Unlimited 4G Internet 499NT/Month, offer until 5/15 @ Chunghua Telecom (CHT)

Well, I got the 299 deal and didn’t have to provide any deposit. And it started without pretty much in the same hour we left the store.

But what really would throw me off (if I were in @Zapman shoes) is having to go back to the store after thinking it was all done. And worst, getting to know this from another store’s staff!

You are using logic.

That is weird. I have heard of them companies asking for deposits from new customers. Why ask from ane existing customer? Weird.

Anyways, thsi policy is like a “lucky” draw… aleatory.

1 Like

So what ive learned is my data points are irrelevant because each store does whatever they want anyway:).

Were you a new customer? Did you have a contract with FET before?

I didn’t have a contract before, but I was using a prepaid card from CHT. Similar to you, I was adding internet credits monthly, as needed.
Not sure if they considered me a new customer or not…

Finished the paperwork yesterday for the $499 deal. I’ve been their customer for over 7 years and didn’t have to pay a deposit. I think that I remember that over 5 years with them that I could avoid that. Going from $1399 to $499 is significant.

2 Likes

They ask for deposit due to the large numbers of lowlifes who sign up and then leave Taiwan before completing the contracts. There are regularly brand new high end phones for sale on various Facebook buy sell sites from losers signing up and selling the phones to pay for their tickets home. You have them to thank.

2 Likes

Yes, that makes sense because they are receiving a cellphone.

I am receiving a simcard…and data every month if I pay.

I guess they are just applying that to any contract they sell.

They still lose if you leave before the end of the contract. It’s a discounted rate and they’re banking on making a profit from the users who rack up bills beyond the 499 over the period of the contract, if you bow out early you take away that opportunity. Whilst locals may not have to pay the deposit there will be a cost to get out of the contract early.

I thought it was interesting that even locals need two forms of identification to get a sim.

Not sure about the details, but that has to do with criminals doing phone scams in the past. That’s why they require extra ID.

Sheer genius.

Paid the deposit at FET on Tuesday and was told it takes 3-5 days to activate. Still not activated…sigh

Going to go there today at lunch to see whats happening.

You probably have, but just in case, have you tried restarting your phone?

3 Likes

Actually I did not, tried now and it works. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

No worries. Doesn’t make sense to me why it works, but for some reason it does. :idunno:

Was pretty annoyed last year with FET when I extended my contract and they put me on 999 LTE unlimited after being a customer since 7 years + using the number already 7 years before that; however was only for 1 year until August this year.
May 15 called FET by mobile, asked whether I can switch to the 499 contract for 24 months.
15 minutes later my contract was switched, cancellation fee is 1,360 NTD, but saves me 12k in 24 months.

Cheers
Tom

When your sim card connects to the mobile network for the first time, it gets the status of your sim card once. When you loose signal or change tower it does not do it again.
Basically you need to “reboot” your sim card.

Mobile network protocols are an interesting topic. It is unbelievable how insecure those networks are. There are many improvements from GSM to LTE. But many providers cut corners and do not implement some of the security features.

Running your own GSM network

Running your own 3G/3.5G network

Detecting IMSI-catchers and other mobile network attacks

1 Like

Some on CHT contracts getting renewal offer via SMS