Wack Things in Taiwan 2019

Are these the stinging red bugs people on the forum have mentioned? All this time here and I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of these, somehow…

What’s next year? Something odd, not related to the RAT!

Me neither.
I thought it was firecracker paper

A month or so ago I had them in the house every night, 5-6 of them for like a few weeks.

i don’t know if they’re dangerous, but they were everywhere today. On trees, on the ground, all gathering on top of only God knows what. I don’t know how many of them i squashed by simply walking, it was like a carpet.

I looked them up on Google and found a discussion generated by pics taken in Taipei:

1 Like

Vile! Reminds me of how ladybugs gather to winter in swarms all over your windowsill, but these are even nastier-seeming.

Ladybugs are cute, while those things look like gigantic mutated red ticks…

They’re soapberry bugs. Totally harmless and part of the natural tableau here. I love them, they’re cute! Where the Chinese Flame Tree grows, you will find them. It’s a bit disconcerting to see all this fear and hatred of them on display

4 Likes

Those are the harbringers of hell, pain and suffering…they bite.

No.

I think it’s just the general cockroach-ish shape that’s putting me off so much.

BUG LOVER!!!

2 Likes

But so do they sting/bite or not ?_? Do they lay eggs in our ears at night?

I’ve never seen them in Yilan in my area near the sea.

They don’t do anything cockroach like. They only eat soapberries and the like. They do seem to like forming circles around dead comrades though. I suspect they’re sucking the juices out of them

2 Likes

They should call them Lawyer Bugs

1 Like

Don’t worry, they’re very clean. They leave nothing behind while ripping out pieces of brain to feed their young. But they feed their young elsewhere, so that’s ok.

They are red so they suck blood … or something!

Recycle! Cradle to grave!

1 Like

I’ve soap in the house, they’ll attack!