Visa Free Ways to extend stay

1 Like

I would never lie to get a visa. But we will know today if the airport will shut down or no.
I prefer to overstay. Basically I may book a flight lose all my money and still overstay. I think I will stay wait and leave at June. Don’t want to risk my or my family’s health and wondering around airport for hours.

20200320_165705|690x277

1 Like

They only mention those who overstay with a visa how about those that are visa free?

As mentioned by malte above, you’ll lose your visa-free privilege for one year. You’ll have to apply for a visa before you come to Taiwan.

I assume after overstaying in this scenario they will still require a tax certificate to allow you to board any plane out of Taiwan, something I have read from previous threads about those who overstayed.

A tax certificate from whom? I’m just here goofing off, not working illegally or otherwise.

1 Like

From the tax office here. Anyone that stays here more than 90 days in a tax year is supposed to file I believe, even if your income is 0 (and can prove it)

1 Like

Which year is that thread from?

1 Like

It seems they meant pay only the minimum fine, so in other words $2000 is actually the maximum fine.

I love the tone, though – promotion period! It makes me want to overstay just so I can enjoy their friendly service. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thanks malte. Yes, this part: ‘and a minimum fine of NT$2,000 (US$66)’ (…whaaat?) had me wondering what the maximum would be, so knowing it is a fixed rate answers that question.

Edit: Do they anticipate the travel restriction will be over by June 30. Imagine someone here via visa-exempt status flies out arond june 30, then flies in and applies for a visitor visa; what happens after June 30?

So the “No entry ban” on their list is a tad misleading as visa-free entry will be banned for a year.

2 Likes

I checked the dates and those threads were actually from some time ago.

2005:

2006:

Possible the rules have changed?

I don’t think tax receipts are an issue anymore when you fly out. Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

Latest news:

Automatic 30-day extension for foreigners entering Taiwan on or before March 21 with visa waiver, visitor visa, or landing visa (no application is required) (overstayers excepted). For further information, please visit https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5436-37c0d-2.html

4 Likes

The new overstay policy seems to be directed towards Indonesian etc. migrant workers who have overstayed.
If you are on visa-exempt and overstay, it would make not much difference (less money to pay for a fine) as either way you could only return on a visitor’s visa as you would get a 1 year ban for visa-exempt anyway.

2 Likes

Source where does it says this?

They didn’t wrote it on the website.
But some people called to ask and they told them about the visa free not working for 1 year.
I would recommend you to just stay extra 30 days that they allow to stay for covid 19 instead of overstaying.

1 Like

I see

“VI. Any foreign national overstaying his/her visit or residency under any of the following conditions may be exempted from the ban:a.Having overstayed the visit or residency for less than ninety-one days; however, entry through the visa-waiver or landing visa shall be disallowed for one year”

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141478/141482/148745/

The amnesty program may be more for blue collar workers.

For many of tourists, including who are doing visa runs, the amnesty is just the reduction of penalty to the minimum, 2000NTD.

3 Likes