Typhoons 2025

I would too!

This Typhoon though was strong than expected, it was raining hard here about midnight and some strong winds. Not as bad as last years, but still strong enough from the photo last night. Big circle shape spinning hard with edges hitting land.

Around 2am it was pretty strong in Nantou, but no damages. Power was out just for a minute.
No visible flooding when I went to work in Taichung and now just a light rain.

Neihu currently no rain, not even a light wind

Taichung stopped raining and sky is clearing up.

Slight gusts of wind occasionally up here in San Chung with no rain as yet although dark ominous clouds have crept in which I believe will bring in heavy rains later today. I pray that the sealant and tape I used to seal my Aircon holds up and no water leaks in and flood my bedroom :folded_hands:

It’s no work day here though like you may go to office a bit late.

The bullet train is not running in South this morning, and last night news of some scary rides.

Follow up news on this

My company doesn’t pay typhoon days as it is not mandatory. I am not wasting a vacation day on this and come to work, otherwise this days salary would get deducted from fixed monthly pay. Taiwan labor laws at their best.

In the scary rides department:

Bus ride becomes boat ride

Plane landing must retry, crossed winds

Pretty sure the trains were operating into the night last night…saw them running during the typhoon from my apartment :hushed_face:.

[!quote] focustaiwan.tw
One victim, a 60-year-old man who relied on a respirator, died after a power outage cut electricity to his medical equipment at around 2 a.m. The second, a 69-year-old fruit vendor, was killed when a falling tree struck him shortly after 4 a.m.

That what I saw in the news (You live a lot closer than me,20-30 minutes or more for me to the station)

Most of the damage reported thus far involved crops, with total losses of at least NT$237.91 million as of Monday morning, followed by agricultural infrastructure with losses totaling N$16.9 million and livestock with losses of NT$2.35 million, the MOA said.

The hardest-hit crop were pomelos, which reported losses of NT$118.4 million, followed by longans with losses of at least NT$34.43 million.

Ponkan mandarins, food corn and bananas also suffered estimated losses of at least NT$17.52 million, NT$12.33 million and NT$9.62 million, respectively, the ministry said.

Livestock losses primarily involved chickens, according to the MOA.

I am trying so fucking hard to bite my tongue I might actually be drawing blood :whistle:

Up early, and I can hear the surf pounding the shore from the deck. Yeesh. Will have to go down and check it out, see how much magic aboriginal wood washed up.

Now I am curious.

Is there reason to believe that some farmers will use the Typhoon as a pretense to exaggerate their losses to receive compensation money? Or any other “known secret” about this…?

Yes

I’ve never understood the obsession with public compensation of farmers, other than for obvious political reasons. Private insurance exists for a reason.

I must confess I was not sad to see the pomelos littering the orchard floor, though I recognize the blood, sweat and tears in that business.

Someone I know lost their whole avocado plantation. They will plant no more.

I think it is logical to protect farmers from an strategic, national security point of view.

In other news, we potentially have incoming typhoon in the near future, at least a lot of rain.