🇬🇧 UK - London | Don't travel now/Nightclubs in London

Yes, and what was JD Hogg’s full name? Boss Hogg - Wikipedia

His namesake is Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederate States of America.

1 Like

Even a decent black coffee will cost more than two quid now in London. go to Italy for cheap and good it seems

4 Likes

just cheap, not easy to find good cheap coffee anymore. Just be aware that now many bars (that’s how we call cafes back home) r owned and operated by Chinese, who don’t care to make decent coffee, they just need a biz to issue visas for their families, so they literally buy the places in cash and then run them for a few yrs, then go bust. But ppl already in the country and no one checks if they leave or not…

2 Likes

Around 2.85 for a Americano at Costa/Caffè Nero.

1 Like

Bring a few packs of powdered coffee. Put it into a drinking flask fill up at the airport drinking fountain, knock in a few shots of whiskey and it’s good. Trust me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If in London, I basically only get coffee at greggs haha, otherwise I’ll be broke

1 Like

Marlow is a lovely little town. If you’re a bridge nerd you can walk across Marlow bridge, a smaller version of the Chain Bridge in Budapest, built by the same engineer.

3 Likes

Greggs–the UK’s equivalent of Tim Hortons, only better. I’ll take their baps, sausage rolls, coffee, salads, and sandwiches over Timmies any day.

2 Likes

Do Gregg’s serve in a crockery cup to sit in though? I have to drink in, with no plastic sippie cups, for religious reasons.

In some of the bigger stores, I think so. A lot of their stores moved to takeaway-only smaller places, though, because there was some weird tax thing where they charged more if you were eating in.

2 Likes

is that really a tax, or like in Taiwan some shops make it cheaper for take away as they have small seating areas

VAT

See (under “why do I pay more to eat in?”)

https://www.greggs.co.uk/faqs#:~:text=We%20have%20to%20charge%20VAT%20if%20you%20wish%20to%20‘eat%20in’%20which%20we%20then%20pass%20over%20to%20HMRC.

1 Like

Nice, very open on the info,

also says: We also charge a little extra in our cafĂŠ shops as we provide additional services.

Looks good, though a bit overcooked maybe

Only the toast but it still tasted good…homemade and artisanal bread

1 Like

Speaking of a good meal:

2 Likes

Quid has been better the past year, not sure why

Will report if I find a curry that is good

I was having some deep philosophical thoughts the other day and it occurred to me that Pret A Manger is literally a bourgeoisie Greggs. Quite comically so.

Let’s face it:-

• No one goes into Pret A Manger if they are actually hungry
  • Crayfish and Rocket Sandwich is ÂŁ5 and is snack-size
  • Pretentious French name despite being a British company
  • Gives the leftovers to the homeless to satisfy the ever-present middle-class guilt of their (ok, my) own capital successes

I personally think Greggs has better food though, it must be the gentle hum of the sense of threat mixed with the nine kids and the girlfriend with the bad eyebrows #Proud2BBritish

1 Like

I think you are in the majority there