Typoon 2006 new

CTTV is saying normal work and school day for Taipei tomorrow.

[quote=“david”]For those of you who use Google Earth, there’s a really useful tool here:
gearthblog.com/blog/archives … torms.html
It tracks all typhoons and updates itself automatically with plenty of info …
[/quote]

Thx for posting that! Works great.

Obviously Ma’s internal quota of at least five forecast deaths was not met. Super. I love going to work in a fucking hurricane. I’ll not be voting for that big string of misery again with his feckin’ stupid horsey face.

The govt website which makes these announcements says that all of Taiwan must attend work and classes as normal tomorrow, except no work and no classes in Fang1shan1 Village in particular in Pingdong County today – no idea why, though; maybe flooding from Bopha???.

(屏東縣 枋山鄉: 今天停止辦公上課。)

Here in Hsientien…not even a breeze!

2am in Taipei and it’s dry.
It’s been on and off during the day, but I’m still waiting for the sky to open up.

Wasn’t raining at all at 6, but now it’s coming down fairly hard in Taipei.

No big deal, though. It’s only rain. Seen worse. No reason to call off work in my opinion. The only hassle is one arrives in the office with wet shoes and pants.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]The govt website which makes these announcements says that all of Taiwan must attend work and classes as normal tomorrow, except no work and no classes in Fang1shan1 Village in particular in Pingdong County today – no idea why, though; maybe flooding from Bopha???.

(屏東縣 枋山鄉: 今天停止辦公上課。)[/quote]

What is the link to this site?

Bucketing down here in Young Ho.

Silent and overcast here in Longtan. No wind, and no rain yet.

What is the link to this site?[/quote]
http://ca2.cpa.gov.tw/cpa2004/fixpage/LYSD0001.html

We also posted it earlier in this thread and it’s also on the last page of the typhoon preparedness sticky, so you can always find it.
:wink:

Beautiful eye, btw.

Trivia: CNN says Saomai is the Vietnamese name for the planet Venus.

not currently in Taiwan but I was speaking to one of my friends earlier and he said it was raining hard. He lives in Jongli (sorry if I spelled that wrong) But that was in the early morning (Taiwan time) so not sure what it’s doing there now. Be careful everybody!:slight_smile:

Seems as if it’s running out of juice …

Actually, it’s grown very strong, with winds of 140 knots, gusting to 170; and have a look at how large the inner circles (wind radii) are in the latest pic:

It only seems like it’s ‘running out of juice’ because it has slipped northward and isn’t affecting us much; when it hits the PRC coast, it’s still going to have plenty of juice, probably enough to kill scores or even hundreds of people.

8/15 EDIT: [quote]Typhoon Saomai, the most powerful storm to hit China in 50 years, killed at least 255 people as it tore through the country’s south-east, state media said. Another 160 people are still missing in the three provinces of Fujian, Zhejiang and Jiangxi, Xinhua news agency said. [/quote]

Wouldn’t want to be living in Fuzhou now.

What is “luck”?
Having a simple day off or escaping a devastating part of nature which will bring sorrow to many?
Would being selfish, I want a day off, but what the heck, each time the casualties’ can not ask for those days off anymore no. they have a “life-off”
Bloody climate change. or should I blame it on my grand mothers niece who farts to much over there in Guam.

CNN is reporting that Super Typhoon Saomai is “the most powerful storm to hit China in five decades!” :astonished:

The BBC is saying that 1.3million people have been evacuated in China. 2 dead so far.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4778631.stm

Sorry if this has been covered recently:

For whatever reason, I can’t seem to get the link to work for the Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii.

Is it simply not accessible any longer or just a problem that I’m having?

Thanks.

[quote=“seeker4”]For whatever reason, I can’t seem to get the link to work for the Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii.

Is it simply not accessible any longer or just a problem that I’m having?
Thanks.[/quote]seeker4 -
There is a continous love/hate relationship with .mil sites being accessed from out of the USA ISP’s.
This might be the problem.