Typhoons 2019?

I left work earlier, way before they declared holiday, and I dropped by the Family Mart to pick up a package. Lo and behold, people were already grabbing the prepared meals as if on sale. Especially fried Chicken.

As long as we have power, there’s food. I forgot to get gas for the little range.

All pets have a month’s worth of food. No snacks though.

I have two boxes of ice cream bars that were on sale a couple weeks ago in Welcome.

Last bit: the strong winds overturned a tour bus and about 8 foreigners, from US, Singapore, etc, got hurt.

There have been several scooter accidents because of the wind. So be careful out there or better, stay in.

Why are they in a tour bus in this weather? That just sounds like terrible planning. This isn’t an unpredictable earthquake, it’s a slow moving typhoon that is approaching at blistering speeds of up to 19 kmh.

Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones have to be one of the most predictable natural disasters ever. You can literally watch it approaching.

well my morning flight has now changed to 11pm. losing a whole day of my 3 day holiday, booked a nice hotel and everything. bastard mediocre typhoon!

at least i got an email update from the flight company. last time this happened to me i went to the airport (by taxi, and got drenched on the way) and i had to sit in the airport basically wet all day because of the hardcore airport AC.

1 Like

Well it happened earlier, when the weather had not turned, no official land warning yet so I guess it was OK until a sudden unpredictable gust hit them.

I see that most flights from Hong Kong have been cancelled. Does anyone know if it’s the same from Singapore? The Taoyuan airport website reads like it was written by a five year-old with terminal brain cancer.

2 Likes

Just go to the carrier’s website and check the flight number there. Their info should be as good as that of a five year-old with brain cancer, I reckon.

sKEhgSZ

Shanghai? More like…Xiahai!!!1!

Eh? Ehhhh???

3 Likes

Got a friend stuck in Korea, they told her all flights to Taiwan cancelled until further notice.

I did go out last night to the convenience store for a bit and everybody was buying instant noodles, soda, crackers and beer. Entire families out shopping. I could see stocking up on bottled water if you don’t already have enough but do people really not have food in their homes?

That’s an interesting path.

The storm can be seen in real time from the Himawari 8 satellite:

https://himawari8.nict.go.jp/

Is the typhoon set to intensify, or how come today is a day off? Employers must be loosing millions due to this, so at the very least unless it intensifies they should call people back to work for the afternoon.

I can’t tell if you’re serious?

1 Like

It’s a non-event. The government will take some heat from businesses and the next Typhoon will have less of a chance for a day off.

Happens.

There would be a riot if they tried calling back Taiwan’s overworked and overstressed employees during a typhoon day off.

The government has to make a call and they never know what will happen so they tend to err on the side of safety

3 Likes

My personal theory is the govt. figures for 2 typhoon holidays a year so if it gets to August and there’s been none then they throw in a freebie. It is seriously farcical, we’d play footy in weather way worse than this every week in Wellington when I was a lad.

3 Likes

TBH this is my first typhoon day off in Taiwan, but it seems to me that there would be no problem to go to work.

Odd that they announce the day before if the next day is off, seems to me it would make much more sense to announce it at e.g 4am when you know much better the situation, and then if the situation improves you call everyone back to work for the afternoon(this is how its done in hk fyi. and seems to me to make much more sense)

oh well, heading out for a run now

Odd, at my place in Neihu the trees out front are getting all bent out of shape, taking a serious pounding from the wind. It’s not at all a non-event in my neck of the woods.