egg.

They have local braised and broiled veggies and meats in soy sauce stands everywhere.

And tuna here is great. Sardines and other stuff like mackerel can be bought canned cheaply at Indonesian or Filipino stores. Japanese tuna package of 3 is great for snacks.

Nuts and such you can do Costco or the many chains of organic products stores, which do not need membership. Maybe IKEA, always interesting food there.

I normally just hit the buffet places and pick what I like for a simple, affordable lunch. Keto places here tend to be too expensive and IMHO too complicated.

2 Likes

I’ve had these a few times recently.

White can comes in a package of three.

Seems like it’s available in every type of grocery store and I think maybe even convenience stores as single cans.

I wonder though if it’s truly good quality since it seems to be readily available everywhere and fairly cheap.

Maybe try the sea chicken

Something to be aware of-as anybody who has done keto and actually tracked it with keto sticks rather than just taking keto to mean “reduced carb” - is it almost any place unless explicitly advertised that you can go out to eat at will have lots of carbs in the food even if it’s not in the form of obvious bread or rice or noodles.

A lot of what people are mentioning here does exist: IKEA meatballs, tea eggs, chicken breasts at the 7-Eleven, etc., but how much do you want to bet those meatballs have flour and sugar or some other fillers inside? And actually the majority of that stuff at the convenience stores, like I said, actually has quite high carb contents. The only place with decent tea eggs from a carb standpoint is Hilife - Costco’s have slightly more carbs but still within doable range if taken in moderation, but i believe they do have sugar in them.

You add to that, how much Asian people love to sneak sugar in wherever possible - even in salty food - combined with the general obliviousness to carbs as taken for granted, and you’re eating out options become severely limited, even if things “look“ carb free.

There is no city super in Kaohsiung. Plenty of Jasons, but if you like shopping there then you can basically add prosciutto and whatever else similar to your diet staples because they have similar price points, and your world opens up in that way. On that note, Costco has excellent anchovies in their own oil, but I digress.

I did just remember, Carrefour recently added some decent premade chicken breasts but I’m not sure if all the locations have them. I’ve also looked at the canned fish in the supermarkets and I haven’t found much that was not in some kind of tomato sauce or had other ingredients that resulted in relatively high carbs.

Unfortunately, if you read the other replies here, you are apt to get a much more optimistic perspective of your prospects here than is the case. I spent a long time coming supermarket shelves and convenience store ones as well only to find that prospects were pretty dim. I survived on those meatballs that I told you about for quite a while until I discovered Costco’s inventory here and it has been the saving grace for me. Canned boiled chicken breast, canned boiled tuna, canned boiled salmon – all excellent as staples, the gaps around which you can fill with stuff from supermarkets and even Costco itself as it has things like bulk avocado and broccoli and other vegetables that are frozen.

There is of course the excellent suggestion earlier here as well to try Airbnb‘s as not only do they have kitchens-which may be useless if you don’t like to cook anyway-but those kitchens usually come with big fridges which are extremely useful when on a diet. For longer-term stays, you also get much more value for your money and at much nicer accommodations.

1 Like

Keto sounds like a barrel of laughs.

4 Likes

:rofl:

I was thinking about the added sugar, too. I don’t believe this is unique to Taiwan but in all packaged foods.
Still, eating a tea egg has to be better then a big bowl of noodles or one of those horrid plastic wrapped chemical laden breads.
I know people on keto who have done quite well and eat a snack at 7-11 when they’ve been with friends eating typical fare.
I’m not keto but learned to eat more healthy fats, less carbs, very little sugar, and more hours between meals. I’m 10kg lighter since September and it has been effortless. People tell me I must be eating less and exercising more which I’ve found has absolutely nothing to do with it for my situation. I avoid sugar and eat between 12-6pm. I still have another 10kg to go and it probably won’t be effortless.

1 Like

That’s fairly significant.

This reminds me of the Real Jesus and True Jesus Church fighting it out :grin:.

It’s ridiculous to say Costco is the only option.

I never shop at Costco. Avoid.

It’s ridiculous to not shop at Costco :rofl:

Actually it is quite simple. It is one of the less restrictive diets I have tried. And the kicker: you don’t go hungry.

1 Like

Ah, but were you doing it properly?

I suspect many of you will revert to mean soon and go back to your wicked ways. I’m usually ahead of the pack by about 3 years and I fell off the low carb high fat lifestyle about 3 years ago. Hey don’t hate the messenger. Just saying

I guess so. I had a waistline. And cheekbones.

Actually, depending on your metabolism and age/health etc you are allowed somewhere between 6 to 20 something carbs on average, which is what you would normally find in regular food. Moreover, in Taiwan we are blessed with so many fresh veggies, especially green leaves, which are filling, nutritious and delicious.

3 Likes

Most of the have rice flour in it. That’s why they are springy and chewy. Lots of stir fried meat has potato or other starch in it. Omelets have sugar added.